• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

calves

hamchuck

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
i need some help with training calves .. i feel like they are lagging on me. I just want to know the frequency and rep range people are using? and maybe some different exercises besides the seated calf / standing calf raises. I know genetics are going to play a role but i want that upside down heart or nutsack looking calves asap!!

This is my routine right here. Standing calf raise toes straight 10 slow all the way up followed by 10 fast ones. I will do the same with toes out and in. I like to go heavy on these. Repeat with seated calf raise. 6-8 sets.

I've found mine respond best to just one exercise per week, 6 sets of 12-15 standing calf raises

calves were the one thing I felt like I just couldnt get to grow no matter what I tried until I started using gear. Dunno why.

I do them 2 to 3 times a week depending how sore they are. I just do 5 sets of one exercise and the next day I'll pick another one. Phil Heath said he does 10 sets of one exercise in this manner but trains them every other day. So I just scaled that back to non Olympia level beta intensity. I also try to pause for at least a count at the fully stretched and contracted positions to take momentum out of the movement. I've found this works them harder than bouncing and telling myself I'm hitting the quick twitch fibers and missing half the movement.

edit: but I will do 5 to 10 quick bouncy reps at the end of my set after I've hit failure with a slow and controlled pace. Like partials at the end of a set or a drop set kind of. Not every set but maybe 1 or 2 per day.

I do them 2 to 3 times a week as well. Calves are the hardest muscle group to grow ever. I go as heavy as I possibly can doing 15 to 20 SOLID reps. Try doing calf raises on a smith machine and a stepping block as then you don't have to worry about balancing like a free bb. ATLEAST work up to 2x body weight then do your sitting, raises off the floor with 2.2x body weight, and work the front part of the calves by doing calf presses on a leg press. Remember to try different toe positions as well.

I do them 2 to 3 times a week depending how sore they are. I just do 5 sets of one exercise and the next day I'll pick another one. Phil Heath said he does 10 sets of one exercise in this manner but trains them every other day. So I just scaled that back to non Olympia level beta intensity. I also try to pause for at least a count at the fully stretched and contracted positions to take momentum out of the movement. I've found this works them harder than bouncing and telling myself I'm hitting the quick twitch fibers and missing half the movement.

edit: but I will do 5 to 10 quick bouncy reps at the end of my set after I've hit failure with a slow and controlled pace. Like partials at the end of a set or a drop set kind of. Not every set but maybe 1 or 2 per day.

^ stole my words....

I use to train my 2-3 times a week.. I noticed that I didnt have to blast them, just the consistency was enough..I dont count reps, I lift till complete failure, however my min was 10.. I would easily blast out 14-16 if i was to guess.. I would suggest to add an explosive movement like box jumps, incorp these souly for the reason to help develop and stimulate more growth..Im sure you already know about why this stimulates more growth if someone has a genetic limitation..

My calves actually develop fairly well when I work them about twice a week. But I don't work them on leg day. I usually will work them during my arm day and will squeeze them into a sort of super set, for ex I'll start my straight bar curls and when I finish my first set of curls I'll hit a set of calf exercise, then back to my curls. Alternating between the two.

Standing calf raises twice a week. 4 sets of 15 slow with a pause top and bottom, then one fast to 20. I vary the angle of my toes and the width of my stance. They're growing, but they are one of my weak points for sure.

everything else I ever tried seemed to do nothing.

I use one exercise, (seated one day, standing the next) per day, high volume and moderate weight about 2-3 times a week, my calves never grew until I started burning them out to total failure, little to no rest between sets.

I use one exercise, (seated one day, standing the next) per day, high volume and moderate weight about 2-3 times a week, my calves never grew until I started burning them out to total failure, little to no rest between sets.
This. The short rests are key for me. I time rests between sets to take the "I don't wanna" factor out.

IML Gear Cream!
yes sir^^ think "stretch and contract" A lot!

I train my calves twice a week, usually. On one day I will do the reps slower and concentrate on the contraction and then on the second day I will just try and do a bunch of quick full reps usually about 25 reps both days.

I swap the exercises and routine around about once a month, my calves adapt quickly to what ever I do.

I'm by no means an expert. But what I have found to work best for the few guys I trained is nice and slow.

3 sets of 20 with whatever feels comfortable to lift nothing overly light or heavy just a nice in between. Hold it for 5 seconds at the top contracting the calves. I feel it kinda stretches out the calves gets the blood flowing and warms them up for growth. It will also keep you from having any pain in the Achilles.

Then 5 sets of 4, nice and heavy pausing at the top for 5 seconds then doing a complete negative on the way down. Feel free to throw in some quick sets wherever you feel like. Just try not to bounce because even though its slim strong men will tear the Achillies it's possible and it will hurt and shut you down for a little bit.

My thought process behind this is any fast movement is going to be absorbed alot by the Achilles' tendon. Raising slowly to the top and holding gives the Achillies a chance to disengage (sort of) so your calves can fully take the load of the weight.

Or this might be the dumbest fucking thing you've ever heard and in that case please lemme know so I can pull this down so everyone doesn't laugh at the FNG and treat me like the plague.

If there is one body part that lags behind its usually calves. Most people dont understand that everyone is different and so what works great for you may not work for me. I will not know until I try and see. What you suggest is something I havent done in awhile so I will give it a try for a change and see what happens. Thanks.

I'm gonna try some of these out for 3-4 weeks at a crack thanks for all the input hoping I can get some growth!

I train calves once a week 5 sets standing raises at least 20 reps each then I do seated raises 5 sets at least 15 reps and my calves grow fast, but I've always had thick calves even when I was 140 lbs always had people say wow ur calfs are big, so I think my genetics for my calves are on my side

Back