• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Why Is It So Hard For Modern Man To Commit To Fitness?

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
It seems anymore that in today's world and way of life that modern men seem to lack the commitment or drive to stay health and fit.
I've taken noticed of young girls,teens,adults and even full time single mothers possessing an unwavering drive,dedication and commitment when it pertains to living a healthy lifestyle.. Take a gander around your gym and look at the ratio, now Im not talking about just attractive women, Im generally speaking about females period.. Ive noticed over the past 10-15 years women are involved with some sort of healthy activity, whether its walking,jogging,wogging, running with a baby stroller,biking,yoga,kick boxing the list goes on and on..
Yet,I notice more men looking over weight, looking 10-15 years older then their actual age, sitting at bars, and engaging in events that particularly have no fitness benefits?!

Now I know that advertisements,clothing,food and movies stars and such plays a huge factor on what women are told or think they should look like,giving women this false impression,effecting their self esteem and such, but still, the end result is they are more committed to achieve this compared to men!

Ive had great conversations with women of all sorts in regards to this, 95% told me that even if they lived on a deserted island that they would still be committed to fitness of some sorts, and live a healthy lifestyle if they could..

For myself, I'm a happily married family man that's proud of what I've achieved in life and my surroundings, now please dont take this as being vain, but I enjoy getting compliments from people (and women:) ), because its people like us that stand out,we are the minority.. Take notice when you walk into a store and people do double take at you, women smile and dudes give you a mean mug look ( keep hating buddy )..Its not my fault that you belly sticks out more than your dicky does..but yet some of these guys have a fit looking woman?!?!

My rant is, why? What has happened to the modern man? Look at pics of the old timers in their prime, and compared them to now, and do the same for women.. Men seemed more fit back when, and women were thicker, and now it seems to have reversed over time.

I just don't get it!

I think honestly it comes down to time. A lot of my buddies work labor intensive jobs 60+ hours a week. So I think once they are done they just don't want to do anything. If they would realize a 40 minute workout 3 days a week and a good diet would go a LONG way then maybe they would try. But there is also a lot of laziness as well

I see what your saying about time, but that is just an excuse.. How about the mother that cooks,cleans, puts the kids on the bus, runs around paying bills,food shopping, maybe a part-time job,juggles kids, and yet finds time in her busy,hectic life for just some "her time" on a treadmill or a gym? yet she doesn't complain, and the man sits around when he's off.. Im making up a scenario now or a instance, but you get my point. Its more common

No instant gratification. Drink 8 beers and every woman wants me. Eat right 2 days and workout once and nothing changed...

I think a lot of men are delusional. Most seem to think they are the best looking, strongest, most ass kicking things on the planet. Regardless of what kind of shape their in. The rest seem to be good at making excuses.

No instant gratification. Drink 8 beers and every woman wants me. Eat right 2 days and workout once and nothing changed...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

- - - Updated - - -

I think a lot of men are delusional. Most seem to think they are the best looking, strongest, most ass kicking things on the planet. Regardless of what kind of shape their in. The rest seem to be good at making excuses.
most just slap a tap out sticker on their truck and instantly they dont need to do anything because their now tough.

I swear I work with a probably 500 lb (promise he's 450+) who really thinks he is the baddest SOB around. Just borrowed from his 401k to buy a $4000 recliner that will lift his ass out of it (medical hardship). "Most recliners set too low for big guys". Has a 16 yr old that is almost 300# and sleeps with the oxygen mask. Any bets on how his kids turn out?

I agree with vision. Its laziness. Perfect example. My sister had her thyroid removed, had a hole in her heart repaired and gave birth to her child within the last 2 years and meanwhile working and cooking cleaning, taking classes and maintained close to comp ready. Its all about will power. If theres a will theres a way.

This year I have been to Disney and a few big water parks. So out of all these thousands of people I've seen there have only been a handful that was in shape. When I compare myself to the guys here and a few at the gym I feel small. Its kind of nice going to the water park with the wife and me being the most ripped dude there. Girls check me out, the wife gets jelly, and puts out.
To go along with vision there are always some fit looking women and they are usually with a fat guy or skinny fat.
There are also way too many 300+lb women who wear the tiniest bikinis.

Boys are being made into pussy men. Schools and culture teach boys to be sensitive, that violence is never ok even in self defense, that the only thing that matters is your mind and muscles are for dumb meat heads. I don't know why this lie is being told, but my neighbors who do exercise only run and ride bikes. I tell them to come lift weights with me and leave the tight riding shorts at home, and they say their wives don't like big and bulky, yet love Channing Tatum, and Mark Wahlberg. Society thinks they can change thousands of years of instinct, but deep down men still want to be strong and women still want to bang the built guy. Men need to wake up to the fact that the powers that be want them weak for some reason, and it can't be good. Women say they want sensitive, right before they hook up with the built guy they just met, leaving your skinny ass in friend zone. Ignore the lie being sold, go with your gut that wants you to be a man's man. End of parnoid, scattered brain rant.

Boys are being made into pussy men. Schools and culture teach boys to be sensitive, that violence is never ok even in self defense, that the only thing that matters is your mind and muscles are for dumb meat heads. I don't know why this lie is being told, but my neighbors who do exercise only run and ride bikes. I tell them to come lift weights with me and leave the tight riding shorts at home, and they say their wives don't like big and bulky, yet love Channing Tatum, and Mark Wahlberg. Society thinks they can change thousands of years of instinct, but deep down men still want to be strong and women still want to bang the built guy. Men need to wake up to the fact that the powers that be want them weak for some reason, and it can't be good. Women say they want sensitive, right before they hook up with the built guy they just met, leaving your skinny ass in friend zone. Ignore the lie being sold, go with your gut that wants you to be a man's man. End of parnoid, scattered brain rant.
I couldn't agree more man.. Rep'd

I work construction. The only thing that most construction workers do after a long day dealing with a-holes from other trades, inspectors, general contractors, and blundering rookies is find something easy to eat and drink alcohol. I try and constantly fail at convincing anyone else to join me at the gym. If I had not been diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008, I may not have changed my lifestyle.

I work construction. The only thing that most construction workers do after a long day dealing with a-holes from other trades, inspectors, general contractors, and blundering rookies is find something easy to eat and drink alcohol. I try and constantly fail at convincing anyone else to join me at the gym. If I had not been diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008, I may not have changed my lifestyle.

I know all about the construction trade man, I own a biz! :winkfinger:

Inspectors can make life hell,and really chum up the work schedule for the next few days..However I always find time..

They're definitely lazy, I work 50+ hours a week, have a wife and kid, and I'm a truck driver who stays away from home 1-2 nights a week and I still get to the gym 5-6 days a week, alcohol seems to be a big factor, it's the only thing keeping some guys going everyday, I know plenty of guys who get out of work go home and go straight for the fridge to get a beer and they drink a bunch every weekend as well

I kind of like more lazy men..... Just mean more women for men like me that pick heavy thing up and put them down.

I think there are two factors:

1. People do really think they are hot shit these days. Look at the fat chicks "owning it" and the tubby dumbass with the tight shirt on, with his tits (not pecs cause they're just fat) pushed out. They all think they're bad. Because of the entitlement era, everyone thinks its ok to be fat and they run with it.

2. I walk in the doc's office last night with my boy cause im worried he might have a perforated abdomen from a handlebar to the stomach. His abdomen is swollen on the spot and looks pretty bad. He cant walk cause of the pain. Then a guy beings his kid in, 14 yo, probly 240 lbs. who hurt his elbow at football. Keep in mind hes moving it fine, not obviously in pain, and its not immobilized at all. His legs are chubby and ankles are swollen from the high blood sugar trying to become diabetes. Well, no shit you hurt your elbow. With all that weight all it would take is a small fall. And instead of telling the kid to walk it off, they bring him to the doc. NO PAIN. No one wants to do anything hard, put effort in. Theyre all too lazy, and because we can't shame them any ore because it wouldnt be PC, theres no reason for them to change.

How come they stare at me??? Why are the fat people flipping their nose at me?

I don't mind big and carrying a little body fat. You know they are putting in the work. It is the guy at the store buying 4 2 liter bottles of Mtn Dew, 5 bags of chips and 2 cartons of cigs. Then he sits on his deck sucking down all three.

Get Shredded!
So when a guy starts work at 7am and completes work 4pm than has appointments until 7pm what do you recommend for gym time?
Especially when you have family and its been a long day.

I can understand that for sure. Lot of nights where I am not in the gym til 8...then my pre keeps me up til 1 or 2 then back up at 6. Which is almost suicide for any gains. This is why I try to keep it to 4 days in the gym. That way on my off days I can hang out with the family and try to catch up on sleep.

One small solution: If the GOV stops handing out food stamps to everyone who works the system, they will lose some weight, learn how to cook, cut medical expenses and help the nations debt in one fell swoop.

Oh yeah, then we can get back some of the front row parking dedicated to the "handicapped tubOlards"

I see the decline as generational.

We went from the greatest generation which had drive, commitment, patriotism and sacrifice to win two world wars and made this country great, to the baby boomer generation and to what we have today, millennials. It has been a steady downward trend and I fear it is not going to get better.

Perfect example is some time back my wife and I were walking through a mall and there was a line with 300 younger guys waiting for the new XBox release. A bunch of fat slobs with no life that never have been and probably never will get laid. Todays reality for these guys is fantasy. Kids now have to wear helmets when riding bikes, taught not to take chances, don't keep score in a game to let them know if they won or lost, correct their grades with green instead of red markers because red is detrimental to their psyche.

Competition and excellence is not pushed upon young men anymore, too hard on them.

The new man today is a pathetic comparison to just 40 years ago. And as far as what I see in the gym? We have a higher percentage of young women in my gym are far more dedicated and knowledgeable about working out than their male counterparts. These guys see it and they are without shame, a bunch of pussys.

Sad, sad state of affairs.

So when a guy starts work at 7am and completes work 4pm than has appointments until 7pm what do you recommend for gym time?
well having been in that situation, most of the la fitness's or big chain gym stay open to 10-11pm some around my way till midnight. worst case scenario they have these 24 hour gyms now, when i was going thru hard times working 2 jobs during the week and bouncing weekends i went and got a $30 membership to snap fitness a 24 hour gym, it was actually not bad atleast the one i went to. other option get up early and get an hour in before work, it can be done if you want to do it.
but back to Visions initial question i think its primarily laziness, with most guys but i have seen several friends who literally arent allowed to do it per their wife, and i didnt beleive this until i listened to their phone convo when they would say they are going with me to workout and i heard their wives start screaming get your ass home, pretty sad.

I get up at 3:40am during the week to hit the gym, Tuesday through Friday. That's enough time to workout, get home and eat something and take a nap before getting up at 6am to be at work by 7am. If you have appointments every day until 7pm that you can't spend time with your family then you are doing something wrong.

I think a lot of guys are depressed and don't realize it. They just blame the way they are feeling on some bullshit reason and then turn around and try to reason with themselves why they are out of shape or fat.

Sent from The 36 Chambers of the Wu Tang Clan

I tried doing the 4am workout and I honestly felt I wasnt getting the pump I would get if I were to go in evenings.
Especially if your working out at 4am you SHOULD be in bed by 8. If your not than your rest periods arent helping w your growth.
Im going to try going later at night (10pm).
This time of the year is my busy time for my businesses...

^ I have the same issue

Sent from The 36 Chambers of the Wu Tang Clan

Great topic...........My girl and I see this every weekend at our lakehouse.........There we are pulled up on the beach, and they come......35 year old guys with huge guts and looking more like women than men........And they stare at us like we're weird...Fuck them, lazy bastards............We shop at the same grocery stores....but we don't loadup on chips , beer, ice cream an so on........I think it boils down to commitment , self respect and sacrifice..........I was a single parent for years and had to make time....wasn't f-ing easy at all....BTW the new terms for fat chicks is normal and curvy....

Back