• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Any Vit D experts?

Sheriv

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
so ..as some of you know. I just had a bunch of blood work and an ekg

the ekg was fine as far as Im concerned...a slightly long t wave...but fuck some left ventricular enlargement and cardio anyway...

anyway..the only lab value that came back REALLY crappy was the vit D @ 12ng/ml with a range of 30-100
so aside from a lack of sun..which is just plain odd because I was in the sun all summer- does anything deplete vit D faster?

You a vegan? You eat enough of it?

The only other thing I know of is kidney issues, or some digestive disorder like chron's

no..I'm not vegan, but I dont eat a lot of fortified foods (none really ). I don't have digestive issues..

kidney issues come into play when calcium is involved...calcium was good.
as far as liver went, those values were awesome as were my cholesterol numbers (triglycerides were through the roof when I was originally diagnosed with thyroid probs)

So what's your vitamin d intake like?

Sometimes low vitamin d is associated with hyperthyroidism... your dude's have recently changed, right?

So what's your vitamin d intake like?

Sometimes low vitamin d is associated with hyperthyroidism... your dude's have recently changed, right?

???????

I dont have any idea what my dietary D is..I havent plugged my diet into anything in probably a yr

I missing half my thyroid from thyroid cancer...Im unlikely to be hyperthyroid ...and the stupid dr only order tsh but that wasn't anywhere near hyperthyroid

Why don't you take a fish oil plus vitamin d?

Did this dr make any recommendations?

yeah, 50,000 iu vit d once a week for 12 weeks

which I'll do..as well as get in the sun more
but I was curious as to whether anything aside from not being in the sun causes the deficiency to begin with

Well, you have shot down all I know of.

I would try what he says then test again... I wonder if hypothyroidism contributes to shedding... I used to work graves for a long, long time, and had to supplement it

Last edited:
I can relate to having low Vit D.

My labs this year said I was low again and I went on Cod Liver Oil from Green Pastures and also take 5,000 IU oral daily.

I get a TON of sun here in Texas and in Florida - doesn't matter; my body is just a pain when it comes to Vit D.

IML Gear Cream!
A low Vitamin D level is not uncommon. For some reason most people have to supplement it, myself included. I take 1200mg fish oil with 1000iu of Vitamin D twice a day. That raised my Vitamin D level from 25 to 56.

The evidence for adding vitamin D is the strongest I've seen for any supplements, and is likely the last one I'd give up if I had to whittle down the pills. It looks like nearly half of us are downright deficient especially in the winter time in mid-latitudes, and even in the summer a lot of people won't get what they need due to mainly being indoors, wearing too much clothing while outside, and maybe slathering on the sunscreen (blocking both cancer and vitamin D) to boot.

The 5,000 IU pills are so small and cheap that it seems like the easiest route. You'd have to eat a lot of salmon and drink gallons of milk to hit the same target.

so ..as some of you know. I just had a bunch of blood work and an ekg

the ekg was fine as far as Im concerned...a slightly long t wave...but fuck some left ventricular enlargement and cardio anyway...

anyway..the only lab value that came back REALLY crappy was the vit D @ 12ng/ml with a range of 30-100
so aside from a lack of sun..which is just plain odd because I was in the sun all summer- does anything deplete vit D faster?

You could try to supplement it.

No idea why it would deplete so fast though.

Hey sheriv, how about your kidneys.as we age our kidneys convert less and less vit D to its active form until it stops all together. There is no set age that I've heard where this specifically takes place.

Also, what nationality are you.? What I mean is, do you normally have dark skin, like Italian, Greek,etc. as we get older supposedly the pigment in our skin reduces the ability to make vit.d even when exposed to the sun. You've covered most things I'm aware of, take fish oil, and ,vitamin d supplement. My children have an appointment coming up soon with there Dr. About this? I will see what else I can find out?

Make sure u get enough calcium if you're going to take a vit d supplement

Make sure u get enough calcium if you're going to take a vit d supplement
Be careful with that recommendation. High levels of vit D actually CAUSE soft tissue calcification when other nutrients are missing, primarily the proper ratio of vit A and ample vit K. Check out the new book by Dr Thomas levy "death by calcium".

Sheriv, spend some time on www.westonaprice.org they have some good info on fat soluble vits, maybe you can find some helpful info.

I have a vit d def. And my doc said to take calcium w the vit d all my numbers are good to go now

I will add that it is my doc at the va so the chance of them trying to kill me is 50/50. So far so good though

lol@ the 50/50 va chance ...very true

thanks for all the helpful hints...
general/generic kidney labs looked good..well within range..its weird you mention it tho mace because my right kidney always gets a bit of an ache to..I assumed it was stones as I've had em before
I AM of greek decent so though I look fairly pale I'm always a bit olive year round...I definitely don't tan easily at all...
an endo yrs ago told me I could likely be outside for upto an hr mid day without risk to up my vit d levels

it was pretty weird to me that my vit d would be that lousy at the end of the summer...

I'll take a look at the link for sure zyglamail

Get Shredded!
it was pretty weird to me that my vit d would be that lousy at the end of the summer...

It could also simply be a genetic predisposition. Some recent pretty large scale studies have identified some genetic variants that seemed to be associated with low vit D. There are similar gene variants that have been identified as affecting the processing and utilization of many nutrients, it just may mean you need constant supplementation.

Back