• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

while on cycle, Do you train for pump or strength

MoTest

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
While on, do you train for strength or pump or both and why?

I don't do either. I train everything at 6-8 reps. I keep great form while pushing the most weight possible. You're not going to get big (if that's what you're trying to achieve) by going into the gym and doing sets/reps that you can already handle. You grow by pushing your muscles to do what they can't do. That way they have to grow in order to keep up. I have seen better gains than I ever have since adopting this way of doing things. Everyone is different though.

I guess i should state that i have always used a pyramid with my big 3. Toping out at a set of 4 reps then a lot of the time ill try maxing out. All my additional exercises i add in a lot more reps. 6-12 reps for all additional exercise. Reason for asking is a lot of the olympia guys i see doing 15 reps with everything. Never going to heavy. There must be a difference training while natty and training while taking copious amounts of gear.

two ways to build muscle

1. heavy reps to tear down the muslce fiber and then you let it recover and grow - longer wait before working the same muscle group again
2. lighter weight higher reps to fill the muscle w/ blood therefore shuttling more nutrients in - can work the same more muscle more frequently.

Most younger guys will go w/ option 1 as it's more of an ego lift routine. Older guys a lot of the time will opt for #2 as it's easier on the joints and less chance of injury.

I tend to mix the two. I do more #2 for frequency but mix in #1 occasionally to push the muscle and add strength.

I never chase a pump. I know if I do my work in the gym...even if I don't quite hit my mark on my rep range I will be good. Sometimes I miss my starting weights by a rep or two...if it is my starting weight I will just pound out the extra reps and move on to the next set...chances are on my last set I will miss my rep range by 1. If I feel I have one more good set I will jump and push it. Just put in the work and adjust for your next workout. The big thing I look for at the end of my workout is depletion. When my muscle is fatigued I know that progress has been made how ever slow it may be.

I go heavy as hell low reps at the end go light reps to failure pump all that blood into the muscle!

Strength is primary for me.

Each day I do one heavy compound lift for sets of 8, 5, or 2 depending on what week I am on in the periodization. After the heavy sets for the day I usually do several sets of ten of isolation type movements more for hypertrophy.

Every three weeks I add weight to the bar. I have to make progress with strength that's my main motivator. Gives me something to chase.

Fuck weights. Im just going to start doing tae bo! Billy blanks is shredded!

IML Gear Cream!
Billy is the man!!But now days being older,I cant afford an injury...so I stay around 85 to 90% of max weight usually then rep to failure...once a month max a body part...this yeilds good results with lighgt risk...

What do you think will break a muscle down more... 4 sets @...6 reps at 315..or, 12 reps at 250.. Or,
20(failure) reps at 225... And you wonder why the pros don't go crazy heavy, they can, but they dont... Theres nothing wrong with having heavy days/workouts from time to time, but to grow you need to fully break down the muscle, feed it, and recover... Repeat...

Last edited:
I go heavy every time, but I'm training for strength. I just recently added 15-20, 30, 50 rep sets at the end of my pyramids to flush my muscles since I typically don't get a pump with my cns heavy lifting 5 reps and below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go for intensity,and whatever else follows is an adding bonuses (pumps are always there,and strengths is always acquiring) ..My maxing/heavy days have long left the building..

I do everything on a Swiss ball so it's all about functional strength.

What do you think will break a muscle down more... 4 sets @...6 reps at 315..or, 12 reps at 250.. Or,
20(failure) reps at 225... And you wonder why the pros don't go crazy heavy, they can, but they dont... Theres nothing wrong with having heavy days/workouts from time to time, but to grow you need to fully break down the muscle, feed it, and recover... Repeat...

Well. There is going to be a differ of opinions on that matter. I am one that high reps don't work for. I get small and weak. Here is an example of a kid I used to work out with from time to time. He was used to doing high reps. Obviously, he got used to the higher reps and wasn't taxing his CNS. So, I put him through a workout I had modified to work for me. Low reps, heavier weights. Which went like this 3x5 adding 10lbs per set. Drop 10lbs 3x3 adding 10lbs per set. Drop 10lbs 1x3 adding 10lbs per set. This was a chest day no less and he was puking before we got done with the triples. Every last ounce of size I carry is due to sets lower than 6 reps for the most part. You need to do the experimenting and see what works for your body. There is no one right way.

two ways to build muscle

1. heavy reps to tear down the muslce fiber and then you let it recover and grow - longer wait before working the same muscle group again
2. lighter weight higher reps to fill the muscle w/ blood therefore shuttling more nutrients in - can work the same more muscle more frequently.

Most younger guys will go w/ option 1 as it's more of an ego lift routine. Older guys a lot of the time will opt for #2 as it's easier on the joints and less chance of injury.

I tend to mix the two. I do more #2 for frequency but mix in #1 occasionally to push the muscle and add strength.

this ^

Well. There is going to be a differ of opinions on that matter. I am one that high reps don't work for. I get small and weak. Here is an example of a kid I used to work out with from time to time. He was used to doing high reps. Obviously, he got used to the higher reps and wasn't taxing his CNS. So, I put him through a workout I had modified to work for me. Low reps, heavier weights. Which went like this 3x5 adding 10lbs per set. Drop 10lbs 3x3 adding 10lbs per set. Drop 10lbs 1x3 adding 10lbs per set. This was a chest day no less and he was puking before we got done with the triples. Every last ounce of size I carry is due to sets lower than 6 reps for the most part. You need to do the experimenting and see what works for your body. There is no one right way.

With what you did with that person, looks to me like this method was a "volume" approach...also sounds like his weight lifted never changed (he plateued) before you helped...

i guess I should have clarified more, or my example wasn't the best... Considering the same intensity/taxing the CNS to the same point....with 24 total reps(higher weight)--OR-- 60 total reps (lighter weight)...Fully breaking the fiber down is going to occur from more total work...

This is a great topic/discussion btw..:winkfinger:

Last edited:
My point was by changing his workload and forcing him to use heavier weights he was capable of, put him in a place he has never been and didn't know he could go. Variation is good(I will occasionally throw in a couple of ultra high rep sets and exercises to shock myself) and as far as a plateau...doubt it. He was fairly new to training and was doing what everyone else told him to do that didn't have the experience to help him. Granted, he was still making noob gains when he approached me( I had been watching him for a month or so as, we were in a small gym.) He was starting to look good but was pissed because his new muscle didn't equate to the strength he was looking for. To say that pros do light weights and high reps so you should too is pretty ridiculous. Genetics, the right drug protocol, food, rest, etc all comes into play...one could do everything they do the same way and never even be close to their physique...which is why we are all on here and they are all on the big stage and in magazines. Are there some bad ass built fuckers running around here...hell yeah...but what percentage has the potential to be an IFBB pro...or the next World Record Holding Super Heavy Powerlifter? Not many I would assume. There are plenty of examples of powerlifters that use different rep ranges...Like I said before, more than one way to accomplish gaining size and strength.

Get Shredded!
That post got long so Jester, I do agree that higher reps can be good but, you can't discredit lower reps and higher weights...don't get me wrong I don't advocate doing singles every workout and while using a 5,3,1 on any exercise I usually will not go into the 1s. Typically I have one or two sets of 6-8 before I get there anyway. It is also not a typical workout I use all the time. Experiment, change stuff up, and see what works for you.

liljoe.... All good brother...this is great conversation, great for differnt schools of thought to come together... I love discussions like this..I def don't discredit anything, more than one way to get to the same result, having the guts to step outside of ones comfort zone takes a lot of persuasion and trust...these are the types of threads that could lead someone to do just that... Experience doesn't lie, I usually speak based on what I've actually done and have done with others, I can tell you're the same... Good stuff either way, hi-fives all around.. :winkfinger:

Well lets take it one step further in discussion. As most of us know, you will obtain a certain level of size with strength gains and a certain amount of strength with size gains. I happen to be fairly lucky or unlucky that my size is a direct correlation with my strength. So, rather than training for strength or pump as the thread title says. I was a little misleading when I say I use low reps all the time. Frequently, I have exercises I work in the 12-15 range then go heavier for my last couple sets. With arms I usually start in the 20-25(to failure) range to get started, usually wind up around 6 then do a drop or double drop. So, lets start throwing out some workouts that will help those looking for both size and strength.

week 1 8-10 reps ....ONE BODY PART (OBP)
week 2 6-8 reps......OBP
week 3 8-10 reps....OBP
week 4 6-8 reps....OBP
WEEK 5 Split Body parts 8 reps and drop sets on every last set

week 6-9 repeat week 1-4 OBP but change every exercise up or do reverse order to confuse muscles
WEEK 10 Split Body Part 8 reps SUPERSETS/ AND DROPSETS ON EVERY LAST REP

REPEAT weeks 1-10 but always change exersises up

Back