PDA

View Full Version : Testing split help

stockpott
11-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Uggh!!! I can't just go 3 days a week to the gym... Present split mon dead lift back n biceps... Wed bench chest shoulders triceps Friday squats n legs every day abs... I need 4 - 6 days with more focus on body parts...

lift till ya puke

friendofzeus
11-20-2014, 04:10 PM
asking for recommendations?

stockpott
11-20-2014, 05:14 PM
asking for recommendations?
Yes, Zeus! I sure am... I've helped numerous people get "that" look they wanted... I can't seem to do it for myself lol

lift till ya puke

friendofzeus
11-20-2014, 05:30 PM
heading to work, i'll reply when i have a chance there. you have several options though, 3 on 2 off, 4 day splits with 2 days of rest, 5 day and 6 day splits, etc.

stockpott
11-20-2014, 05:37 PM
5 day would be great

lift till ya puke

friendofzeus
11-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Super basic five day:

Day 1: legs
Day 2: back
Day 3: chest
Day 4: rest
Day 5: shoulders
Day 6: arms
Day 7: rest

I like working the larger muscle groups earlier in the week. The day of rest after chest gives your shoulders and Tris a little breather before beating on them again as well. You can skip the first day of rest if you want to slam it all together and take two days off too.

Personally I've never liked 5 day splits but prefer 4 or 6 day splits. With my favorite 6 day you get rid of the first day of rest and do lower back and posterior chain and use your leg day to concentrate on quads

IronRage
11-21-2014, 03:13 PM
I used to use a five day split like this,

M- chest
T- arms
W- legs
Th- shoulders/back
F- chest/bi's
S- rest
S- rest

I would do abs m/w/f 1-2 body weight exercises then 15 mins cardio after weight training, this split worked very well for me I was able to stay lean while adding some lbm, Friday was used to hit certain body parts twice mostly chest for me but sometimes I would throw in quads and calves as well, you could also split up back and shoulders for Thursday and Friday but I always like to train them together

FutureOlympia
12-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Ever thought about not going by a 7 day work week? Just do your 3 days and then the one rest dayand start over. Sure monday will always be a different workout than last Monday but who really cares? I did that split for a long time but eventually got to where the volume was too high. I was in the gym for 3 or 4 hrs a workout and had to split it up. So right now my split is legs, chest, back, arms and shoulders. Arms and shoulders are same day. Since I'm on gear and my recovery time is crazy fast right now I really wish I could do each body part twice a week now. But that is close to impossibe with a new baby and doing 40 - 50 hrs a week. What kind of training principles are you using? High volume, low reps heavy weight? I personally do ascending sets for most exercises.

BTC
12-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Super basic five day:

Day 1: legs
Day 2: back
Day 3: chest
Day 4: rest
Day 5: shoulders
Day 6: arms
Day 7: rest

I like working the larger muscle groups earlier in the week. The day of rest after chest gives your shoulders and Tris a little breather before beating on them again as well. You can skip the first day of rest if you want to slam it all together and take two days off too.

Personally I've never liked 5 day splits but prefer 4 or 6 day splits. With my favorite 6 day you get rid of the first day of rest and do lower back and posterior chain and use your leg day to concentrate on quads

You read my mind^^^ I used to put legs between back and chest though to break it up. Gave my rotators a break. Now that I'm powerlifting I could never do those days back to back, holy shit i'd die lol.

That split is about as perfect as you can get for a 5 day. The only thing I would add is putting some tri work on chest day and so bi work on back day so bi/tri get hit twice a week. <<<If I were BB'ing that is. Just a couple supersets...not a full on workout. Possibly like 4 sets of standing barbell OHP on chest day since you'll be doing incline and theres no time your shoulders will be warmer and more prepared for it.

If you needed an extra rest day and wanted to go 4 days then definitely do OHP on chest day as your big compound shoulder movement then on bi/tri day add in delts. Lots of side raises rear laterals, face pulls ect...

friendofzeus
12-08-2014, 12:20 AM
You read my mind^^^ I used to put legs between back and chest though to break it up. Gave my rotators a break. Now that I'm powerlifting I could never do those days back to back, holy shit i'd die lol.

That split is about as perfect as you can get for a 5 day. The only thing I would add is putting some tri work on chest day and so bi work on back day so bi/tri get hit twice a week. <<<If I were BB'ing that is. Just a couple supersets...not a full on workout. Possibly like 4 sets of standing barbell OHP on chest day since you'll be doing incline and theres no time your shoulders will be warmer and more prepared for it.

If you needed an extra rest day and wanted to go 4 days then definitely do OHP on chest day as your big compound shoulder movement then on bi/tri day add in delts. Lots of side raises rear laterals, face pulls ect...

i personally always add a few sets of high rep (20-30 reps) of bis on back day and tri's on chest day so i get that extra boost for my arms. i don't recommend it right off the bat to anyone since i don't know how stubborn their arms are or aren't.

TouaregV8
12-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Here's my current split.

Day 1: Triceps/Biceps/Hamstrings
Day 2: Shoulders/Calves
Day 3: Quads
Day 4: Chest
Day 5: Back

Mondays and Friday are rest days.