• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Australian Sports Medicine Doctor Endorses Steroid Harm Reduction

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Australian Sports Medicine Doctor Endorses Steroid Harm Reduction
by Millard Baker ~ source

Dr. Tony Millar has called upon the international sports community to end the war on anabolic steroids and performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). In the wake of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal, most so-called “doping experts” have called for increased spending in the war on steroids in sports. Millar thinks drug testing has been a monumental failure and anabolic steroids have been unfairly demonized.

The United States Anti-Doping Agency’s report on doping by Lance Armstrong and the United States Postal Service pro cycling team may have been devastating for the career of Armstrong. However, in USADA’s zealous pursuit of the American cyclist, they also (inadvertently) exposed the futility of current anti-doping protocols.

Millar has a long history as a sports medicine physician who has worked closely with elite athletes in Australia. Millar opened the first Australian sports medicine clinic. He was also a former team doctor for the St. George Rugby club and the Australian Commonwealth Games.

Millard recently told Adrian Proszenko of the Sydney Morning Herald that he believes PEDs should be allowed in professional sports as long as they are administered and monitored by a qualified health professional.

”It doesn’t hurt them if they do it properly,” Millar said.

The retired doctor was forced to resign from the medical staff of Australia’s national team for the 1986 Commonwealth Games after he wrote an article on the topic of “steroid management” for an medical journal.

Millar has denied provided banned steroids or PEDs to any athletes with the St. George Dragons or the Commonwealth Games while he was a team physician. But Millar admitted administering anabolic steroids to numerous clients. As part of a steroid “harm reduction program”, Millar provided medical supervision to approximately 5,000 clients during his medical career.

“I would prescribe these anabolic steroids, monitor you and bring you back when you finished to follow you up to see what happened,” said Millar. “I didn’t have any deaths, no heart problems and I did this for some 20 years. It all depends on what you do with whatever it is. Guns are very dangerous – if you put them up to your head and pull the trigger. But they’re not dangerous if you put them in a drawer.”

Source:
Proszenko, A. (October 28, 2012). Doctor Sanctions Steroids. Retrieved from http://m.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/doctor-sanctions-steroids-20121027-28c9k.html

Harm reduction, yes.
Making them completely allowed in all sports, no.

I got into a huge debate with my Dad about this over the weekend. He's a serious cyclist and xc skier, and compteted for years at the level where doping (EPO, blood transfusions) was present. My position was that of Dr. Millar - that doping should be legal under a Dr.'s care. My Dad's counterpoint was that, yes doping happens, yes most guys at the top do it, but if it becomes legally sanctioned, then all other things being equal (training, genetics etc.), the sport truely does become about who has the best source and the best doctor.

That's kind of where it is now.. It comes down to who has the best Trainers, Physicians, Nutritionists, Sports Psychologists, Physiologists, Therapists, Coaches, Equipment, Support Staff, Logistics etc.. PED's are cost effective at bridging the gap that money creates.. Genetics and training in any sport will separate you from the masses, but they will only get you so far.. And it's in EVERY competitive event across the board not just the default sports/events we automatically think of like BB'ing/weight lifting, cycling, sprinting, football, baseball whatever..

You got everything from beta-blockers like metoprolol used in events that require a steady hand like shooting, archery, golf...Ritallin, adderal, and even Provigil where concentration is required from chess to cramming for finals on college campuses across the country, AAS have even found their way in golf..Really if your one in a million there are almost 7,000 people just like you :) Sure Usain Bolt is gifted, that is no doubt, but I imagine that he didn't get that fast by just runnin around a dirt track at his local elementary school in Jamaica...

A quantitative approach for assessing significant improvements in elite sprint performance: Has IGF-1 entered the arena?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22930482

And Anthony Roberts Article:
http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/igf1-and-sprinting

Lance Armstrong busted his ass off just as much if not more than every other cyclist in the world, no less with or without PED's.. And if every competitor is using them how is that cheating..We place a high value on sport, competiton, maximizing human performance, being the best, fastest, strongest, smartest.. Every sport in the last 20 years needs to have to have an * next to the winners... Damn NASCAR, Motorcross, table tennis, on and on.. Everyone is looking for an edge to tweak out a tenth of a second, or one more pound...

Last edited:
You have a very good point, it pretty much is already there. I guess it's just that last step of open acknowledgement that would change things, more mentally than anything.

yep, the head in the sand attitude... All those athletes doing what they love, busting their asses off to be the best..And the fans, bunch of hypocrites really.. As long as it's hidden away we support and cheer you, but as soon as we find out you "cheated." BS, Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, Barry Bonds and every other BALCO athlete, and so many others were and are pioneers on the edge pushing the envelope of sport/athletics and the human condition.. How many millions of people around the world recently watched Felix Baumgartnder jump out of a friggin baloon... Every thing from crazy idiot fool, to hero..And how many were watching, waiting for his ass to spatter all over the ground if he failed...

Oh and the USPS cycle team had the "biggest, most sophisticated doping operation" at the time....No it was just the biggest one that's been exposed...

Back