• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

New to Deadlifts

SoCalJC

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I've always avoided DL for a couple of reasons. Afraid of screwing up my back.....didn't quite know how to do them correctly......and I read somewhere that Phil Heath didn't DL, so why should I? lol

Anyway recently I've been trying to incorporate new lifts into my routine. I was doing back this week and a buddy of mine was doing deads. I talked to him for a min, asked him for some pointers, and he gladly coached me for a couple of sets. Really helped because I've never done them before. So I did 4 sets with good form with light weight (135).

Today was back day again. Did DL but went a bit heavier, 235. Nothing super heavy as I'm still learning technique and form. I think I did a total of 6 sets including warmup set. 135 x 4, 185 x 1, 235 x 1. After that I was toast. Tried to do bent over rows and 135 felt heavier than normal. Pretty much deads took so much outta me that I was spent, couldn't do much after that.

My question is this: Do you guys do DL on back day or leg day?

I do it on back day. Usually i do dead lifts, then alternate between pulls and rows.
I train more like a powerlifter than a bodybuilder though.

All my work outs start with a heavy compound, then accessory excersizes

Like for back i would do
Deads
Pulldown/pull ups
T bar row
Lat flys
Cable row
Chins
Wide cable row

Working to 5x5 on deads
And 3-4x10 on everything else

Thanks Joe.

That looks like a great workout.

Today I started with lat pulldowns. I always like to stretch and warm up my lats so this exercise is usually the first one. Then I did DL. I also went up to 10 reps. Maybe I should have cut it down. IDK, still learning.

Depends. Right now I have a day that is just 225x20 squats, then when I can breathe again same weight deads 20x225. I consider that to be a "posterior chain" day, then there is a machine leg day and a back day that mostly comcentrates on upper back, lats and traps Otherwise I do them on back day, but when I'm doing a 5x5 I alternate squats and deads week to week. Because the lower back requires more recovery time.

I always liked lower reps on deadlifts. It takes a lot of energy so I am afraid that if i push the reps, even with a lighter weight, my form will fail. Besides, nothing to me is better than picking up heavy deads

I always liked lower reps on deadlifts. It takes a lot of energy so I am afraid that if i push the reps, even with a lighter weight, my form will fail. Besides, nothing to me is better than picking up heavy deads

I gotta admit, picking up 235 felt really damn good. I can't wait to go up even more. There's something primal about picking up heavy shit.

I am hooked my man. Eventually look into using chaulk. Straps are ok, for your heavy sets. But chaulk and mixed grip are what you should aim for

It is a challenge, and the form begins to falter towards the end, which is why I stop at that point. There is a lot of negative self talk around rep 13/14 where I start telling myself that's enough, then by the time I've answered myself I'm at 17. Weird noises start coming out of me at that point and people are looking, but no one says anything to a guy that just repped out 20 deadlifts. When I'm no longer trying to talk myself out of finishing the set I bump the weight 10 pounds the next week.

i actually split my leg day into two days, one i predominantly work quads and calves, on the other, i work the lower posterior chain, lower back, hams, glutes, calves. i don't do deads on back day because i always fry my lower back so much that i can't do bent over rows or t-bar rows or anything afterwords because my back is so dead and i feel that that negatively affects my upper back workouts. i also pretty much never do full DL's, i almost always do SLDL's other than the first rep of each set to get it off the ground.

No one talks to anyone doing deadlifts. Besides other guys who deadlift at my gym
1a8a64ac350302570491cdba4948e8bb.jpg

IML Gear Cream!
I gotta admit, picking up 235 felt really damn good. I can't wait to go up even more. There's something primal about picking up heavy shit.
When you get to where you are really at your butter zone and your form is letting you really work, 5 deadlifts melt the world away.

My day is like KC deads first.. I'll do
Conventional deads
Sumo deads
Good mornings
Back hyper extension (weighted)
Bent over barbell row
T bar row
Bent over dumbell pulls (lawnmower)
I used to do lots of wide grip pull ups but no more with the umbilical hernia

You can do DL's on squat day and or DL day. Depends on a number of things and to be honest bpoth work and you'll need to experiment and see what works best for you. Why is the first question you should answer. Why are you doing DL's? Is it to get better at DL's or to supplement your BBing? To me this distinction is very important.

For example I'm a PL'er so I have a DL day, a Squat day and a Bench day. For me the DL is the main movement and any back work I do is done as a supplement to help my DL, Squat and bench.

Ouch. That's exactly why I use chalk on almost all sets. I find the chalk actually helps limit the callous build up. I know you left yours at home and that blows. I keep mine in my gym bag all the time along with other essentials like my ear buds for music. lol

You can do DL's on squat day and or DL day. Depends on a number of things and to be honest bpoth work and you'll need to experiment and see what works best for you. Why is the first question you should answer. Why are you doing DL's? Is it to get better at DL's or to supplement your BBing? To me this distinction is very important.

For example I'm a PL'er so I have a DL day, a Squat day and a Bench day. For me the DL is the main movement and any back work I do is done as a supplement to help my DL, Squat and bench.

Why? Great question DM. I really don't have a good answer other than I feel like my physique won't change unless I revamp my workout routine (its stale) or incorporate new lifts. My upper back has made great improvements over the last year. But my lower back is lagging.

Get Shredded!
Idk if this is my own bro science... But deads give me that lower back Christmas tree look

Lower back development is why I went to the lighter weight, higher rep, squat+dead day. My deadlift got to 400 pretty fast, but it stuck and if I failed I ALWAYS failed in the first 6". Either it came off the floor and I locked it or it just laughed at me. It's a tricky area to train with other body parts because once your hams, lower back, and glutes are fried you are going to have trouble doing much of anything. I'm looking forward to getting back to pushing my next PR once this brach/elbow thing clears up.

My template looks something like this:
Monday: Second Bench Day (I know its weird, but it works better for me this way) with an emphasis on shoulder development
Tuesday: Light Squat (usually front squat), abs, pull accessory
Wednesday: Upper back (I train this like a body builder)

Friday: Heavy bench day, chest development emphasis
Saturday: Heavy Squat, Heavy Deadlift

I do deads on back day as well. And don't do many reps either. I always start back day with them. Something like
225x5
315x5
405x1-5 depending
455x1
495x1
Usually stop there, sometimes do one more heavier. Then move on to my accessories at higher reps, 10-12.

Why? Great question DM. I really don't have a good answer other than I feel like my physique won't change unless I revamp my workout routine (its stale) or incorporate new lifts. My upper back has made great improvements over the last year. But my lower back is lagging.

I think the big compound moves are great for overall mass and strength gains. Adding them to a BB'ing workout can round things out real well. No one questions the usefulness of squats for BB'ing. IMHO the same reasoning should be used for DL's. Based on that thought I can easily argue "against" doing barbell bench for bodybuilding.

I think the big compound moves are great for overall mass and strength gains. Adding them to a BB'ing workout can round things out real well. No one questions the usefulness of squats for BB'ing. IMHO the same reasoning should be used for DL's. Based on that thought I can easily argue "against" doing barbell bench for bodybuilding.

This. Oddly enough all my chest work is dumbells or dips.

Rap I have heard varying information on this.. It seems. It's for people with back issues and mostly mass gaining compared to strengthen training

This. Oddly enough all my chest work is dumbells or dips.

True. The barbell bench doesn't recruit the pecs as much as people think. BB bench is mostly lats, triceps, and delts with a small pec involvement. DB's are much better for pec development overall.

http://shop.slayerbarbell.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=276

Hex bar deads are my favorite movement. Best gym equipment purchase ive made.
Makes high rep deads a lot safer.
My work outs are all based around deadlifting 3x a week.

- - - Updated - - -

http://shop.slayerbarbell.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=276

Hex bar deads are my favorite movement. Best gym equipment purchase ive made.
Makes high rep deads a lot safer.
My work outs are all based around deadlifting 3x a week.

Back