• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

5x5 program

Haven't used that in forever, since I was in the militiatary. Yeah, and what's the split bro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weeks 1:

Monday - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row 5x5
Wednesday - Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 5x5
Friday - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row 5x5

Week 2:
Monday - Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 5x5
Wednesday - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row 5x5
Friday - Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 5x5

Continue to alt the weeks...

A very simple guide... http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Weeks 1:

Monday - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row 5x5
Wednesday - Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 5x5
Friday - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row 5x5

Week 2:
Monday - Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 5x5
Wednesday - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row 5x5
Friday - Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift 5x5

Continue to alt the weeks...

A very simple guide... http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

:hmm:

That looks good man. I'll follow ya along if you log it, or if you don't I'm still interested in your progress

I haven't done it in a while but looks similar to mark rippetoe's starting strength program.

It's how I started back lifting. Beginner gains were awesome. Wrists, shoulders, elbows, lower back couldn't hang when the weights got manish. Is still use 5x5 as the basis for my compounds but I use a PPL split with higher reps for the smaller lifts. On cycle I switch to a 4x8 to keep from overloading my joints with the strength gains so I can still progress at a pace but not jump the weights so fast. I go back to 5x5 off cycle to keep from getting the mindfuck of not being as strong and keep motivated.

I've tried it,squatting 3 x week is insane,no way I will do it again.5x5 on heavy compound movements is really good,but I was squatting like mon-fri-wed-mon-etc.basically an A-B training,3 days a week.

Im going to try this. Btw strong lifts has a training app for the 5x5 so you can track lifts easily

IML Gear Cream!
Jason Blaha (not my favorite person online to be honest) actually has a pretty good 5x5 for beginners OR (THIS IS A BIG OR IMO) for people who can only get to the gym a few times a week for a month or two. For instance work hours change for a month and that can get you through.

Jason Blaha (not my favorite person online to be honest) actually has a pretty good 5x5 for beginners OR (THIS IS A BIG OR IMO) for people who can only get to the gym a few times a week for a month or two. For instance work hours change for a month and that can get you through.

That's the link I posted a few posts up bro

I think I'm ready to try 5x5 again.. I've been doing 4-5 sets with 12-15 reps on everything. I'm gettin bored, yo

All due respect, this is ancient in terms of how to build strength. I was doing 5x5 when I was 13 and it's a staple of powerlifters everywhere.
It's limitation is in central nervous system limitations otherwise I'd be squatting 2000 pds. This type of workout is all about motor neuron recruitment and adaptation. In other words, the more you do a single exercise, the squat, the better you get at it. First, more muscle fibers are recruited to lift heavy weight and more motor neurons are needed to get those muscles to contract but we can't continue to just add weight ad infinitum, there is both a mechanical and neurological limitation to this type of program.

If you want strength gains I'm all for a 5x5 as a starting point but in the links I read the sheer volume of traing is done at sub-optimal weights. IOW, you aren't really "adding" strength, until the point where the weight is heavy enough for you to engage more motor neurons, thus recruiting more muscle fiber, then add weight, to . . . engage more motor neurons thus recruiting more muscle fibers.

The downside to what I read was that you'd have to start with a totaly useless weight that you systematically increase without concern for recovery of the CNS.

If you want to do 5x5 I am always gonna cheer that one but don't squat and dead on the same day, that's dumb, squat, dead, then maybe stiff deads, or leg press on day 3, whichever you perceive needing more "lift" time.
Example:
Mon
Squat, overhead press, bent rows
wed
Deadlift, bench, and some skull crushers
Fri
any alternative leg exercise, I like the press
Do some heavy forearm work and I don't mean some 20lb dumbell burn, I mean stick 300 on the big bar, stand in front of it and just curl it with your fingers; hurts like hell.
Heavy bicep work

Don't buy into that 30minute bs. Start at 75% of one rep max, THEN, add weight ONCE a week, ONLY, on the bench, overhead, squat, deads and rows. Don't try to increase the weight every damn workout. From then on, add weight ONLY when you hit your reps.
If you want to really hit some numbers, cycle the reps down to 5x3 after 6 weeks, then 3x3 + 2x2. You finish 8-9 weeks and you WILL be stronger and be ready to cycle to a hypertrophy workout.

Now, if you are a new lifter, less than 3 years of lifting, hell follow his protocol to the letter. You'll get BETTER at the lifts, stronger, overall and have a very nice increase in fitness. When your joints start killing you, and they will, move on to a different workout protocol.
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/Images/exercises/forearms/wrist-curl-behind-back-1.jpg

Do forearm like that, NOT with the sissy weights, get in a power rack and load that bitch up.

Get Shredded!
I like to cycle it in at the very beginning of a blast and the beginning of a cruise. Helps hold strength gains. I'm neither a power lifter not a bodybuilder. I just try and get bigger and stronger in small cycles. Periodization would be the strict definition but implies I know wtf I'm doing and I'd hate to mislead anyone lol.

That's is where I started 2 years ado. Changed my life.

Sounds like you are not a beginner though...maybe look into wendlers 5/3/1 ?

Back