• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

What do you consider pretty strong for the average size man

badboys

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So what do you think is getting pretty strong in each of the following exercise's for an average size man (170-200lbs).

Bench press

Dead lift

squat

This is what i hear alot

Bench press- 200-250lbs pretty average. 275-315 pretty strong. 320-380 very strong guy. 390-430 stout ass guys with some serious lifting experience and good size packed on there body. 450 + getting into wrestler and body builder status.

Dead lift- this is where i am lost. Never hear many people talk about it in the gym lol.

Squat- pretty much same here need info on what you think

I don't really think you can judge average strength by lifts. Everyone is different. I could squat 430 when I was 16 but now I'm way bigger and I struggle with benching over 315.

theres too much technique in lifting that power lifters know how to perfect to get crazy high numbers. They're all strong but most are not actually as strong as the weight they are lifting. Technique is a science to them.

the average lifter though I would say should be able to deadlift around 400. Not a huge number but not tiny either. But super light for competing power lifters

I've always heard...

Bench = 1.5 X BodyWeight

Squat = 2 x BW

DL = 2.5 x BW

Not what you asked but my next set of goals are as follows:

standing overhead press-200

bench-300

squat-400

dead-500

id go with what octupi said. I think at those numbers you are decently strong. Compared to the general population of emaciated pansies we have now you'd be very very strong. Where I'm at now is stronger than 95% of the "men" that walk around now.

Nuttz51 what's your stats? I am 5'11 barefoot and 203 and around 18% bf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you should be able to deadlift much more than you can bench correct. I guess that's what I get for not deadlifting all them years when I focused on bench, military and other movements. I can bench about 300, real strong in legs but never maxed but. Am going to guess around 400 and deadlift is about 315. I can overhead press 150 about 8 times but never maxed

That table I posted is pretty much what I've always seen. Also the 1.5x 2x 2.5x is pretty common. I'm 182 my bench sucks around 255 squat around 350 deadlift 400. That ratio will basically put you at the "advanced" level of that table I posted.

IML Gear Cream!
Well I am pretty damn strong by that and about right on what I should be on deadlift. Makes me feel alittle better lol. I always thought the mans height played a role in certain movements like bench and deadlift. I am sure a shorter man can preform the deadlift much easier and same with bench the longer the arms the harder it would be. I am pretty tall being 6'0 foot with shoes and have a 72inch reach

Damgar that's not too bad for 182lbs man on the bench but your squat and dead lift is very nice.

Damgar that's not too bad for 182lbs man on the bench but your squat and dead lift is very nice.

I'm all back. My buddies called me out on it yesterday. Told me my back drowns out my chest in a t-shirt. By spring I want to squat 380, pull 450, and bench at least 280. Of course by then I want to be 190 so I'll still be chasing numbers lol

They say the measure of a mans strength is in his back lol. I guess in reality your only as strong as your weakest muscle. I should have mentioned too my arms are about 17.5 with a pump. Trying to hit that 18 mark.

I'm 185 and 5'10"...72" spread

Bench is 275 1RM
Squat is 315 1RM
DL is 350 1RM

Both my squat and DL suffer from two dead discs in lumbar...I never max anymore and do lighter weight for reps. Goal is 315 on bench by Xmas. Need to increase my OH Press to get there though.

My issue is that I have trouble pushing the weights on squat and dead lift simultaneously. I work on squat for awhile then when I plateau I move over to deadlifts. I'll probably lose quite a bit on my 1RM over the next two months. I'm doing some pretty strange things training wise on my cruise. GVT for chest, high reps/failures/drops for back, leg day is just 1x20 squat 1x20 dead lift. My first tren run hit my cardio so hard I became interested in increasing stamina strength.

Varies from individual to individual from what I've seen.

My bench fucking sucks. But I can not deadlift for months and walk in the gym and pull 500+. My buddy that's my work out partner when he decides he wants to lift for a while can walk in and bench 315 for reps after months off from the gym altogether but has never deadlifted 405.

Get Shredded!
I've always liked this write up over at leangains by Martin Berkham

An extra 10 lbs added to your bench isn't impressive if you also gained 10 lbs of body weight. That's a 1:1 ratio of weight to strength, which is strongly indicative of fat gain. However, assume you added 10 lbs to your bench, but only 3 lbs of body weight. That's a 1:3.3 ratio of weight to strength, which is quite good. Odds are most of those 3 lbs came in the form of muscle and not fat.

Setting up specific guidelines to strive for in terms of weight to strength ratio is hard and has been a pet project of mine for a long time. While some very general guidelines can be set up for the average guy of average height and build, there are differences between body types.

Tall and long-armed individuals, such as myself, will excel in pulling movements while suffering in pressing movements. For them, modest weight increases usually result in a lot more weight on the bar on movements such as the deadlift. Conversely, they will always see lower gains in pressing movements and usually have to gain a substantial amount of weight to get their bench moving. The reverse conditions apply to short and barrel-chested individuals, which excel in pressing movements but suffer in pulling movements.

Another confounding factor is training experience. It's easier to get your bench press from 200 lbs to 250 lbs without gaining a ton of weight, but harder to take it from 250 lbs to 300 lbs.

For the intermediate lifter, a category I think the majority of my readers would fall into, strive for the following weight to strength gain ratios:

Bench Press and Weighted Chins* - 1:3

Squat - 1:4

Deadlift - 1:5

* Example, weighted chins:

Body weight (180 lbs) + 25 lbs x 6 = 205 x 6 to body weight (185) + 35 lbs = 220 x 6 is a 1:3 ratio. 5 lbs weight gained, 15 lbs strength gained.

lol...really??

I dont think I can :(
it looks pretty simple to me?

heres the link to the whole write up
http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-look-awesome-every-day.html

and it relates to this write up
http://www.leangains.com/2010/12/maximum-muscular-potential.html
I didn't catch the part about weight gain to strength gain. I was thinking "how the fuck is a 200 pound guy squatting 800 pounds average lol.

And now I feel like a total fag if the average male weighs 198 pounds. Fuck everyone and pass the twinkies. Dicks. :(

LOLOLOLOL

well..it is related to the maximum muscular potential without the use of roids...

I just try to be better than I was the day before. Worrying about what someone else can do doesn't help you. But it is nice to know how you stack up against someone else. In body weight and 1RM ratios I'm pretty feeble (put on a bit of weight in the past year). But I'm stronger in my forties than I was in my twenties. I'd say that's progress.

I am 39 in feb and in the best shape of my life as well. I am more into the way i look anyway instead of what i can lift.

Back