• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

interesting topic

steve0311

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I found this on marksdailyapple.com. it's a paleo website that I treat like the bible.

Paleolithic hunter-gatherers couldn’t hop on down to the grocery store for food. They had to expend energy to obtain energy – they had to “exercise” – and they often did it*without*fully-stocked muscle glycogen stores. This is familiar territory for any regular reader of this blog, but rather than focus on how this discrepancy might explain modern conditions*like*obesity*and*diabetes, I’m more interested in how it*affected our adaptation to physical training. When you train, or hunt, or forage in a glycogen depleted state, you*augment the normal adaptations to exercise. You*get better at burning fat for energy and conserving muscle glycogen during physical activity.

So what do you think?

I did a version of this diet for many years whenever I wanted to get lean. It works, but is boring and not a lifestyle type diet. I have since found that a diet high in lean protein, low glycemic carbs i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, yams, etc, combined with some vegies and fruits is a better alternative. Simply adjust calories and carb timing if bulking or trying to get lean.

Paleo is good on paper and I feel generally speaking is a healthier way to eat than the average person eats. Having said that however the problem with it, like most restrictive diets, is that the food sources are not varied enough to give the body the vast array of nutrients it needs from food alone, therefor the paleo diet, like most, will require some extensive supplementation for it to really shine.

Just a couple examples of what I mean, the paleo diet generally frowns on fruits and many veggies such as potatoes. Most people dont get nearly enough potassium a day and both bananas and potatoes contain large amounts of potassium. Heart disease is the nations leading killer and the cause has been known for years, and its not cholesterol and sodium, its lack of ascorbate. One more nutrient highly lacking in the paleo diet.

potatoes, avocados and green leafy veggies are also very high in potassium...

paleo can definitely be done and get a full range of nutrients and it can definitely be incredibly interesting (im actually making a ginger, pork, coconut milk paleo crockpot recipe today)

but it takes creativity, time and a fair amount of money...

I think just about any diet can be made healthy but its gets more complicated than it needs to be...I don't think carbs are the devil anymore either
when they were well placed in my day they kept me from getting an afternoon crash and I had endless energy whcih always translated to more general activity and great workouts...

I like precision nutrition a lot because it explores all of these diets without prejudice

I did a version of this diet for many years whenever I wanted to get lean. It works, but is boring and not a lifestyle type diet. I have since found that a diet high in lean protein, low glycemic carbs i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, yams, etc, combined with some vegies and fruits is a better alternative. Simply adjust calories and carb timing if bulking or trying to get lean.
We are a world of fads . Every so often a new diet that is supposed to solve all our health problems comes along and has it's day and then fades away as we learn it wasn't all it's cracked up to be . Moderation is the key and a well balanced diet as above makes the most sense .

^^^^^^ What Lou said.

And I didn't know that Mark was so old that he has first hand knowledge of the "hunter-gatherer."

potatoes, avocados and green leafy veggies are also very high in potassium...

potatoes yes but if im not mistaken are not on the list of paleo foods.

its not..but an avocado is and has higher potassium than a potato

and by no means am I saying go paleo to anyone..just saying almost any diet can reach full and interesting nutrition but it needs to be well thought out
most people dont have the time or inclination, or creativity

What's the deal wtih "low glycemic carbs i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, yams, etc" why are they ok?

What's the deal wtih "low glycemic carbs i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, yams, etc" why are they ok?
Low glycemic carbs don't mess up with blood sugar, which is why they are preferred

IML Gear Cream!
they're more like a slow bleed of sugar due to how they're digested versus a sudden dump of sugar

Back