• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Carbs etc

Raven

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Feedback on diet please. 2 years ago, I had gotten to the disgusting weight of 295. I made the determination I was not hitting 300 and something (ME) had to change. I joined the local gym and read everything I could on weight loss and bodybuilding. I was able to go from that 295 down to 215 in about 9 months time. I knew I had to make a major deficiency in calorie intake to burn what I needed to for me to lose what I wanted to. So for me the choice was simple, I cut out all pasta, carbs, salt, etc everything I thought would hurt where I wanted to be. I took my diet strict and didn’t waiver hardly at all. When I would start to feel burned out, I would look at one of my posters to remind me where my goal was set, or something close to it. But, almost all of the articles I read mention eating pasta for muscle growth. Was I hurting my muscle growth by not eating carbs and trying to shed what I had first? I ended up hurting a bicep and had to take the past several months off while its healed, but Im about to start back up again. Stupidly, I stopped eating clean like I was and have gained a few back. So, the past thought of "should I not eat carbs to drop this first work again" or will be I hindering myself from a good gain. Here’s an example of what I ate last time and was planning again this time.

8am
1C Oatmeal w/honey
Or 3 egg whites and 3 whole eggs w/ franks red hot

10am
2 scoops protein, sometimes w banana

Noon
1 Chicken breast, steamed veg (usually broccoli)
Or 3 cans tuna w lemon juice and pepper

2:00pm
1 scoop protein

2:45pm

Pre-workout and Creatine

3-5 gym

5:30
2 scoops Protein isolate

7:00
Chicken breast w/ pineapple, veg
Or steamed fish

9-930
2 scoops protein

These were my everyday meals during the week. My variation of this was on weekend, Id substitute the chicken for steak and 1 time during weekend, I would have that cheat snack of a PB sandwich. But I had read peanut butter on several articles so figured it wouldn’t kill it. I seasoned everything with only pepper or franks red hot sauce. So this go around, should I add the carbs (rice, potato, pasta etc)
Any suggestions are welcome and I’m all ears. Thanks....

sounds like you have found what works for your body to drop weight..are you trying to continue to lose weight? what are your goals? hold onto muscle and drop BF%??

the tricky thing about dieting is that i have found them to be very individualized and what works for me may not work for you. when i eat carbs vs no carbs I can fluctuate anywhere from 5-15 lbs in just a weeks time. carbs cause me to hold water. although at the same time, when i eat carbs i am definitely able to have more intensity in the gym. it really all boils down to your goals. IF IT WERE ME, i would incorporate some carbs into the diet maybe in my first meal of the day, pre workout, and post workout.

also, looks like you are taking in 7 scoops of protein per day?!?! thats a lot in my opinion--i would switch some of this for cottage cheese or greek yogurt (two of my favorite snacks), handful of raw almonds, turkey jerky

Since Im just starting back, I have to get rid of the weight I put back on, plus lose a few more. I not necessarily looking to have that rock hard 6 pack, although wouldn't hurt my feelings lol, but just not more gut. But at same time, I want to bulk. I kind of built my diet mirroring someone elses, so his scoops became mine #.. Thanks for advice !!

The biggest problem people get into when too worried about diet is they significantly reduce essential nutrient intake because of limited diet choices. You sometimes have a banana, broccoli and a little pineapple. No wjhere near the amount of fruits and veggies needed for proper nutritional intake.

Many people call it clean eating BUT it comes at a cost so you need to be aware of that cost and supplement accordingly.

Chances are your bicep injury was directly related to lack of vitamin C which is essential for collagen production. Potassium is another area where your diet is majorly lacking.

People need to stop obsessing over the macros and start worrying about the micros because if the nutruents arent there, the cleanest diet in the world will not lead to optimal health.

Thank you. I kinda thought that too. more fruits and veg's.

Drop all protein powders.
Don't eat dairy.
Don't eat grains.
You were on the right track.
It should come off quickly.
Then re evaluate.
Good luck.

You're relying too much on protein powders which aren't adequate meal supplements. Also I wouldn't deter you from eating grains, if they are whole and unprocessed (which removes nutritional value and replaces it with garbage). So this isn't in my range of certifications, so all I can do is OFFER you my opinion; i am not saying follow it.
It seems like your consuming far too much protein, there is no benifical reason for it past a threshold; for you if you aren't working out over 5 days a week with 70%+ intensity of your vo2 max you'll only need 1/2 to a MAX of 3/4 of your bodyweight in grams of protein; the rest is disposed. Protein is a building block for muscle, but is hardly used outside of that; so it isn't the most essential thing on earth. Liquid diets which consist of that many protein shakes are depriving you of essential vitas. It is awesome your consuming something that much; but I would suggest you find something else to snack on.
I would suggest eggs and a or 2 red potatoes. I usually dice mine up season with cavenders and cajun seasoning, add a tbsp of canola oil and sautee those bad boys till they have a crisp look to them. Eggs, well I just get over the taste... The reason for carbs in the morning is it speeds up your metabolism throughout the day; so always always get something with carbs in.
Remember, although carbs have the worst name in the world they ARE essential if you don't want to feel dreadful and weak daily. Lack of carbs makes you feel fatigued and nauseous look at bodybuilders post comp. You're obviously eating clean which is the first step, and your using great portions; but you need much more veggies and a few more carbs. I don't suggest pasta because it is easy to over-consume (A problem I face) but some rice and beans stick to bones well and are great in given quantities.
As for peanutbutter although, it is good for you but it is a MASS gainer. Highly concentrated in fat,(Although healthy fat) and paired with bread it isn't ideal. I love putting it in my protein shakes although gives it a nice creamy taste but moderation is key with that for sure.

Great feedback guys, thank you a lot!! I was told 2 grams of protein or every pound I weighed so I was trying to get that in there lol. My plan was yes, lose the weight then bulk. Since I was at almost 300 I felt I needed to get rid of that first. Now that my arms now hurting anymore, I'm starting this back over at 235. Which ain't too bad considering but I just wanted feedback from people who know more about it. I've read a lot of good stuff on here. AND I'm happy to announce I had a TD today so I can't wait now !!!!!! Hell yeah lol. Thanks Mansir !!

Thanks guys!! I just wanted some answers from people who have been doing this a lot longer than me. I was told to try to get 2g in for each pound I weighed so I was packing in the protein to try to Make that. Now that my arm is not hurting anymore, I am starting this over at 2:35, which isn't too bad just wanted to know I was on the right track. AND I received a TD today so I am happy as hell !! Thanks Mansir !!

Back