• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Calories from BCAA's

pitt

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I couldn't decide on posting this either in the supp section or here. I wanted to get a discussion going for those of us who use BCAAs on a regular basis and how we count them towards our daily caloric goal. FDA doesn't mandate the proper labeling of calories from BCAAs since they do not fall under the category as a whole macronutrient entity, and as such, most supplement companies leave the label as 0 (probably to boost sales). The truth is if bcaas did not contain calories, then protein itself would be calorie free. We all know that's false and the general assumption that most of us follow is that protein = 4 cal/gr, carbs = 4 cals/gr and fat = 9 cals/gr. An important thing to keep in mind is that the general caloric content of protein is estimated as an average of all amino acids contained therein. This can range from 3 calories to as much as 7 per each individual amino acid. When looking at the average caloric value of our dear BCAAs (valine, leucine, isoleucine), you'll notice that each of them, on a gram per gram basis, contains closer to 6 cal/gr. Thus, while counted as 0 per the FDA's guidelines, they are in fact more calorie dense then standard whole protein food sources or supplements.

Personally, I always count my BCAAs toward my daily caloric goals in the vain of 6 cals per gram. Thus, if I drink 10 grams of BCAAs then I chalk up 60 calories. I was wondering if anybody else does the same? Either way, hopefully this information will be helpful to anybody supplementing with BCAAs now or in the future.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 2]
[Revised as of April 1, 2009]
[CITE: 21CFR101]

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER B--FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION PART 101 FOOD LABELING

Subpart C--Specific Nutrition Labeling Requirements and Guidelines

Sec. 101.36 Nutrition labeling of dietary supplements.

(2)Information on dietary ingredients that have a Reference Daily Intake (RDI) or a Daily Reference Value (DRV) as established in 101.9(c) and their subcomponents (hereinafter referred to as "(b)(2)-dietary ingredients"). (i) The (b)(2)-dietary ingredients to be declared, that is, total calories, calories from fat, total fat, saturated fat,trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, total carbohydrate, dietary fiber, sugars, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron, shall be declared when they are present in a dietary supplement in quantitative amounts by weight that exceed the amount that can be declared as zero in nutrition labeling of foods in accordance with 101.9(c). Calories from saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, sugar alcohol, and other carbohydrate may be declared, but they shall be declared when a claim is made about them. Any other vitamins or minerals listed in 101.9(c)(8)(iv) or (c)(9) may be declared, but they shall be declared when they are added to the product for purposes of supplementation, or when a claim is made about them. Any (b)(2)-dietary ingredients that are not present, or that are present in amounts that can be declared as zero in 101.9(c), shall not be declared (e.g., amounts corresponding to less than 2 percent of the RDI for vitamins and minerals).
Protein shall not be declared on labels of products that, other than ingredients added solely for technological reasons, contain only individual amino acids.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...RPart=101&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:2.0.1.1.2.3

Attachments

• amino acid calories.png
    amino acid calories.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 19
Interesting read. It makes sense that BCAAs would have calories as they are essentially the building blocks of protein. I guess I'll make the small change in caloric values to my diet.

Bump. Want to hear some more opinions on how others view their BCAAs.

Interesting read. I just got started on Aminocore BCAAs and got the following from the bottle (serving size = 7 tablets):

BCAAs 8,180 mg
L-Leucine 3,681 mg
L-Valine 2,454 mg
L-Isoleucine 2,045 mg
Alpha Ketoisocaproic Acid 250 mg

So this is 8 grams total, or 48 calories. TBH it's kind of a rounding error on our daily calorie reqs so I'll probably ignore it.

i dont count it towards daily calories, i take a small amount during workouts plus what ones are in my other supps

Interesting read. I just got started on Aminocore BCAAs and got the following from the bottle (serving size = 7 tablets):

BCAAs 8,180 mg
L-Leucine 3,681 mg
L-Valine 2,454 mg
L-Isoleucine 2,045 mg
Alpha Ketoisocaproic Acid 250 mg

So this is 8 grams total, or 48 calories. TBH it's kind of a rounding error on our daily calorie reqs so I'll probably ignore it.
I'd consider it more then a rounding error when the companies do not even label the calories from their bcaas.

Amino acids caloric content is irrelevant. They are already broken down and will serve their purpose and nothing further.

I used to back when I took BCAAs. It's such a small amount of calories though! Good info Pitt.

Back