• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Help please

HAMMER

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I am an old school veteran in lifting. I started lifting in 1982 so I know the evolution of the different styles of lifting. I know nutrition well. I have not lifted seriously for about 12 years, mmm been married for 12 years as well. Wonder if there is a connection...lol I started a business 12 years ago too and was also married to that, just ask my wife. I no longer have that business and have plenty of time on my hands. Now I want to get back to my passion of building a body with proportion and symmetry. So being older now, I have gained weight in places that muscle once occupied. I have about 30 containers of otc supplements sitting on my counter and it dawns on me. Hey dumby learn about other, not so otc sups. So I find this site and from what I see it is golden. What I would like help with from you guys Is your opinion of what I should be taking at 50 year old sitting at 225 and about 25% body fat. I don't care how much I way but I do want to convert my fat back into muscle and get big. I do have a concern with my joints. I know I will want support there too. Any and all help would be sooo appreciated from you members?? I will continue to read sticky and learn as I go but frankly I would like the advice from people who have been there done that. I didn't mean to write a book here, I just know its hard to give advice without having a lil information. Thanks guys!

Healthy diet and cardio to start, throw in some resistance training for good measure.

Healthy diet and cardio to start, throw in some resistance training for good measure.
Thanks bro. I can't do the cardio anymore because of my COPD. I picked up a nasty habit while serving in the military. I have not smoked for about 11 years now, but it still caught up with me. I seem to do ok with circuit training though. That gets my heart rate up real well. I am working on the diet! I am back to the chicken, fish, lean beef and complex carbs. BTW you look good Tommyguns! I'm guessing by your wisdom and from reading some of your post, you are in your 40's? Oh I could use some help in understanding where to post different questions on here in order to get the desired or anticipated responses?? gear questions...

look at doing complexes or supersetting stuff...

anything thats getting your hr up probably will flare up copd as well...so idk what to say there

perhaps an albuterol script to get you through the cardio but idk what a dr would say about that at your age.

just look through all of the forums, theyre aptly named...just read
diet is key, cardio second, lifting third...aas last

Im kinda in love with my current coach at the moment and could give a recomendation there if you feel a bit lost.

i know he got a type 1 diabetic shredded, and a dude with a pacemaker shredded as fuuuuck (the outline of the pacemaker under his paper-thin skin was wild!)

look at doing complexes or supersetting stuff...

anything thats getting your hr up probably will flare up copd as well...so idk what to say there

perhaps an albuterol script to get you through the cardio but idk what a dr would say about that at your age.

just look through all of the forums, theyre aptly named...just read
diet is key, cardio second, lifting third...aas last

Im kinda in love with my current coach at the moment and could give a recomendation there if you feel a bit lost.

i know he got a type 1 diabetic shredded, and a dude with a pacemaker shredded as fuuuuck (the outline of the pacemaker under his paper-thin skin was wild!)
Thanks for the advice. I can do just about any kind of lifting with my copd because I know how to breath properly. Its the running, tennis, racquetball etc. that I have a problem with. I can do it but I have to rest more frequently now. I do have to take hits off my inhaler just like a person with asthma. it sucks but at least I still have the lifting. I will continue to read and yes any type of recommendation you have would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Cardio is tough for me as well, I had a knee replacement 2 years ago and I'm close to having my hip done soon. My dad has copd and do I know how that affects breathing. Do you use Advair? It helps him some. A very good alternative to intense cardio is swimming, raises the heart rate and is very easy on the joints. I prefer circuit training on a stationary bike. Like Sheri said its good because it raises your heart rate and then allows for aerobic recovery in between. You just have to be patient and find something that works for your needs.

BTW I'm 51. Everyone here gives me a hard time about being old, but they're my kids so I gotta love'm.

Find a good doctor who understands your goals. Do bloodwork! Make sure you are healthy enough to be aggressive or if you need less vigorous activities. See if testosterone would help. Albuterol should be discussed. Consider GH for 6 months.

Cardio is tough for me as well, I had a knee replacement 2 years ago and I'm close to having my hip done soon. My dad has copd and do I know how that affects breathing. Do you use Advair? It helps him some. A very good alternative to intense cardio is swimming, raises the heart rate and is very easy on the joints. I prefer circuit training on a stationary bike. Like Sheri said its good because it raises your heart rate and then allows for aerobic recovery in between. You just have to be patient and find something that works for your needs.

BTW I'm 51. Everyone here gives me a hard time about being old, but they're my kids so I gotta love'm.
Well you look real good for 51 my friend. I like the swimming idea! That means I would need to join a third gym though erg! I haven't tried Advair yet I do use Symbicort and Albuterol. It does help if I make myself use it daily. Sorry to hear about your knee and hip. I just had knee surgery (torn meniscus) sucks getting older. If anything in my 50 years of living, I have learned patience. Thanks for the support! From one older gym rat to another, We can do this!!!!

Find a good doctor who understands your goals. Do bloodwork! Make sure you are healthy enough to be aggressive or if you need less vigorous activities. See if testosterone would help. Albuterol should be discussed. Consider GH for 6 months.
Thanks for the responsible advice! I do have a good Dr. and he helps as much as he can being a conservative guy. I am on Albuterol. I unfortunately can not discuss with him my thought on where I want to go with my goals and how I plan on getting there. I think you may understand why? I have done just a little research on GH. as well as test e, and a few others. I still need more information before I can start to make educated decisions. I know I will find all my answers here. I am a responsible fairly intelligent person and I listen to my body. I know what I want to achieve but I will not do it at serious risk to my overall health. I do know I am going to have adverse side effects up the road. I will way out the cost per benefit as I go. I just hope this community with its experience and wisdom will help me stay away from serious trouble. Thanks for your help!

Brother if you are 50ish you deff need labs and to start thinking about trt.

PM me and I'll give you some pointers.

IML Gear Cream!
Just wanted to say welcome to ASF Hammer! Good luck in all your endeavors bro .... listen to Tommygunz, he's been around the block and his knowledge is golden! He'll steer u in the right direction ;-)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thank you Street. I am kicking it with Tommygunz a little bit. He is in my age bracket so I know he has been where I want to go. He seems like a helpful educated guy. Doesn't hurt that he is old school to a certain extent too. I look forward to all of your help and information.

I am not the "wisdom" you are looking for! I would say ^^^^TommyGunz^^^^ hit it on the head. PM him, and work towards getting a script for TRT. It may be all you need. Work with the Dr. for 6 months and see if he gets you started feeling better. Honestly, it may be all you need...... for a while! lol- good luck, and keep us updated!

Thank you so much for your candidness and honesty hightest. I am still learning and talking to Tommygunz. I will get a plan put together eventually lol Ive got nothing but time to put into this.:coffee:

Back