• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

who invented the dual mass flywheel?

Sheriv

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
they should be killed

assholes

throw-out bearing is making noise in my car so it'll be time for a clutch.
temping to put a solid state flywheel in the car...fml

^^ i like honest johns write ups

my bimmers clutch takes a cpl of tools I don't own...

idk, I guess the transmission is fairly light tho.

I don't even get the dual mass flywheel in this thing. its dumb. its not exactly a high vibration vehicle...but perhaps this is why multiple people have commented on how smooth shifting is ..that or the shorty shifter

fuck
Im almost done acquiring parts to tear down various sticky maintenance items on it that require tearing down half the car and now this.

to add to that...thank god both of our cars have timing chains...the timing belt is possibly the stupidest invention I've ever seen

:coffee:....actually now a days a belt is just as if not more reliable than a chain , and honestly the chain has no maint sch on it.....and the plastic guides and oilers all break and fall out and wipe out ur motor so unless its ohv motor with a chain I dont have no confidence in it ....ohc motors with chains are comin apart like plastic toy models lol......do atlest one month in my shop .....and ur bemmer may just need throw out bearin .....and dual mass fly wheel ???? If u have noise when pressure clutch pedal or relaesin it or a rotational noise out of gear ...most likely the rollers in bearin are goin bad but fly dont have nothin to do with it .....dual mass fly sounds like a made up name for balanced fly wheel ...i guess they need reason for price hike

to add to that...thank god both of our cars have timing chains...the timing belt is possibly the stupidest invention I've ever seen

Honda torques the harmonic balancer to 200ft/lbs, it took a 6 foot cheater bar to break it loose.

Honda torques the harmonic balancer to 200ft/lbs, it took a 6 foot cheater bar to break it loose.
Hahaha thet have a tool that hold balancer stationary and lets crank on balancer bolt ...either way its insane how tight the bolt is ...

^^^^ this

its annoying as shit...i can see it for a big fucking diesel but for the bimmer?

twistedgto...while I respect your opinion as a mechanic...I have driven more than a few chain driven cars with close to 300k with narry a peep from the chain guides (my gsxr was another story on chain clatter) but seen more than a few hondas and nissans utterly wiped out by their failing belts because no one keeps up on the maintenance ...no thank you.

and of course the car only needs the throw out bearing replaced but it'd be positively stupid if its being torn apart with 170k on it to get at the throw out bearing to not replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel as well. Also I've been noticing a bit of double clutching in the neighborhood of first and second so its likely time.

looking at a solid flywheel is turning out to be just as stupidly expensive as the dual mass...

I think I'm gonna drop this off at a shop when I get some dough and have the rear main done while I'm at it.

funny how the jeeps clutch didn't intimidate me at all but this one scaresthe crap out of me :/

- - - Updated - - -

I've done a few of these...I hate them

^^^^ this

its annoying as shit...i can see it for a big fucking diesel but for the bimmer?

twistedgto...while I respect your opinion as a mechanic...I have driven more than a few chain driven cars with close to 300k with narry a peep from the chain guides (my gsxr was another story on chain clatter) but seen more than a few hondas and nissans utterly wiped out by their failing belts because no one keeps up on the maintenance ...no thank you.

and of course the car only needs the throw out bearing replaced but it'd be positively stupid if its being torn apart with 170k on it to get at the throw out bearing to not replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel as well. Also I've been noticing a bit of double clutching in the neighborhood of first and second so its likely time.

looking at a solid flywheel is turning out to be just as stupidly expensive as the dual mass...

I think I'm gonna drop this off at a shop when I get some dough and have the rear main done while I'm at it.

funny how the jeeps clutch didn't intimidate me at all but this one scaresthe crap out of me :/

- - - Updated - - -

I've done a few of these...I hate them
Hey just tryin to throw out there what i seen most common these days , I have never ever seen a timing belt break if maintance is followed and hey if u cant follow maint. maybe u shouldnt take on responsibilty of ownin a car yea shit comes up we cant get it done at that time theres a cushion with time and again never ever have a seen a timing belt that was replaced just break ...hey I think u have a good head on ur shoulders sheriv ...but i have done a shit load of mini coopers,bemmers ,2.2l echo techs(gm).....nissans 3.5l and even toyota 2.4l and there 1.8l engines ......hey i just dont speak from personal experience here I see cars all day everyday ......and im sick of them honestly ..hey if 10,000 hp drag cars use belts they should be good enough for passenger cars but they have to be replaced lol........again just chimming in on a thread here ....and again u have a good head on ur shoulders and yes rear main seal and throw out bearin clutch and pressure plate and pilot bearin should be done as u said and that dual mass fly wheel inspected .

yeah..I used to work in a shop..I hear ya
plenty of people don't follow maintenance on used cars because they just don't want to hear it. I saw fairly wealthy people do it all the time.
I just don't trust a fiber infused piece of rubber to keep timing..and a drag car is torn down after almost every race so thats a lousy comparison.
used to do that too...

Ive literally never seen a chain driven or gear to gear wiped out by a bad chain...

I DID replace a chain tensioner on my old bimmer while I had it out to replace a seal...but never dealt with a customers car and its timing chain.

like I said...my motorcycle was a different story. I eventually gave up and just went with everyone else on the issue..suzukis have chain clatter

I'm thinking the dual mass should just get done while its apart... this is my thought on it. Im pretty pissed either flywheel option is around 300 bucks tho

*kicks rocks*

two other stupid effin pieces of crap on the bmw are the DISA valve and the CCV

..Ok.....just chimming on ur thread sounded like u were lookin for some avenues or some different inputs ...lmao

nah..I'm just complaining about the ridiculously high price tag of such a stupid piece of crap

no problem with the timing chain :p

eurp_0911_10_o%2Bbmw_m3_project%2Bvanos_unit.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you this tho...fuck some vanos seals

Get Shredded!
the luk is actually cheaper...theres some argument as to which is OEM in the car

my trucks and the jeeps always got luks ...seems weird to me to be lookin at luks for the bimmer

yes...

I bought my R6 through an auction..it had been flipped end over end...had 128 miles on it

it needed all new plastic and what appeared to be the stator cup...
turns out it had a flattened stator cup and a bent crank..lol

so..I tore it down to the block, empty and learned very quickly that the bearings are individually sized (color coded) by the numbers on the two block halves and the numbers stamped on the crank

good times

I rode that bike for three seasons and sold it for four times what I paid for it.

they should be killed

assholes

throw-out bearing is making noise in my car so it'll be time for a clutch.
temping to put a solid state flywheel in the car...fml
try taking your foot off the clutch when you drive ,throw out bearing and clutch will last longer

I also can time and tune inline carbs :)
I'm actually really god at that....too bad its almost useless info with fuel injection now

- - - Updated - - -

try taking your foot off the clutch when you drive ,throw out bearing and clutch will last longer

car has 170k on it...

my foot rests firmly on the floor when not depressing the clutch...but thank you for your useless input

my hand also comes off the shifter (to not wear the synchros) and I tend to shift with just my index finger in this particular car...

yes...

I bought my R6 through an auction..it had been flipped end over end...had 128 miles on it

it needed all new plastic and what appeared to be the stator cup...
turns out it had a flattened stator cup and a bent crank..lol

so..I tore it down to the block, empty and learned very quickly that the bearings are individually sized (color coded) by the numbers on the two block halves and the numbers stamped on the crank

good times

I rode that bike for three seasons and sold it for four times what I paid for it.

How big of a pain in the ass is it to replace a cam chain on a motorcycle? On my Bandit the cam chain is in the middle of the block rather than on the end of the motor.

Yeah..it's a pita.
Have to split the case. It's not undoable but need a torque wrench in inch lbs

Yea with euro cats you have to buy a whole new set of tools. Also they out shit on there guys for no reason just because it's techy which is expensive as hell to fix due to nothing aftermarket. Don't even get me going about Mercedes. I'll stick with my Sti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back