• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Pec/delt proportion problem

JRotten

Old
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have a real problem with my delts growing. It's getting to where my delts are drowning out my pecs which have always lagged. I need ideas for seriously isolating pecs from delts. Either form help or movements. Don't get me wrong delts are great, but I need better proportion.

Low weight high reps. Most of the time when your doing heavy weight your using your shoulders too much.
I was thinking getting away from incline and flat and focusing more on decline movements as well for a bit. Does that seem mechanically sound? Seems as though it would take the anterior delt out of the movement some. Decline press, low cable flyes... I read a study some where that showed decline presses for instance activate the pec minor just as much as incline presses, so if that's true the pec would still be getting work, but maybe take some load from the delt?

I have a real problem with my delts growing. It's getting to where my delts are drowning out my pecs which have always lagged. I need ideas for seriously isolating pecs from delts. Either form help or movements. Don't get me wrong delts are great, but I need better proportion.

Subbed.
I'll be interested in the responses to this. I have a similar problem. I'm pleased with the way that my delts are developing, but my chest is disappointing.

Me and rap focus heavily on the decline press (dumbbell in particular) and it's worked wonders for me. Him too if he's still doing it :)

Also, could you just have bad form and don't realize it? Just asking, maybe a video or picture while benching would make it easy to fix a problem, if there is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and rap focus heavily on the decline press (dumbbell in particular) and it's worked wonders for me. Him too if he's still doing it :)

Also, could you just have bad form and don't realize it? Just asking, maybe a video or picture while benching would make it easy to fix a problem, if there is one.

Bad form is definitely a possibility, but everyone I know has a completely different form... I'm too wide, I'm too narrow, IDFK lol. I have no video and I always work out alone so I may have to find some help with that.

I have always had overpowering delts and tris and have been working for a few years trying to feel my chest more. I used to never feel like i even hit chest on those days. I would go until failure, do drop sets, negatives, anything I could think of really to increase the intensity. It never helped. It didn't help because My mind body connections are stronger in my delts and tris than my chest. I read a lot, tested some theories and found that pre exausting chest with a fly type movement or pec dec using really high reps was the answer for me. Another big thing is always focusing on sqeeezing the chest at the top of every movement. If i get to where the weight is to much to be able to focus on my chest contraction and only lifting the weight, my triceps and shoulders take all the work again. another thing is range of motion. Full range of motion is not always good. locking elbows takes away from time under tension, which is key to muscle stimulation.

check out this article, and maybe try some different tempo's on a few different chest exercises.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/chest-obliteration-mountain-dog-style

also check out this video, Train with Kai. Its an older video, but it has a lot of great information in it and Kai does a great job of explaining correct form. Kai Greene is my second favorite bodybuilder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nXSIqyw1lc

Other than seeing you in action to give you live feedback this is the best i can do for you. The rest is up to you.

Bad form is definitely a possibility, but everyone I know has a completely different form... I'm too wide, I'm too narrow, IDFK lol. I have no video and I always work out alone so I may have to find some help with that.

HMW is right... technique is real important with pecs. But ive had more luck with making decline movements like DB decline preses and heavy dips my go to. Another suggestion is a burnout after chest day with ring push-ups. Srs the pec activation from them is very noticeable.

Subbed. My delts pop, especially when I run NPP. My delts also overpower my pecs. I do a lot on incline work, so maybe that's it. IDK.

I do NO decline bench or flys at all. Maybe I need to incorporate that into my routine.

I've got a lot of ideas from all this. I feel like things got more noticeable when I went to a a GVT to lead off on flat. To cheat those last reps I can see myself pulling my shoulders to get to lockout. It also affected my decline DB because I was burnt bu then. I have a goal on bench over the next few months so I think I'll warm into a few heavy sets of flat, but just to get the nerves firing and keep the feel of heavier weight in my hands, but I'm gonna play with partials on the volume end and give decline more game time instead of coming towards the end. I imagine I'm gonna be figuring some machines out in here too.

Have you considered a push/pull four day situation?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Right now it's a weird mutant thing that happened over the last few months and since coming back has been going weirder. I was thinking of:

a high rep push day
upper back (lats/traps/rhomboids/rear delts)
squat and deadlift just 1x20 each back to back (really feel posterior chain, good erector and low back feel)
low rep heavy weight push day
machine leg day (lots of leg press volume, fry calves, etc but no back involvement)

It basically hits everything in different ways twice a week. It seems odd but it feels good right now, but I have no good layout for it yet. Just an experiment I've been considering for this blast

No I totally understand. I have used a push/pull for along time. Let me type up something I use.... alot of symmetry. But it lacks alot of direct arm work. Mostly compound movements

No I totally understand. I have used a push/pull for along time. Let me type up something I use.... alot of symmetry. But it lacks alot of direct arm work. Mostly compound movements
I do very little direct arms. I warm up pull days with preacher machine curls to get blood in, seems to help my elbows a lot, then very slow tempo/static holds on the way out and then on push days superset cable push downs with cable overhead extensions. Occasional dropsets on the arm stuff on the way out the door.

Get Shredded!
since decline has already been mentioned; flys, high and low and keep your scapula retracted during pressing movements. the minute you start letting your shoulders round forward drop weight and throw in a few more reps with proper form

How many days a week do you guys work out your chest? I've been doing it once a week, but I'm wondering if I need to add in a second day.

How many days a week do you guys work out your chest? I've been doing it once a week, but I'm wondering if I need to add in a second day.

It depends how many working sets you're doing a session and how many sets you're taking to failure.

I try for twice a week. If i do that, then 1 day is a heavy day, the other is a light day with supersets and "light weight babay"

- - - Updated - - -

since decline has already been mentioned; flys, high and low and keep your scapula retracted during pressing movements. the minute you start letting your shoulders round forward drop weight and throw in a few more reps with proper form

Are ya talking about db flys or cable flys?

I try for twice a week. If i do that, then 1 day is a heavy day, the other is a light day with supersets and "light weight babay"

- - - Updated - - -

Are ya talking about db flys or cable flys?

I prefer cable fly's for the adjustable height to do high and low flys as well as the constant tension. It makes a huge difference if you try to squeeze them together with your upper arms instead of trying to push them together being the movement from your shoulders

I prefer cable fly's for the adjustable height to do high and low flys as well as the constant tension. It makes a huge difference if you try to squeeze them together with your upper arms instead of trying to push them together being the movement from your shoulders

Ok, just wanted to clarify. This was the workout I ended with yesterday. High cable flys, with a 2 second hold and squeeze at the bottom. Felt a serious pump and burn in my pecs. Its hard for me to get the mind-muscle connection on any other exercise for chest. This one always seems to do it for me. Felt amazing.

Dominant delts especially front delts is very common . It most likely has to do with your form and possibly genetics , the way you lift the weight . Hard to help over the internet , really need to be there . The best way I can explain it is you have to learn to lift the weight by contracting the pecs not pushing with the delts /triceps . Too much weight contributes to this a lot . You are using so much you are totally focused on lifting the weight as opposed to HOW . When pressing or on any fly movement squeeze your shoulder blades together and push your chest out . Bring your chin to your chest . On fly's make sure to keep the elbows high . If you watch most guys do fly's they push with their delts instead of the hugging the tree motion it should be . I really like pre - exhausting the pecs , I did it last night . Use a pec deck or vertical fly machine . 8-10 reps and really squeeze and get the blood pushed in there then go on to the pressing movements . I love FST - 7 training with chest . Finish with 7 sets of pec deck or fly machine 8 - reps with 30 sec between sets . If you do it right your pecs will be screaming ! You know it frequently takes years to properly learn the form of exercises that fit your particular body mechanics . I've been doing most of these exercises for 30 years but I still learn new things about them . A little different angle or adjustment that opens up a whole new aspect . I love that about working out . You are always learning .

Dominant delts especially front delts is very common . It most likely has to do with your form and possibly genetics , the way you lift the weight . Hard to help over the internet , really need to be there . The best way I can explain it is you have to learn to lift the weight by contracting the pecs not pushing with the delts /triceps . Too much weight contributes to this a lot . You are using so much you are totally focused on lifting the weight as opposed to HOW . When pressing or on any fly movement squeeze your shoulder blades together and push your chest out . Bring your chin to your chest . On fly's make sure to keep the elbows high . If you watch most guys do fly's they push with their delts instead of the hugging the tree motion it should be . I really like pre - exhausting the pecs , I did it last night . Use a pec deck or vertical fly machine . 8-10 reps and really squeeze and get the blood pushed in there then go on to the pressing movements . I love FST - 7 training with chest . Finish with 7 sets of pec deck or fly machine 8 - reps with 30 sec between sets . If you do it right your pecs will be screaming ! You know it frequently takes years to properly learn the form of exercises that fit your particular body mechanics . I've been doing most of these exercises for 30 years but I still learn new things about them . A little different angle or adjustment that opens up a whole new aspect . I love that about working out . You are always learning .

That's exactly what I've been doing all summer but with cables since my old gym didn't have a pec dec. Great results

The thread is never over until Lou speaks up! Lots of good stuff to play with this weekend. I'm only a week And a half into this blast and it's ridiculous how fast I'm recovering already. AY FTW!

Took the advice from you guys to the gym today and had a totally different outcome. Found the seated cable fly machine at the new gym today and led with palms up low flyes. Never led with that and I feel it so much more first! Followed with 6 sets of ten 3/4 rep barbell flat, on to decline DB press. It was all pecs today just focusing on the squeeze. Supersetted cable overhead extension with cable push down with a good pec squeeze them a drop set on the seated cable fly again. i have some experimenting with reps and weights and layout but these things will find there way into one of two chest days for the next 8-10 weeks.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Last edited:
Back