• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Carb up clean or dirty?

drizzydre8

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Any competitive bodybuilders on here with insight on this topic?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

If you're competing, clean, white simple carbs are best for getting the insulin effect you're looking for, getting your muscles filled up with glycogen, and getting your metabolism reset.

Pizza and fries may be full of carbs, but they're also full of things you don't need, they're not going to give you the look you want. Also, the sodium is atrocious.

Off-season - go ahead and enjoy what you want.

Agree with RAINier, depends on your goals. If you're a competitive powerlifter who doesn't have a care in the world, or looking to gain as much muscle mass as possible. A 50/50 mix, with some dirty, some clean will give you a surplus of nutrients so you don't have to worry about glycogen stores not being refilled. If you are a competing bodybuilder, or are looking to either gain lean muscle mass, or cut off some body fat. You want to stick to foods that carry simple and complex carbs that don't also bring all the fat, sodium, and crap you don't need. Rice and fiber carbs are always going to be your best bet in this regard, but if you just want to get as big as possible first, you will make a lot more muscle gains if you go over that threshold (even though you're gaining fat as well) compared to just meeting your carb quota for the day.

R3ps is an active competitor, his insights might be most useful here.

Are you prepping for a show?

If you're competing, clean, white simple carbs are best for getting the insulin effect you're looking for, getting your muscles filled up with glycogen, and getting your metabolism reset.

Pizza and fries may be full of carbs, but they're also full of things you don't need, they're not going to give you the look you want. Also, the sodium is atrocious.

Can you list a few?

I mean actually right before the show. After depletion. Maybe Night before. Last show I carb ed clean and didn't fill out in time. When on stage a lil flat. Ate pizza that night and blew up! Filled out completely so wanted to try it this show coming up.

I am 3 weeks out from this Saturday coming up

Can you list a few?
I'm guessing white rice, bagels, pancakes, white potatoes, pasta, to name a few.

I do not compete, so my carb up while not dirty, is not ideal but it sure helps me hit my 700 grams of carb goal.

Last Saturday..... Pop Tarts, pineapple fruit cup, pancakes with syrup, white potatoes, apple cider, white rice (some butter), Pop Tarts, protein shake, big plate of spaghetti and basil sauce, one slice garlic toast.......

I'm guessing white rice, bagels, pancakes, white potatoes, pasta, to name a few.

I do not compete, so my carb up while not dirty, is not ideal but it sure helps me hit my 700 grams of carb goal.

Last Saturday..... Pop Tarts, pineapple fruit cup, pancakes with syrup, white potatoes, apple cider, white rice (some butter), Pop Tarts, protein shake, big plate of spaghetti and basil sauce, one slice garlic toast.......

I've been obsessed with protein pan cakes lately... Can't get enough

I use pop tarts religiously pre and post workout! Used them to carb up before last show but didn't fill out in time

IML Gear Cream!
Pop Tarts are a gift from heaven :)

Shoot XYZ or s2h a PM. Very knowledgeable about contest prep.

LOL, thats a lot of damn carbs JD...

After the summer I'm going to try and seriously bulk like that. Looking to hire someone now because I hate doing the work.

But understand during the week I consume less then 25 grams of carbs a day...... The 700 grams is to restore glycogen stores for the following week.

During the summer I might sneak in some boardwalk fries, pizza and Kohr's Brothers frozen custard at Ocean City..... but no one needs to know that.

But understand during the week I consume less then 25 grams of carbs a day...... The 700 grams is to restore glycogen stores for the following week.

During the summer I might sneak in some boardwalk fries, pizza and Kohr's Brothers frozen custard at Ocean City..... but no one needs to know that.

Yeah I was referring more to a daily basis. Right now all I eat for carbs is Ezekiel bread and brown rice pasta. Mostly due to digestion issues. It doesn't make me fat and I can get in 400g without much effort. I cant eat potatoes any more either which pisses me off. I eat so clean now that anything dirty makes me feel like I'm going to die.

I mean actually right before the show. After depletion. Maybe Night before. Last show I carb ed clean and didn't fill out in time. When on stage a lil flat. Ate pizza that night and blew up! Filled out completely so wanted to try it this show coming up.

A reoccurring theme I often see in terms of show carb bombs is always the pizza. Pizza seems to be king when it comes to opening those cells up very quickly, and very densely. A loaded pizza like "Rick's rocky chicken pizza" or something like that is usually a good choice. However, you need to keep in mind the other nutrients/macros a certain pizza brings to the table and how they can affect your physique. Pre show your body is in a very delicate condition, a certain amount of sodium/carbs/fats can make or break your physique, it takes a long process of trial and error to figure out the best combination for a pre show carb bomb, but the loaded pizza is usually a good starting bet.

Yeah I was referring more to a daily basis. Right now all I eat for carbs is Ezekiel bread and brown rice pasta. Mostly due to digestion issues. It doesn't make me fat and I can get in 400g without much effort. I cant eat potatoes any more either which pisses me off. I eat so clean now that anything dirty makes me feel like I'm going to die.

Haha I got that shit too after like 4 years of never having a cheat meal or junk/fast food.... Whenever I go eat bad; I feel like I'm going to puke, get the runs, and/or break-out in acne if it's high in saturated fats

Why can't you eat potatoes any more??

Yeah r3ps I've notice every time I eat pizza it fills me out. I think it just works for me. Pre judging is at 9 am so I think I'll eat it the night before and see how it works.

This ^

Though i prefer brown rice over white, why you ask? I just like the taste of brown more, call me crazy. But seriously he is right about the sodium. Sodium can either make you look good or like trash, all about finding the sweet spot.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Why can't you eat potatoes any more??

They just don't agree with me. Maybe its my thyroid issue making me overly sensitive to everything I put in my body. I don't know. I feel like I ate a boat anchor if I eat them. Even just sliced and baked in olive oil. They are on my blood type list to as a do not eat. After months of adhering to that list I find that going back to things the list says I shouldn't eat make me feel like shit. I know some guys have a hard time believing the blood type/eating thing but its real shit. Fortunately I'm type O so the list of don't eat is very tiny. Almost less than 1/4 the size of all the other types.

Get Shredded!
A reoccurring theme I often see in terms of show carb bombs is always the pizza. Pizza seems to be king when it comes to opening those cells up very quickly, and very densely. A loaded pizza like "Rick's rocky chicken pizza" or something like that is usually a good choice. However, you need to keep in mind the other nutrients/macros a certain pizza brings to the table and how they can affect your physique. Pre show your body is in a very delicate condition, a certain amount of sodium/carbs/fats can make or break your physique, it takes a long process of trial and error to figure out the best combination for a pre show carb bomb, but the loaded pizza is usually a good starting bet.

I so have to hire a coach next year....there is no fucking way I can do this shit on my own.

If you are waiting till the night before the show to carb up don't you think that is more the reason you're not filling up enough more than the type of carbs you're using ? Shouldn't you start this load say 48 hrs before ? How about some of these engineered carbs such as glycofuse or karbolyn . I do know that my last comp , many years ago , I ate pizza after at the party and blew up as never before veins and everything so I was thinking the same thing for the next go but never did it .

I would never use anything I didn't cook from scratch myself that last week. No way as there are far too many variables and may be off on sodium/potassium. Keep it simple the last week. There is no magic food or formula.

If your lean enough its easy to fill out even weeks before so you can be more cautious.

I loaded on 300g carbs on Thursday, 1400 on Friday with 6oz water per 14 meals. Dropped sodium to 1/4 tsp per meal and proteins were around 10g per meal with the 100g carbs. Day of show I woke up and continued this load. Prestage I eat pb cups or something with fat and carbs. Do not drink water till minutes before stage. You will never spill no matter how much carbs you eat till you add too much water.

Yes my car but will start two days before what I'm saying is I will eat my dirty meal the night before. I will carb cleaned prior to that

That's exactly what happened to me l69lou!! I ate pizza posts: competition and blew up larger than ever before so I wanted to give it a shot as my last carb up meal right before hitting the stage

Last show I used sweet potatoes and poptarts and brownies. When I was doing my pump up i ate Reese's peanut butter cups and red wine

That's exactly what happened to me l69lou!! I ate pizza posts: competition and blew up larger than ever before so I wanted to give it a shot as my last carb up meal right before hitting the stage

Be careful with this! You have to duplicate everything and set it back a day. Your carb up depletion, day of show and all.

What you all fail to realize is that most look worse at show due to cortisol because of stress. You don't have that post show.

Back