• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

deadlifts

Morray

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
neeed some advice for deadlifts, killing my lower back. any suggests for a great bulking besides these, or a better form of it?

I am/have been in the same boat bro. Try "rack lifts". Youtube them. Saves the back it seems to me at least, and focuses on just the lower back. Legs don't get the work, but i got some nice wheels anyhow.

I got a coach who worked with me a couple weeks. Turns out my form was pretty good on the way up but not so much going down. At least once the weights got heavy. Haven't hurt my back dead lifting since. Back still gets to hurting when I have to work with concrete. Guess I need a coach for that. Lol.

It's probably your form but without seeing it I wouldn't hazard a guess. I know I used to squat the weight more than dead lift it. Dead lifts, squats, rows, pull-ups... They all actually cured my back pain. Go figure.

It's probably your form but without seeing it I wouldn't hazard a guess. I know I used to squat the weight more than dead lift it. Dead lifts, squats, rows, pull-ups... They all actually cured my back pain. Go figure.

Same here. I used to have alot of back pain and correcting my form helped tremendously. I used to fear dead lifts because of prior back injuries (not related to lifting) but now I welcome them with open arms :cool:

Questions: are you using a belt? STOP IT! ARe you doing ancillary exercises? DO 'EM!!
reverse hypers, hypers with weight, stiff legged deads, GOOD MORNINGS (gm's are the king of exercises to strengthen mid, low, back issues)
WEIGHTED SIT UPS ON INCLINE BENCH

a weak core, in my experience, is almost always the component of pain and poor form.

BUT, three thumbs up for pulling til it hurts.

Last edited:
If your gym has a trap bar, by all means use that. Takes a lot of stress off the lower back by allowing you to pull from a more advantageous position. I would take some time to assess the strength of your glutes and abductors. Those being weak can force the lower back to compensate taking on undue stress and "gluteal amnesia" is quite prevalent in our society as a result of our lifestyle. If that's not the case and you don't have to do deads then just stop. I know it sucks to cut out an exercise where we all get to lift big weight and slam shit on the ground but there is the possibility that you are not built for them. Aside from the trap bar, the rack pulls mentioned work great, zercher squats work a lot of the same muscles and rack pulls with a snatch grip will give your upper back some crazy depth and thickness.

OMG!! Stop dead lifts? Lower the weight? Use a "trap" bar? I'M IN FUCKING BIZARRO WORLD!!!

In all seriousness, analyze your technique to determine if you are just sloppy. Then analyze perceived weak spots by working what's weak first in your workout.
You say your low back hurts. So, I ask, are you rounding your back in anyway? Lifting or lowering. Use the mirror and answer honestly.
If that's not the case. Are you using a belt? Take it off, THEN, it's ok ( I guess ;) ) to lower the weight BUT hit some good mornings, stiff deads, back extensions, WEIGHTED SIT UP'S (not crunches); preferably on an incline.
Also, are you doing ANY stretching? THis can help. Myself, I find, lower body stretching un-neccesary as I use extreme ranges of motion to avoid them.

IML Gear Cream!
Legs 4-6" from the bar, ass down, chest up and out, look upward on an angle and... PULL BABY PULL!
the better your "posture" at the start the better the finish. And please oh please don't be one of those guys who feels he has to rock back like a wild horse at the top, drive your ass forward and squeeze at the top. Worked for me, helped me go up in weight and zero back pain

Get a good warm up. Get the blood going before any compound lift. Especially squats and deadlifts.

Take it easy on the dbol if applicable

Drink 1 lliter of water in the gym. Pace it and force it if need be.

drop the belt, straps and weight and get it right.

Clue up the money song.

let it rip.

neeed some advice for deadlifts, killing my lower back. any suggests for a great bulking besides these, or a better form of it?

Want some advice in deadlifts? Stop doing them! I work in physical therapy and we see so many facet joint and disk injuries from this terrible exercise. One of the therapists refers any deadlifts injuries elsewhere. It is a destructive exercise and really
Unnecessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want some advice in deadlifts? Stop doing them! I work in physical therapy and we see so many facet joint and disk injuries from this terrible exercise. One of the therapists refers any deadlifts injuries elsewhere. It is a destructive exercise and really
Unnecessary

BULLSHIT!
Don't do deads because they'll HURT? your back?
Tell that to Mr. Olympia, Franco Colombu.

I didn't think anybody bought into this myth any more.
I bet you think SQUATS ARE BAD FOR THE KNEES.
Tell that to Samir.

OP, do the adjustments that have been suggested and make that bar bend:

You must incorporate the legs in your deads! As soon as you hinge back you must transfer the load to your legs! Deads are a total body exercise not just lower back!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Ya because columbou did them that makes it safe? I work in rehab and see the same shit a lot and hear the same thing your saying until you blow your back out. Not saying it's guaranteed but it happens a lot.

Last edited:
BULLSHIT!
Don't do deads because they'll HURT? your back?
Tell that to Mr. Olympia, Franco Colombu.

I didn't think anybody bought into this myth any more.
I bet you think SQUATS ARE BAD FOR THE KNEES.
Tell that to Samir.

OP, do the adjustments that have been suggested and make that bar bend:

Do whatever you want I don't give a shit. Fact is , bb'ers and football players get hurt doing it. If you're getting paid like your idols to do it that's a different story. We all know athletes will kill themselves for a paycheck, talk to an nfl player. Why risk it if you don't have to?

Tr 71 I have to disagree with you only for the simple fact I use to suffer from sciatica until I started doing deads. Mind you my former is impeccable and don't go over 500lbs

Tr 71 I have to disagree with you only for the simple fact I use to suffer from sciatica until I started doing deads. Mind you my former is impeccable and don't go over 500lbs

So you disagree with the fact I treat clients who've injured their backs doing deadlifts? Ok then. That's great that deadlifts cured your sciatica. Of course proper form is essential blah blah blah and bro science prevails here. Go ahead and do them, it's your body, I've seen enough injured athletes to know it's not worth the risk.

Get Shredded!
No I disagree that it's a destructive exercise and it's unnecessary that is false if done properly it's very effective

I stand corrected, "it's not physically possible to injure a facet, annulus, protrude a disk or rupture a disk doing deads"

No I disagree that it's a destructive exercise and it's unnecessary that is false if done properly it's very effective

And I also said it doesn't happen to everyone didn't i? I did deads and now I don't, I got hurt, most likely from bad form and I have a pre existing back injury from my hockey days so in my professional opinion it's not worth it.

Hold on there TR71, I, sincerely, mean no disrespect. I just thought my post was tounge in cheek funny.
While you may see people injured from deadlifting to say the dead lift should just be dropped is, well, silly.
Did you engage these people to see if they were using piss poor form? Perhaps they went up in weight WAY to fast? Perhaps they started lifting with a belt to soon? Perhaps their knowledge of lifting fundamentals is equally piss poor?

I mean, since you have them at your disposal so to speak, why not educate them on how to build supporting structuers so they don't hurt themselves again? Tell them how to build a strong core. Tell them how to PROPERLY squat and deadlift.
I jumped on your statement because the deadlift PREVENTED me from having back surgery.
Short version: Hurt at work, Slipped disk, Surgeon needing to pay for kid's college. Me, HELL NO. I did the therapies. I talked to KOWLEDGEABLE people, such as yourself, and I changed the manner in which I lifted.
It hurt but not to the point of having to take narcotics but I spent 6 weeks with therapist, doing good mornings, hip raises, reverse hypers and when I got the new x-rays; no disc issues.
Admittedly, I had not crushed anything, soft tissue damage was negligble, but the disc was in line now and I was good to go.
(as an aside, at work, they did nothing to prevent such a disaster in the future)

I started doing, as suggested btw from the therapist, "good mornings". Til that time I'd thought them silly. I was wrong.
I'm 48, and I'll cycle out of deadlifting to do JUST good morning (3 plates 10 reps easy) for at least 3 weeks.

My, loong winded point, is that just saying "don't do deads because . . . ) isn't really helpful.
It's a great exercise if done properly. The same with squats. I've lived all over the U.S. and never a year went by, in some "gym" where some butthed would want to tell me I shouldn't squat "so low" or "so heavy" or I'd HURT MY KNEES. Bah, you're a professional, you KNOW that's bullshit.
There is certainly room for argument that an injury would be of such a nature that compressive lifts should be minimized or outright avoided but hell at least put up some alternatives.

Again, I thought my post would be seen more humorously and it wasn't posted to be disrespectful.

I do educate them on proper form, that's my job. Every person that has these type of injuries is educated on spinal stabilization exercises which power lifters are notoriously weak at. There is a misconception that I'm huge and I can lift a truck but I can't stand on one foot without my knee bending inward or can't recruit multifidus before queuing the large erector groups .each client is told what to do and then I make them do the exercise with an assistant in front Of a mirror, give them homework and guess how many do it? 1/10 maybe, and then they return with the same injury and they can't reproduce the stabilization exercises that I have them. Hard core athletes listen, pro athletes and college athletes listen, most do not. Te likely reason deads aided your recovery is that the common treatment for disc protrusions and annular tears is extensions. The problem with deads that I have from a biomechanical standpoint is the flexed position at the beginning of the exercise. Think squeezing a hard boiled egg between two fingers, the egg will squirt out posterior . Extensions cause the reverse to occur, it drives the disk material centrally which is why extension exercises are given for those type of injuries. Notice with good mornings th lumbar spine isn't flexed, it's actually hip rotation; however, the erectors still fire in extension to compensate which helps with disk issues. I have no issue with squats, I have alternatives for deads, just do extensions with hip rotation and minimize lumbar flexion especially if you know you are prone to lumbar strain, facet dysfunction and disk problems. And by all means make core stability a priority if you are lifting heavy. I rarely see guys doing any core work. Most people Think crunches are a core stability exercise. It gets frustrating in practice that's for aure

Last edited:
Deadlifts are only bad for mentally and/or severely physically handicapped people...

It's the most primal lift. Picking up something heavy off the floor...
Seriously?.. get real...

NIOSH guidelines indicate that it takes roughly 3000 psi in the 90th percentile female to rupture a disc. If memory serves me correctly that's around 80lbs? Don't quote me in that but we did it in a simulator in ergonomics class 2nd year. That's why job classifications indicate people must be able to lift 50lbs to do a particular job. That's for a female by the way. The reason that standard was used is because people blow out there disks doing the most primal lift with great frequency. Bodybuilders and power lifters a are a different beast obviously and these standards are atypical for that population. My point is I've seen it happen a lot, why, don't know and honestly, people don't like to tell there therapist how they injured themselves because they don't want to get the gears from them. Train safe and hope for the best

Back