• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

New Bench Max Training

kaoticsolja

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So my bench has been steadily increasing as has all my other lifts since I started my cycle...Anyhow I just started band training. I am at a 1 RM at 260, but I feel like I still have a lot more in me. With that said I am focused on form and explosiveness. I am starting with 135 and a blue band from one side of the bar, under the flat bench and on the other side. Doing explosive light weights, I am hoping this will increase my max. Anyone else have some advice or experience with this. Like I said I think I still have more in me for my 1 rep but I am stopping to focus on explosion and muscle flexibility for easier range of motion and to ease the wear on joints and tendons. BTW 5'7 162lbs. Thanks guys. Happy lifting

Go for the smolov jr. program for bench. your bench will jump up minimum 50lbs..

Sweet thanks...I'm definitely going to try this out...awesome buddy big Rep

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

If you are a body builder: F*ck the flat bench. Not worth it at alllllllllll. If you are looking at a strength focus with a strong 3 lift total and can't get around the worst, most outdated exercise of all time here are tips that have helped mine shoot up 250 pounds in first 3 years of training.. 1) Technique, when doing 1RMaxes, the technique you should be using is ALOT different then when you are working in the 8-12 rep range. Suck the elbows in as much as you can, take a slightly narrower grip, and lower the weight to the lower rib cage area while keeping elbows pinched to your sides as tight as possible and locking the shoulder blades in together. Then use the momentum of the weight coming back towards your face from the elastic energy you created from the above technique to get out of the hole.. To work at lockouts: 2) Practice floor presses, or surplus presses, working with your 1RM normally for 3-6 reps. This will allow you to get used to the weight in your hands and engram mid ROM explosiveness. 3) I don't think I have met one guy who has made huge acute bench gains that didn't attribute part of it to Free weight, BB military pressing. MPs help alot with flat bench, almost more than any other accessory. Remember, flat bench strength is NOT chest strength. Very little chest is actually activated when looking at the movement as a whole. There's a lot of delt, tricep, and technique that go into flat bench strength. . When doing your 1rm think of it more like a "throw" instead of a press. Flat is a horrible exercise for overall chest hypertrophy, has little to nothing to do with someone's overall strength, and has a way higher risk to benefit ratio.

However, if you are competing, trying to up a 3 lift total it can't be avoided. A good example of the extreme claims I have made can be found in Pete Rubish. 800+ Deadlift for REPS, 700 pound squat, and can comfortably hit only 365 on flat bench. . I think his 1rm was 405 kicking and screaming. So obviously flat bench has very little to do with someone's overall power and I don't understand why someone always ask how much u bench bra when trying to size you up. For those purposes deadlift will always be king. Sorry for the rant but its the truth mang good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!!!!

If you are a body builder: F*ck the flat bench. Not worth it at alllllllllll. If you are looking at a strength focus with a strong 3 lift total and can't get around the worst, most outdated exercise of all time here are tips that have helped mine shoot up 250 pounds in first 3 years of training.. 1) Technique, when doing 1RMaxes, the technique you should be using is ALOT different then when you are working in the 8-12 rep range. Suck the elbows in as much as you can, take a slightly narrower grip, and lower the weight to the lower rib cage area while keeping elbows pinched to your sides as tight as possible and locking the shoulder blades in together. Then use the momentum of the weight coming back towards your face from the elastic energy you created from the above technique to get out of the hole.. To work at lockouts: 2) Practice floor presses, or surplus presses, working with your 1RM normally for 3-6 reps. This will allow you to get used to the weight in your hands and engram mid ROM explosiveness. 3) I don't think I have met one guy who has made huge acute bench gains that didn't attribute part of it to Free weight, BB military pressing. MPs help alot with flat bench, almost more than any other accessory. Remember, flat bench strength is NOT chest strength. Very little chest is actually activated when looking at the movement as a whole. There's a lot of delt, tricep, and technique that go into flat bench strength. . When doing your 1rm think of it more like a "throw" instead of a press. Flat is a horrible exercise for overall chest hypertrophy, has little to nothing to do with someone's overall strength, and has a way higher risk to benefit ratio.

However, if you are competing, trying to up a 3 lift total it can't be avoided. A good example of the extreme claims I have made can be found in Pete Rubish. 800+ Deadlift for REPS, 700 pound squat, and can comfortably hit only 365 on flat bench. . I think his 1rm was 405 kicking and screaming. So obviously flat bench has very little to do with someone's overall power and I don't understand why someone always ask how much u bench bra when trying to size you up. For those purposes deadlift will always be king. Sorry for the rant but its the truth mang good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!!!!

And this is why my chest sucks :( Only chest exercises I do are flat bb bench and cable flys lol. What have you found to be the best hypertrophy movements for chest?

Sadly it is hard (but possible, like anything) to mix a lot of chest hypertrophy with a focus on increased flat bench strength. There's 3 things to overall chest development. The first being the nice, silverback gorilla, separation from the upper abdomen. This is going to come from decline BB, DB, weighted dips, push up variations. The decline BB is far superior to flat IMO in terms of overall development, shoulder safety, and chest activation. In all these exercises I have always found DB to be king, but I also have a tweaked right rotator cuff (from, you guessed it) which may make me a bit bias. 2nd, overall chest thickness and density. This is where the pec major comes into play, BB/DB incline bench, Incline DB flies, certain push up variations. This part of the chest is what gives the krinkled up shirt in the crease between the two pecs we always love to see, the size from the side, and separation at the top from the collar bone. 3rd, and these usually tie in with pec major as well, is the chest width. How far + thick that chest spills out over the sides of your abdomen and rib cage. This is where fly movements come in. The chest actually is naturally a PULLING muscle. Responsible for bringing the wrists past the belly button. Personally, I always had a nice separation from a ton of push ups as a kid and doing decline and weighted dips every chest workout since day one. So incline DB and incline DB flies always gave me the best results.

I always see people do flies wrong though. It is a PULL, not a press. It is sometimes hard to tell if someone is pushing the weight together or pulling it together, as even though they come out farther than a DB press, they try to go heavy and just do some sort of arched press. Never change the angle of the arm and PULL those bitches together instead of pressing. I only touch cables at the very end for a burn out if I need it. I always advise staying away as much as possible from machines and cables, but since you have some pretty solid numbers already I am sure you know that.

This is just absolutely great info....i am of course somewhere in the middle. ..between BB and weight lifting. ..i suppose I'll go one way or the other sooner or later but for now I like the challenge. ..i like the way you broke it down into the 3 things I want most..depth lift and width. ..i will try more DB as that's better for hypertrophy. ..i usually like cables at the end also...to squeeze the Dickens out of my inner chest....get those "cups" going....thanks for the info mate!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Np man I wish more kids at my gym would read this -_- . DB vs BB when talking about flat or incline is a different story. Usually it's all over the place for what guys get out of each. Some get huge gains off BB, some off DB. Gotta just see what works for you

solid tips for sure! I've never been into declined ever because of myositis ossificans in my right shoulder right in between my rotator cuff. makes the declined movement veryyy difficult..

Back