• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Playing with GVT

l69lou

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I'm one of these guys who likes to change things up in my training almost constantly . Always forcing my body to adapt ( grow ) to new stress . Also every now and again I really like to shock the muscles with something entirely new to spur a muscle growth spurt . Yesterday I tried German Volume Training , or the ten sets method . You pick one exersise and one weight that you do ten sets with for ten reps with about 90 sec rest in between . The first sets are somewhat easy but as you move to the last 5 sets the pump grows and grows and the last sets are brutal to say the least . I chose arms and you want to use an exersise that recruits alot of muscle i.e. compound exersises . I did BB curls for bi's and a dip machine for triceps . At first I was sceptical after all no going to falure , no forced reps or negatives and I do ten sets per bodypart most days anyway . It's the accumulated pump and failure in the muscle that makes it so intense . I am telling you people this hurts , I had that ice pack working last night and this AM I am in serious pain ! I think this has very good potential . Next workout is legs and to be honest I am scared . The key it seems is to pick the right weight, as you do not change it for any of the sets, and timing the rest period exactly , I took the clock off the wall of my gym and brought it over to my station , lol . You can google it for a better explanation but if you are in a plateau or have stagnated in your gains I would encourage you to give this high intensity technique a try !

Last edited:
I've never been closer to god than the tenth set of 10x10 squats...

I've never been closer to god than the tenth set of 10x10 squats...
That's what I'm saying , I mean I have actual fear about doing legs tomorrow ! And then there's the hams . I think I'll do them first and then use leg presses for quads .

That's what I'm saying , I mean I have actual fear about doing legs tomorrow ! And then there's the hams . I think I'll do them first and then use leg presses for quads .
It IS scary, but when it's done, and you can walk and breathe again you feel like you SURVIVED.

Gvt is fucking awesome! Its helped me put on some serious mass.

Love GVT, whenever I know I will have a few weeks in a row that my gym time is limited I switch to it, gains are great, mental endurance is always tested and you are in and out of the gym... It always tricky getting the weight right to start but my understanding of it is if you pick a weight you fail to get 10 reps on around set 6 and 7 and than can get the full 10 reps for 9 and 10 you are fully optimizing the GVT concept...but even when I can get all 10x10 it kicks my ass

IML Gear Cream!
GVT is an incredible method for building sarcoplasmic hypertrophy aka lots of muscle. I've done it many different ways and have adapted my own versions many times. Like dropping the weight a bit and playing with rest periods from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. 30 seconds is brutal, especially with squats and presses. But one of the most effective ways is to increase rest periods to about 2 minutes but choose a weight that you begin to hit failure before rep 10 in set #5 or 6. Then use the rest /pause method to achieve all 10 reps, then rest for 2 minutes. The next 3 or 4 sets are going to be pure hell but major growth and metabolic adaptations. Btw I don't suggest you do this more then a few times per month with this type of effort. Most simply cannot recover from too much of this. I like to do this with big lifts and use the 30 second method for curls, push downs or Lateral raises but failure should really happen until the last set. This stuff takes trial and error but I suggest starting lighter then you want. I do a lot of power lifting but use this method during hypertrophy phases. I hit a few sets of my primary lift and go on to 10 x 10 for an accessory lift. Simple and so damn effective. I'm actually on a 3 week phase of it right now and love it. Well its actually a love/hate thing. Especially when it's a zercher squat, back squat or RDL's. The pump is incredible though.

Back