• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

beginner with questions

Rugby7

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I am almost 22 years old im 6 foot 6'1'' amd 180 lbs around 12 %bf. I play rugby and have sense i was 15. I have been working out sense i was 14/15 but have never been able to put on any muscle size. I eat 7 times a day 3800-4200 calories and work out 4 to 5 days a week with routines taken from here and a few other places. what would be a good place to start i want to put on 10 lbs or 15 lbs by the end of summer. I eat great chicken greek yogurt protein shakes wheat bread try to do the best I can at that but still haven't seen results and have be seriously working out for the past 2.5 to 3 years. I my goal something is is due able and what would you guys recomand for me.

Give us an example of a typical days meals.
Example of your training program and how long have you been following the same training program?

Thank you I will go by tomorrow and get that done hopefully will have results within a day then.

wake up eat a banana and drink elite protein shake about two hours later eat a cup of plain greek yogurt with fruit in it for lunch either eat 8 0z or meat and rice. about 2;30 i drink more elite protein and wait till 30 mins before i workout for my pre workout and creatine. after working out i drink my post workout shake and eat canalope later that night eat 8 oz or meat with rice and wheat bread and another carb and before i go to bed try to get in greek yogurt or a form of protein.

work outs
mondays chest
4 sets of 6-8 bench press
3 sets of incline 6-8 reps
3 sets of incline dumbell flys 6-8 times
3 sets cable cross overs
3 sets triceps pushdowns (thumbs on top)
3 sets skull crushers

tuesday
4 sets rows
4 sets pulldowns
4 straight arm pull downs
4 sets barbell curls
4 sets incline barbell curls
4 sets overhead calbe curls

wednesday
abs

thrusday
4 sets shoulder press
4 sets side lat rasie
4 sets front cable raise
4 sets dumbell shurgs
4 sets calf raises
4 sets leg press

friday
4 sets squats
4 sets leg press
4 sets leg extensions
4 sets laying leg curls
and abs

this work out I have been doing for about 4 months

wake up eat a banana and drink elite protein shake about two hours later eat a cup of plain greek yogurt with fruit in it for lunch either eat 8 0z or meat and rice. about 2;30 i drink more elite protein and wait till 30 mins before i workout for my pre workout and creatine. after working out i drink my post workout shake and eat canalope later that night eat 8 oz or meat with rice and wheat bread and another carb and before i go to bed try to get in greek yogurt or a form of protein.

work outs
mondays chest
4 sets of 6-8 bench press
3 sets of incline 6-8 reps
3 sets of incline dumbell flys 6-8 times
3 sets cable cross overs
3 sets triceps pushdowns (thumbs on top)
3 sets skull crushers

tuesday
4 sets rows
4 sets pulldowns
4 straight arm pull downs
4 sets barbell curls
4 sets incline barbell curls
4 sets overhead calbe curls

wednesday
abs

thrusday
4 sets shoulder press
4 sets side lat rasie
4 sets front cable raise
4 sets dumbell shurgs
4 sets calf raises
4 sets leg press

friday
4 sets squats
4 sets leg press
4 sets leg extensions
4 sets laying leg curls
and abs

this work out I have been doing for about 4 months

I don't want to sound critical, or like a jackass, I'm just having a hard time envisioning your sample meal plan equating to 4000 calories. Eat more my brotha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am almost 22 years old im 6 foot 6'1'' amd 180 lbs around 12 %bf. I play rugby and have sense i was 15. I have been working out sense i was 14/15 but have never been able to put on any muscle size. I eat 7 times a day 3800-4200 calories and work out 4 to 5 days a week with routines taken from here and a few other places. what would be a good place to start i want to put on 10 lbs or 15 lbs by the end of summer. I eat great chicken greek yogurt protein shakes wheat bread try to do the best I can at that but still haven't seen results and have be seriously working out for the past 2.5 to 3 years. I my goal something is is due able and what would you guys recomand for me.

500 extra calories a day will add 1 lb of clean muscle a week. Find out what your base calorie burn is and then add calories till you start adding mass

ok what would you add the other calories with carbs more protein or what type of mix would you add try going with a weight mass gaining protein loaded with calories

I agree, my guess at your age and activity with that diet you're not eating enough if you're trying to gain mass.

IML Gear Cream!
ok what would you add the other calories with carbs more protein or what type of mix would you add try going with a weight mass gaining protein loaded with calories

More whole foods brosky. I really enjoy
Oatmeal, sweet potatoes and pasta for carbs. Also, if I find I can't meet macros I try and find caloric dense foods. The only time I use shakes are post workout. Normally a double scoop immediately post workout... I'm just sharing my personal experience, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on your fitness level, but generally you should be taking in 1.5 Grams of protein per pound of body weight. All other calories should be good fats and complex carbs. Only exception is immediately after workout having protein and simple carbs to shuttle in growth to the muscles. Remember this is for CLEAN muscle. If you want pure weight, like an offensive guard for football that needs 60 pounds, that is
different.

thank you guys very much for your tips Im going to be ticked if all along i just needed to eat more to get size

You're pissing away money and protein.

Save the shakes for post workout and eat more solid foods. 2 pounds of meat a day minimum and throw some green vegetables in there.

Warrior

I would agree with Warrior, plus your age and the fact u playing rugby ( high cardio) will keep u burning quick. Up the calories

STAY STRONG

What these guys said. There are some good example diets in the diet and nutrition section. Also I'm a believer that you should change your workout up every 4-8 weeks. Have a progressive workout and change it up when gains start slowing. Just MHO.

thank you guys very much for your tips Im going to be ticked if all along i just needed to eat more to get size
I think it's great you came with an open mind in taking advice from all the vets here. So many young people post here asking questions then shrug off all the advice they get if it doesn't include jumping heads first into piles of gear straightaway. :clapping:

Before weight training became my new hobby I was competitive in a highly aerobic sport like rugby. During that time I weighed 170 pounds and ate over 4, 000 calories a day. Now that I weight train when I eat 4, 000 calories a day my weight is 205.

You want to get bigger? Quit rugby.

I do not want to sound like a smartass but that is a realty.

Thank you guys for the helfpul info on the eating I am looking through the diet section to find a good program that works and changing workouts every 8 weeks would you both change rep numbers, and exercises of what would be the best way to go about doing that, I know that many people say that changing your workouts help keep the muscles confused and they will not get stagnate and grow faster.

These guys got you pointed in the perfect direction. . (Remember everyone's body is different)... one thing I didn't see anything about was your age.. 22yrs old...I've noticed that between myself and other buddys...Most seem to naturally gain more weight (i call it ("man weight/ adult weight)...around 25-27 yrs old... ( that is natural weight)...sounds like u understand how important diet is...and like these guys said.. EAT MORE. ..especially playing a sport that incinerate calories and keeps ur metabolism running high...good luck with your goals bro..!!!

Back