• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

What are ya pushing up for for chest

murf23

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So many different drama threads goin on figured we switch up the topic a lil bit ....

Never really did max weight benching . My max for reps was 325 for reps . Again never really tried 1 reps maxes . today Im stay around 265 -285 lbs for slow controlled reps especially on the negative ...dumbells 125's years ago ....These days 105's tops for reps slow and controlled ... What kinda numbers are you guys throwing up ? Max ? reps ? Best ever ?

:coffee:

Max ballpark is 405 (touch&go)
Reps, 315x10
I consider my "best ever" reps to be 225 x 36. That was just a couple weeks ago, now I want 50.
I'm also am wanting to reach a goal of 135x100 just for fun... Last time I tried I was just over 80.

Hardly ever touch dumbbells for flat. Main reason is because my gym only goes to 130, and I want more... I know for flat I've pushed 120s for about 20, and inclined 130s for 10... That was awhile ago though. I'd assume I can push more now.

Last edited:
Used to push around 125's and 130's for incline for 10 to 15 depending on the night, nowadays a ruptured bicep, and shoulder surgery later the 24 hour part of my gym which I use most only goes to 85's so I rep those when I want to use db's. I wish they had heavier although I don't think I would push it as hard as I used to any more.

Wear and tear plus age changes everything bro .... Best thing about all my injuries tho is that they made me train alot smarter these days . Not recklessly throwing heavy weights around with bad form ,

Wear and tear plus age changes everything bro .... Best thing about all my injuries tho is that they made me train alot smarter these days . Not recklessly throwing heavy weights around with bad form ,
That is no doubt, i feel now that I am back in it and cycling again my gains are even higher quality just due to the strictness of form. The weight still goes up in quantity just much slower.

I changed my chest workout up a little and went to all reverse grip. I haven't maxed reverse yet but I've got 315x8. Still learning the ROM. Typical flat PR is 13 though

Max ballpark is 405 (touch&go)
Reps, 315x10
I consider my "best ever" reps to be 225 x 36. That was just a couple weeks ago, now I want 50.
I'm also am wanting to reach a goal of 135x100 just for fun... Last time I tried I was just over 80.

Hardly ever touch dumbbells for flat. Main reason is because my gym only goes to 130, and I want more... I know for flat I've pushed 120s for about 20, and inclined 130s for 10... That was awhile ago though. I'd assume I can push more now.

About the same like you bro...got 405 for 1 while on tren e last year. Now mostly doing 315 for reps...doing 2 sets of 10 reps is usual. Can get 315 on incline for 4 to 6 reps.

I would like to be doing 335 for a set of 10 reps:)

Being 59 and having a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, partial pec tear...... like most of you guys focus on strict form and higher reps. Dropped all barbell last year, only do machines, DB's, DB and machine flys for chest. Was never that strong. Best max was 325 in flat, reps 245 x 9 on incline bench. Now 100's for 10 slow reps is my max for flat, but I prefer incline.

435 x 2
385 x 5
315 x 20
225 x 30

I've only ever done pyramiding and 5x5 training. No dumbbells or flats; occasional incline. I am curious what gains I might make by adding flat presses or bands. I've made consistent good gains with what I'm doing which is why I haven't varied much in bench training. I can probably get 450, but I'll wait for that one good day in every couple months where everything comes together to try. My goal is 500 hopefully by end of summer. What is interesting is now that Tren is kicking in my 315 reps have really jumped up. My max reps only a little as I could do 425 before I started any gear.

Last night I loaded up 315 and some dude came up and asked if I was maxing and needed a spot. I laughed and said I was just warming up. He looked at me like I was some kind of idiot and stood there 'in case' I couldn't get it up. I ripped off 15 really quick and sat up and he just said holy fuck and walked away lol. I weigh about 170 if that puts it in perspective. Almost every time I bench and they see 300+ on there somebody comes over and starts beating their chest because they weigh 250 and can do it once or twice.

I do think negative reps and forced reps have helped me a lot.

About 350 when I was in high school.. Haven't lifted that heavy in a long long time.. My shoulder doesn't like flat BB bench. Now that I've been on gear I was actually thinking about going heavy like that again. The thought of repping 315 after close to 20 years started to make my dick hard. Then wisdom got the best of me and said ehh.. Ill stick to DB presses. Usually go up to about 105-110.

Usually stay pretty light as well but the last couple weeks I've been going heavier. Lifted 365 for 3 Monday then progressed back down.

About 350 when I was in high school.. Haven't lifted that heavy in a long long time.. My shoulder doesn't like flat BB bench. Now that I've been on gear I was actually thinking about going heavy like that again. The thought of repping 315 after close to 20 years started to make my dick hard. Then wisdom got the best of me and said ehh.. Ill stick to DB presses. Usually go up to about 105-110.

I'm 45 and had a 20+ year layoff from lifting before getting back in to it last year...became stronger than I was in college when my best was 405 at age 22. Torn rotator, labrum, and pec here also.

I hear you Sierra, tore rotator trying to be a powerlifter 6 years ago. 495 wasn't smart for a guy my size, plus incorrect form, incorrect warm up, incorrect mind set didn't help. Now i don't go over 315 as im not smart enough to do more than that weight.

Don't do flat bb anymore. Best was 305 for a single. Fucked my shoulders up going for weight on flat bb. Never have a spotter and was relying on catches that were at my face, couldn't set it down "in the zone". I've learned flat is not for me. Took a long time to get my shoulder healthy again.

Stick to incline DB now. My bests are 100x13 and 115x8. Full ROM controlled reps. Current gym only goes up two 100s so I'll just keep increasing reps in time.

Flat bench is a bitch.... If your form is off and you try and go heavy 100% of the time you will hurt yourself sooner or later and I hate seeing so many guys hurt themselves and steer away from this exercise. I wish more coaches and trainers would teach people now to bench properly before they get hurt and quit benching, but to be honest it's the same with squat and deads also. Once you get older 1RM is kinda pointless unless your competing in a meet, but doing heavy triples singles and 5's do help with mass building just to throw it in there every other week at the end of a set

All my benching is close grip since I had torn rotator repair and grade 2 pec tear, basically using tris. I keep my hands approximately 3-4" inside the marks on the bar.

I hit 405 for two on the flat bench back in December in week 17 of my cycle. I was 225lbs. Not bad for a 38yr old.. :coffee:

Get Shredded!
My best ever was 330 for 3 reps. I don't ever go for 1 rep maxes. Too big a chance for injury and bad form. I usually don't go past 275 for 8 to 10 reps. Also I never touch my chest with the bar. Just the way I was taught. Easier to tear a peculiar that way. I'll go down to about 4" from my chest and stop then back up. Db's I might get a little lower but not much

I love reading all the BENCHING threads and listening to guys talk about "how much can you bench", seems to be the go to question if you talk to someone about lifting. I must be an anomoly because I could NEVER bench in the amount you guys are talking about, maybe 225-240 range at the HEAVIEST, yet my chest development is my best asset.....and that was all natty, but now on 1st cycle, I'm still pushing the same on BB but DB have gone up...inclines 110 for 10 on first set (i could never do that, ever) and my chest is stupid big....like two temperpedic pillows stuck to my ribs....hysterical right now....but I'm a fucking weak ass bitch compared to all these numbers you guys push.... way to go guys.

I love reading all the BENCHING threads and listening to guys talk about "how much can you bench", seems to be the go to question if you talk to someone about lifting. I must be an anomoly because I could NEVER bench in the amount you guys are talking about, maybe 225-240 range at the HEAVIEST, yet my chest development is my best asset.....and that was all natty, but now on 1st cycle, I'm still pushing the same on BB but DB have gone up...inclines 110 for 10 on first set (i could never do that, ever) and my chest is stupid big....like two temperpedic pillows stuck to my ribs....hysterical right now....but I'm a fucking weak ass bitch compared to all these numbers you guys push.... way to go guys.

Some guys just have some gorilla chest genetics. I've seen guys with SICK pecs. And everything else just not at that level. Guys with huge legs who barely squat much weight etc.

I've always said, it's not what you lift, it's how you lift it.

I don't care if the next guy can bench more then me or what have you. Strength is different for everybody, and has a lot less to do with size as opposed to how your built. Muscle insertions, tendon length etc. there is so much thy goes into ones ability to move weight. Also CNS adaptation to a certain movement.

Some people are strong as fuck, and look like shit. And are happy with that. A old co worker of mine would incline 275 for sets of ten. He was just an ox. That's what I called him. Or a whale, depending on how shitty he'd been eating lately(all in fun) But he's never follow a diet or look like he lifted to save his life.

And then there are those lucky few, who are strong as shit, and cut as hell.

Being 59 and having a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, partial pec tear...... like most of you guys focus on strict form and higher reps. Dropped all barbell last year, only do machines, DB's, DB and machine flys for chest. Was never that strong. Best max was 325 in flat, reps 245 x 9 on incline bench. Now 100's for 10 slow reps is my max for flat, but I prefer incline.

Wow looking great for 59 ;)

^^^ has great chest development, low bench numbers and first cycle aggression kicking in...

^^^ has great chest development, low bench numbers and first cycle aggression kicking in...
Lol

I got 275 for one 4 weeks ago which was a PR at 191. That was a couple of weeks into a cruise. Was hitting 245 for singles. Then life happened, got sick, quit my job, started a business, bad sleep and food and I'm sure I'm down. Getting everything back on track the last week but I'm down a solid 5 pounds.
Today BB flat was:
135x5
185x5
225x2
245x1
210x5x3

and then the rest of it. Not super impressive but it's a general trend upwards with dips here and there.

My BB bench is a joke. Max is 275 lol.

Max dbells 120s. That's the biggest my gym has. I don't need any bigger. I just usually stay with the 100s or 110s. Incline bench is almost as strong as flat. I've inclined 110s before.

Last week I just started doing bench on the smith machine. Its awkward, but my buddy swears by it and he's a barrel chested mofo. So I'm trying it. Today when I unracked 275 I wasn't ready for it and it came straight down on me lol. Luckily I set the bumpers. I LOL'd hard. Some days 225 feels heavy. I suck at bench.

Lol. Indeed. And I just took it out on my wife. Jesus, the aggression thing is real!!!! Fuck me. I might be sleeping on my flat bench tonight.

305 for 1 a few months back. hurt my shouder shortly after, pretty sure 1rm would be over that at this point

Back