PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil

johnjohn
10-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Was wondering what everyones take is on fish oil I've been getting a lot of inflammation in my rotary cups after working out so I've added fish oil to the program from what I've read I should have been taking it a long time ago any pros and con's on this

Vision
10-11-2014, 05:10 PM
It does NOTHING.. I bought into it back around 2005, ive used it and it done nothing for me..I wasted my money

Guillotine
10-11-2014, 05:26 PM
I use it for the heart benefits. For OTC joint issues, in use glucosamine/chondroitin/msm

jj1969
10-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Fish Oil has many benefits. If you think it doesnt than your an idiot.

theCaptn'
10-11-2014, 10:57 PM
It's like taking vitamins or creatine. You never notice the difference in taking it, but there's enough studies to indicate it's a good idea.

^^^ creatine non-responder lol

johnjohn
10-12-2014, 12:30 PM
From what I read it has a lot of benefits hoping it would help with inflammation but I think its time to break down and go ahead and get the lube shots in the shoulders not as young as I use to be

Vision
10-12-2014, 12:45 PM
It's like taking vitamins or creatine. You never notice the difference in taking it, but there's enough studies to indicate it's a good idea.

^^^ creatine non-responder lol
you worded that perfectly that was my notion. .there is overwhelming amount of literature suggesting its benefits, I didn't notice anything but fishy burps

jj1969
10-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Fish oil isnt going to all of a sudden fix inflammation. It will help w joints and many use it as an everyday supp. Especially when your getting older the benefits are well worth it.

Big Ronnie
10-12-2014, 12:58 PM
I have been taking fish oil for years for joints. I never noticed it making any big changes until I stopped taking it for a knee surgery. When I got back on it the joint pain in my shoulders, hip and back subsided again.
Do not take MSM until your 40's unless you have specific sulfur deficiency in your joints.
Glucosamine is great for joints, but the delivery system is a large dose of sugar so be mindful of the sudden insulin spike.
Rotator Cuff injuries are extremely common. There are a ton of videos and definite plans of treatment by competent physical therapists to rehab the rotator cuff. The current protocol for strains is no longer a bag of ice to cool down a point of injury. Get some small dixie cups and freeze some water in them. After a workout take one of the dixie cups and tear most of the cup away leaving only the bottom and enough to grab hold of. Use this solid ice to dig into the sore tissues for 2-4 minutes to rapidly cool the tissues. It will feel quite cold. The body will respond by rushing blood to the area to warm it back up which will also bring oxygen to help heal the area.
I hope some of this helps.

johnjohn
10-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks I will give that a try and I think I'm jus going to continue to take it and hope the hell it helps

jj1969
10-12-2014, 01:39 PM
I was told by my PT to not do surgery on a rotator cuff issue I was having. Within 3 weeks she had my cuff feeling great. This was 15yrs ago and till this day I havent had 1 issue (knock on wood).
Important to stretch before working out.
Bench Pressing can really F up your cuff if you dont know what your doing.

cpb31
10-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Fish oil is great for raising your HDL cholesterol. Before taking fish oil, my HDL would run in the low 30s. After taking 1200mg twice a day, my HDL runs in the high 50s to low 60s.

exerciseordie
10-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm going to go against my brother vision here. Ignoring what ever someone else has said. I get pretty bad inflammation in my knee from surgery. Heavy leg days tear my knee up just from the pressure and strain. 4-6 grams of fish oils helps keep my inflammation down a decent amount. Just my .02 but I take it for health benefits anyways

Vision
10-13-2014, 04:20 PM
all this feedback, I would love to have had some effects from it, I simply felt nothing.. I guess I was a non-responded??

Guillotine
10-13-2014, 05:16 PM
all this feedback, I would love to have had some effects from it, I simply felt nothing.. I guess I was a non-responded??
I don't feel anything on it either... But i feel the effects when i go off.

exerciseordie
10-13-2014, 08:09 PM
I really had to have a good amount of it to start getting effects for inflammation.

macedog24
10-14-2014, 04:49 AM
you worded that perfectly that was my notion. .there is overwhelming amount of literature suggesting its benefits, I didn't notice anything but fishy burps
If you wanna eliminate the fishy burps try Wal-Mart brand SPRING VALLEY! it's one of the highest rated .and never had fishy burps!! I hate fishy burps. The encoated pills are small compared to normal fish oil pills. Not real long . Go down easily and like I said NEVER had one fishy burp!

Guillotine
10-14-2014, 05:51 AM
If you wanna eliminate the fishy burps try Wal-Mart brand SPRING VALLEY! it's one of the highest rated .and never had fishy burps!! I hate fishy burps. The encoated pills are small compared to normal fish oil pills. Not real long . Go down easily and like I said NEVER had one fishy burp!
Krill oil is another great way to eliminate fish burps.

macedog24
10-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Yes, a combination of both is the way to go! But for fish oil, you can't beat the quality and there very small and best of all no burps. This is the only brand I didn't have fish burps.

Vision
10-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I really had to have a good amount of it to start getting effects for inflammation.

I may have to try this, how high did you go?

that was one of the main reasons I stopped, I wanted to puke. If I eat something and burped and it mixed, I would gag on the stop

exerciseordie
10-14-2014, 06:20 PM

that was one of the main reasons I stopped, I wanted to puke. If I eat something and burped and it mixed, I would gag on the stop
I think the highest I went was 6g a day

johnjohn
10-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Well no fishy burps lol been taking 3 a day for a week nothing yet

exerciseordie
10-15-2014, 04:41 AM
Well no fishy burps lol been taking 3 a day for a week nothing yet
I never get the fishy burps bro. Idk why...I do eat whenever I take and type of pills so maybe that helps? Also I try not to take crap brands

Gluuutes911
10-15-2014, 05:11 AM

Or just buy the burp-less kind.

macedog24
10-15-2014, 06:58 AM

Agreed and felt the same way! This is the only brand I didn't get the burps. I will not take other brands now. Ugh , I d have those burps all day long.

macedog24
10-15-2014, 07:00 AM
I think the highest I went was 6g a day
I stay around 3g.

johnjohn
10-15-2014, 07:09 AM
The one I have is 1200mg says take 3 times a day haven't had any issues

Oldschool
10-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Fish Oil has many benefits. If you think it doesnt than your an idiot.
You might want to Google "fish oil controversy" before you call people idiots.

jj1969
10-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Dont take it than.

SUPAFREAK76
10-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Yea burp less... Also Coq10 us good

jj1969
10-16-2014, 06:35 PM
You might want to Google "fish oil controversy" before you call people idiots.
Cant believe you told me to Google fish oil controversy. Talk to many vets in the bb and powerlifting scene than get back to me. Otherwise dont tell me to Google a proven supp on what OTHERS think.

Oldschool
10-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Yea, I guess I should have realized that you are not capable of reading the studies and discussing the issue.
Stay happy in your closed minded little world.

Rambo
10-16-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm taking met-rx fish oil, they had a sale once and I bought a bunch of them for super cheap. They also contain Vit d3.

I stopped taking it for a while because it gave me killer gas, I would evacuate rooms, schools, gyms, stadiums, countries....

I started back recently and so far so good. Also no fish burps from the gel caps at all.

Zyglamail
10-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Like most supplements not all are created equal. I wont get into the controversy but I will say is that the most often overlooked supplement for collagen is Vitamin C. Its critical for collagen synthesis. Ascorbate is all ya really need though not the whole complex. Ascorbic acid is cheap, about $15 for a lb, take 6grams a day in divided doses. It will do the body good.

Homedepot20
11-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I tale it mostly for cardiac purposes

theCaptn'
11-07-2014, 12:53 AM
Like most supplements not all are created equal. I wont get into the controversy but I will say is that the most often overlooked supplement for collagen is Vitamin C. Its critical for collagen synthesis. Ascorbate is all ya really need though not the whole complex. Ascorbic acid is cheap, about $15 for a lb, take 6grams a day in divided doses. It will do the body good.

Collagen protein is the bomb!

heavyiron
11-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Omega 3 fish oils and Flex Rx are two products I take every single day.

Essence EFA Omega 3 (http://www.ironmaglabs.com/product/essence-efa/)

Flex RX (http://www.ironmaglabs.com/product/flex-rx/)

johnjohn
11-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Heavy can you tell a difference in the flex Rx does it help with the joint pains

Bamaclaret88
11-15-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm a big fan of fish oil it helps the hart and ur arteries and ur joints and it also helps with ur memory and a few outher things make Shure u get the good fish oil the cheap fish oil has something in it that's not good for ur body I for got what it's called I will try and find it and post a link to the med report its on I take three 1,000 mg fish oil with omega 3 2 x a day on rest day and I take 3 of them on the days I work out. One in the moring one at lunch one after supper or before bed. Pluse I tack iron once a day . It helps out a lot I think

johnjohn
11-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I do the same bama 3 time a day thinking about getting the one heavy is talking about

Rambo
11-15-2014, 08:27 PM
I decided to start using carsons liquid fish oil. Its actually not thay bad of a taste and should last me a good while. The servings have more of the actual omegas in them. I was taking like 15 caps a day. Two tbsp a day gets me more omegas then the caps.

jeeptree2112
12-19-2014, 06:18 PM
No one seemed to mention the only relevancy in taking or choosing fish oil. It COMPLETELY doesn't matter how many mg's you take....it COMPLETELY matters what the percentage of EPA/DHA per serving there is. The higher the percentage=the highest bioavailabilty and dollar savings as well as overall health benefits. Look for oils that are 75% or higher. 85% is pharmacy grade
If this is foreign to you here is an example.....
Say your labal reads total fish oil is 1250mg
It also states 750mg EPA and 250mg DHA
Add the EPA/DHA together=1000mg
Now divide overall oil mg's (1250mg) into overall EPA/DHA mg's (1000mg)= .8 or 80%
This would be a great fish oil to take
Also look for IFOS certified for purity.

Was wondering what everyones take is on fish oil I've been getting a lot of inflammation in my rotary cups after working out so I've added fish oil to the program from what I've read I should have been taking it a long time ago any pros and con's on this

johnjohn
12-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I will definitely look at that the next time I buy thanks for the info

theCaptn'
12-19-2014, 08:36 PM
No one seemed to mention the only relevancy in taking or choosing fish oil. It COMPLETELY doesn't matter how many mg's you take....it COMPLETELY matters what the percentage of EPA/DHA per serving there is. The higher the percentage=the highest bioavailabilty and dollar savings as well as overall health benefits. Look for oils that are 75% or higher. 85% is pharmacy grade
Now divide overall oil mg's (1250mg) into overall EPA/DHA mg's (1000mg)= .8 or 80%

Good info!

Guillotine
12-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Great info

OilLifeLine
12-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Carlson's fish oil here. Love that it's not fishy at all, and a pretty good bang for the buck when considering what really matters when you take fish oil.

jeeptree2112
12-21-2014, 03:55 AM
Good pick! Carlson is one of the better ones

Carlson's fish oil here. Love that it's not fishy at all, and a pretty good bang for the buck when considering what really matters when you take fish oil.

OilLifeLine
12-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Good pick! Carlson is one of the better ones

Yeah my whole family has been taking it for 4 years now, switched over from random gel caps. Kids used to just pop the capsules in their mouth, but since we switched over to Carlson's getting the kids to take their fish oil is so much easier. They're actually excited for it ha ha!

Bulldog
12-21-2014, 07:05 AM
I am actually prescribed fish oil from my shrink at the V.A. who believes it can also help the mind be at ease and it for sure helps with heart functions and general well being, I also believe it helps keep my cholesterol in check which can get kinda high on blast!!!

johnjohn
12-21-2014, 07:37 AM
I've seen articles were studies have been done were it sharpens the mind also if this is true I probably need too double up and run it with my test lol

jeeptree2112
12-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Yep....just buy the closest to precription dose as possible. 75-85% EPA/DHA to total MG is key
I use 10,000iu of Vit D every day as well......the shrink would approve as well, help with well being and everything else as well!!
FYI Vit D in the heat of summer, I have no roof on any vehicle I own, and pool time every day, so lots of sun and blood Vit D3 level are stiil less than top levels!!! That's how Vit D deficient we all are
I have ulcerative colitis.....that's why I take such a high dose, but it prove we all could use more

I am actually prescribed fish oil from my shrink at the V.A. who believes it can also help the mind be at ease and it for sure helps with heart functions and general well being, I also believe it helps keep my cholesterol in check which can get kinda high on blast!!!

Big Puppy
12-22-2014, 01:12 AM
For ulcerative colitis you take vit D?

jeeptree2112
12-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Yes I do. I take Vit D3 10,000iu per day. Multiple studies show and prove VIT D3 benefits to any person with an autoimmune disease....UC and MS especially.
Even full sun in July taking 10k/day my levels were still not in the toxic range. I take Supps that decrease inflammation naturally keeping me off the MEDS.

Sierra2500hd
12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
I've been using fish oil 2x daily and recently started glucosamine. I had horrible tendonitis and while I'm not saying it alone reduced it, I think it was a factor between this, compression sleeves, and reducing extension exercises that aggravated it. It took about 2 months for it to go away and it kept me awake at night.