• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Eating before Workout?

zyaly

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I go to gym 3 times a week, usually at 6-7 p.m. My last meal before that is at 2-3 p.m. Is it ok or should i eat something right before my gym sessions. What is the best period to eat before gym (how many hours before)?
Please advice me. Thanks in advance

Seriously low gi carbs maybe an hour before workout and maybe some simple carbs with protein after. That's what works for me anyway. Sugars pre workout and I crash halfway thru.

I Always have a meal or a shake an hour before gym . Try for a higher carb meal or shake . Carbs are the fuel that gets you through the workout . :winkfinger:

You are going 4 hrs after eating to train . This is too long . It's really too long to go without some kind of meal peroid for that matter . Try to have a light meal with some kind of protein and complex carbs about an hour before training or maybe 1.5 hrs if it's leg or back day . If you can't eat food a shake with about 40g protein , preferably some fast protein lioke whey isolate and carbs about an hour before will do . After 4 hrs your body is going into a catabolic state and breaking down muscle tissue for aminos . To start training in this state is no good and hinders your progress not to mention your training intensity and energy levels . Really you want to eat about every 3 hrs all day if at all possible and if you can't get in solid food again a shake will do .

I always eat pre and post workout.
I think whole food meal would be more ideal pre workout, but since I lift at 6am I'm not doing any cooking so I drink a shake mixed with black coffee on the way to the gym.....fill in other macros to fit your goals - right now I have a serving of almonds with the shake, while carb cycling I was throwing in oats into the shake(piping hot coffee cooks the oats by the time it's ready to drink and goes down great) love the way divine protein flavors the coffee shakes plus I love the extra caffeine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 40-50 Grams of carbs before a workout can do wonders. 2 low-sodium tortillas and cheese microwaved for 15 seconds + a small tangerine or orange mid workout, cant go wrong! Remember to drink lots of water too

I absolutely can't workout on an empty stomach, unless I'm just doing cardio.

Everyone I've known who says they can't go to the gym right after eating is small.

IML Gear Cream!
Have a simple meal an hour pre workout...something high protein low carb mod fats. Low carbs pre workout will spike a natural gh boost for the workout and bring a shake with you for half way through your workout. Shake will have bcaas and carbs and all that intra stuff people like. This will give you a nice spike in insulin and help you finish the workout while also pushing nutrients from the shake into the muscle.

I used to not eat before I went. I was also struggling at 155lbs at that point. Started eating every few hours and made sure to get at least a shake or dates before the gym and now I'm at 180lbs. Diet is key and I never realized it played the biggest role.

brother I cant eat a thing minimum of 2 hours before I hit the weights or it will be all over the gym floor...it has been that way my whole life...just recently though I have been eating some non fat greek your with some granola a half hour or so before the gym and no problems as of yet...thank god

Man. The other day I said fuck it. And ate a whole 16 inch pizza. Hour and a half my buddy calls and says lets go to the gym. Of course its leg day for me. Every set I felt like I was going to puke and cramps were horrible. Moral of the story. Dont eat pizza before leg day

wait what?

Man. The other day I said fuck it. And ate a whole 16 inch pizza. Hour and a half my buddy calls and says lets go to the gym. Of course its leg day for me. Every set I felt like I was going to puke and cramps were horrible. Moral of the story. Dont eat pizza before leg day

wait what?

But the gains

wait what?

I always like to have my weekly cheat meal on my off day, which is one day before doing my leg workout. Feels like it gives me a little extra boost which I seriously need for leg day because I like to kill my legs super hard. Tons of intensity and volume all mixed into one workout. Always the toughest workout of the week. Damn they're fucking growing fast though.

Eating makes me want to nap. I can't eat heavy and lift. I will put a little something in my stomach with my pre-workout but I have to be careful not to overdo it.

I go to gym 3 times a week, usually at 6-7 p.m. My last meal before that is at 2-3 p.m. Is it ok or should i eat something right before my gym sessions. What is the best period to eat before gym (how many hours before)?
Please advice me. Thanks in advance

Depends on how you feel IMO. Before this contest prep I never put thought into timing my meals before. Now being lower carbs I get literally no pump if I don't have a carb meal before my workout and my energy levels are shit (well getting close to show so my energy isn't great anyways). But like I said I would just go off how you feel. Try some different things out and see how you like it.

Back