PDA

View Full Version : substitute for squats?

b227
06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Hello! I used to lift 5days a week for about 2years and went from 138lbs to 164. But recently I was told I had chrondromalacia and get extreme pains in my knees which unfortunately leg days were my favorite. Since physical therapy I have lost so much mass in my legs. What are some exercises I could do to gain mass but not strain my knees? Squats were my favorite :(

JRotten
06-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Honestly squats and walking lunges are the two things on leg day that DON'T bother by knees. I guess SLDL and standing calf raises also... So that's basically my leg day. Extensions, curls, machines in general all put weird stress on my knees that I can't handle.

jas101
06-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Can you do light weight squats. Like 50% of 1rm. If you can do 1010. I say this because leg press, extensions, lunges, etc all hurt my bad knees worse than squats.

b227
06-26-2014, 07:37 PM
I can barely go up and down my basement stairs. On a good day I won't feel pain until I sit on the couch wrong or accidentally take a step wrong

Unlisted
06-26-2014, 07:38 PM
this^^^ maybe light hack squats or sled as well...light though.....i have a horible back/spine and deadlifts/squats have helped me tremendously plus core but i had to start very light just going through the motions to see what i could handle....try wraps as well..might help...

b227
06-26-2014, 07:53 PM
OK I will try that. Thx for the input. Much appreciated. Damn mil won't give me the surgery until my knee is 100% blown...

jas101
06-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Stay away from narcotic pain pills. They only help in the short term.

b227
06-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Nah I stay away from narcotics. Had to use them in the past and took forever to get off of them. Also they surpress my appetite which means less gains

nuttz51
06-26-2014, 08:21 PM
have you tried knee wraps?

Also vertical leg press (the one where the platform you push is above you) might be a little less taxing on the knees, since you can position your feet pretty much any way possible.

b227
06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
I'll have to try that. I'll have to have my doc clear me to use that machine

b227
06-26-2014, 10:22 PM
I'll have to try that. I'll have to have my doc clear me to use that machine

b227
12-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Just to update in case someone else runs into this same issue. I built a squat rack in mY basement and started squatting light and built back up to heavier weight. I still have pains and once in a while am back on the cane but basically I'm just squatting through the pain and it hasn't worsened but also hadn't gotten better. So I don't feel like I'm damaging it any further. I'm starting yo think its arthritis and not my original diagnosis

Unlisted
12-02-2014, 09:42 PM
hope these work brother....ive heard great things and results on knee replacement surgery...have you tried cortisone shots? nandrolone might help some to....

Unlisted
12-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Just to update in case someone else runs into this same issue. I built a squat rack in mY basement and started squatting light and built back up to heavier weight. I still have pains and once in a while am back on the cane but basically I'm just squatting through the pain and it hasn't worsened but also hadn't gotten better. So I don't feel like I'm damaging it any further. I'm starting yo think its arthritis and not my original diagnosis

great news brother...and take it slow...i rebuilt my core and lower back and never felt better and avoided a L5 S1 surgery....just started light and listen to your body..if ya build the muscle around the damaged area it supports the issue so etimes...keep at it...your going in the right direction...

b227
12-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Gracias I agree and thank you for the feedback

wrbsuperman
12-04-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm a big fan of oly squatting, but I always (when bb'ing) immediately followed it up with super heavy leg presses. Personally, I think leg presses are performed poorly by at least 85% of those doing them, it's really about the pump, a pulse-like movement. Also keeping the knees in line with the hips, and the feet in line with the knees. Have a spotter with you to gauge where your shins and quads make 90* to keep those knees safe, you can look at the rail/track at that point then you don't need a spotter for future sets (I actually keyed a small line where my position was, but that was after 4 straight years at the same gym haha).