• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Fellow veterans, plz help. (Issues with the VA)

nuttz51

I am a pothead
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hoping there's someone who might know what I should do here.

I got out of the army a couple years ago, didn't file for my disability until about 9 months ago. Filed for multiple things; back injury, insomnia, PTSD, etc

Anyways since I filed the original claim paperwork and turned in all my medical records to them which was roughly 9 months ago they have just been sending me letters saying "we're still processing your claim, sorry for the delay" so whatever at least they are sending me updates, sorta, right?

Yesterday got a letter saying that they could not find my medical records. Yeah that 3 inch stack of paper that I handed to them in person the day I filled out the paperwork. They also said they made an attempt to retrieve my records from the national database or whatever but it was unsuccessful...wtf? I haven't been out that long.

Thank god I made copies of my records but seriously, I turn them in and 9 months later they say they can't find them? Who am I supposed to be giving these to in order for them not just to just end up in a dumpster somewhere?

Does anyone have experience with this and know what I should do to get this process moving the way it should? they owe me money for my troubles. I was active duty so I know they have to have at least have some kind of record keeping where I was stationed (bragg) do they just throw stuff out after a while or what?

Bragg sends your records somewhere else after you get out. You should ask for a compensation and pension exam for ptsd separately. You don't need medical records for that appointment. It's way faster if you have a cib like I do. You're local va regional center will have an area just for compensation and pension. Those are the people you need to contact. I just had a c and p reevaluation done on July 21st.

Why in the hell can't our government take care of our men and women that serve our country? I get so sick and tired of hearing stories about our troops that are wounded and can't get the necessary help they need...makes me sick...

Bragg sends your records somewhere else after you get out. You should ask for a compensation and pension exam for ptsd separately. You don't need medical records for that appointment. It's way faster if you have a cib like I do. You're local va regional center will have an area just for compensation and pension. Those are the people you need to contact. I just had a c and p reevaluation done on July 21st.

They just asked me to write about a couple traumatic events leading to PTSD. I sent that back a while ago and haven't heard anything back about it or any appointments. I know I'm supposed to go get evaluated by a psychiatrist at some point... Are they supposed to just contact you and give you an appointment or what?

The regional office is where I went to start all this and they are the ones I gave my medical records too. IDK if they were the ones responsible for losing them but my regional center is proving to be a fucking joke.

I already contacted a congressman's office about the excessive delays and they're response to them was "We are still in the process of gathering information"...Like no shit, even though they have everything.

It took me over a full year to get my shit squared away. That is the VA! They are going to take their time and get to you when they get to you. The good thing is whatever percentage you get will be back dated from your ETS day. Hell, one of my buddies filed later(like you) and got $14,000 and change from his backdated pay. Funny thing was when all his paperwork was turned in, his was processed faster then mine. Shit I'm still waiting for them to add my wife as a dependent. I swear you have to give these people your right arm and first born to get shit done. LOL

Request your 201 file from Missouri to start with. And I'm dead serious fins out who your state rep and congressman is and shoot them both an email. In the meantime if you can go to a civilian dr for shit do that too

I'm fighting with dependents being phenomenally jacked up at the moment. I'll get together some links for you to look at.

Request your 201 file from Missouri to start with. And I'm dead serious fins out who your state rep and congressman is and shoot them both an email. In the meantime if you can go to a civilian dr for shit do that too

Nutz, see what she said? Do it right now. My pops is a vet, vietnam, I'm a vet and after TEN YEARS, it took pops one damn phone call to his congressman to get instant action. Unfortunately, for me, my records are still redacted or "classifed secret" so I'll be long dead before any action can be taken; i'm not bitter, I knew what I signed up for but pops sure as helll didn't.

Hmm I tried the congressman route and they said all they could do was make an inquiry about it. Which they did and I got nothing from that. Maybe I called the wrong one?

- - - Updated - - -

Sheri what's the 201 file?

IML Gear Cream!
Try a different Congressman then. Your 201 file is your complete military record

You get it from the National personnel records center in St Louis Missouri

Join the VFW. They acted as my representative when I filed. They'll help you fill out a disability claim. It's literally a paper application for benefits. You mail it away and eventually the va will give you an evaluation appointment for every claim. It takes years sometimes. Thanks va has had a terrible claims backlog in recent years. You get retroactive paid from the day the claim was received not the day you etsd. So if it takes them a year or two you are gonna get a big check. They will not pay guys from the day they etsd 10 years later when they decide to file. You can pm me whenever with any questions. Or incase you just need someone to listen to your va problems. Good luck brother.

Join the VFW. They acted as my representative when I filed. They'll help you fill out a disability claim. It's literally a paper application for benefits. You mail it away and eventually the va will give you an evaluation appointment for every claim. It takes years sometimes. Thanks va has had a terrible claims backlog in recent years. You get retroactive paid from the day the claim was received not the day you etsd. So if it takes them a year or two you are gonna get a big check. They will not pay guys from the day they etsd 10 years later when they decide to file. You can pm me whenever with any questions. Or incase you just need someone to listen to your va problems. Good luck brother.

I was actually told that you get back paid from the your ETS date as long as you filed within 1 year of being out, which I did.

Your the second person to recommend the VFW, I'm gonna look into that.

Sheri - I still have the original copies of all my medical records that I got from Bragg right before I left. Is there more stuff in the 201 file that I'm going to need for disability compensation? Just not trying to have more papers with my SSN on them that I don't need, already have too many laying around. Someones gonna find my empty vials in the trash with one of those papers some day I just know it...

it gives service dates and has info from command in it regarding things like fire fights and what not...

its way more than just your medical records...I you're looking for a ptsd claim it can be helpful to have any shred of documentation you can find to cite instances where traumatic events could have occurred
but if you saw a field shrink that may be enough...

if you haven't figured it out already..the va and the military are two totally different entities and they can't simply look at each others files
hell..the IRR tried reclassing hubs as an 11bravo (he was a 22B) and deploying him after he had been rated at 60% disability for a few yrs already. I had to bury Bragg actually in paperwork...175 somethin page fax :) because I'm an asshole like that

America!

Last edited:
I had the same problem. What i had to do was find a VA lawyer however depending where you live it might be a little hard to find one. Also find the Congress person who works with the VA, i was lucky due to the fact that my ex Congress man is on the VA committee. They changed the district "Now i have Rangle" :coffee:.

You can also try the VFW and AmVets, the dav in NYC did nothing for me but waste my time. Maybe your dav is different. Never ever give them your original records, always give a copy. Also if you haven't yet, join your nearest VA hospital and start to document everything. Go to psych for your ptsd, rehab for your back conditions and so forth. Furthermore go to your private doctors and do the same, trust me you will need outside confirmation about what your going through. The VA is notorious for not helping vets get disability. I know cuz i fought them for 25 years to get mine and they only went back to 2009.

However im still happy as kid in a candy store :winkfinger:!!

With that thx for your service and lots of luck.

Back