• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Lifting straps vs hooks

your123man

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So im getting really tired of forearm failure ruining my back days. Ive never had straps or hooks, and was wondering what everyone experience is with these. Any suggestions on a good set i should pick up?

Sent using Tapatren, the next gen in aas boarding. Avatar is Bailey Jay...

Lmfao, i am no real man :(

Also, i use a belt...

I've tried hooks once for pullups. Felt awkward. Didn't like it. Never used straps but considering it since I can't do bent over rows for shit. My grip gets fatigued much faster than my muscles.

I use straps on DB back pulls, once it get 100+ and I use them on weighted pullups too

if I was doing lockout Deadlifts use them also that on the power rack

I use straps with my last few lat pull sets and also for shrugs

HahahahhThen she's laughing at me!I use straps for heavy DB rows, yo

that would be the complete oposite of your avitar...:thinking:

I like straps better because I can roll the bar up right to the palm of my hand and still feel like I'm actually still using my hands much better than hooks

Plus, when the hook slides away from your wrist, you will have to open your grip if the hook slides too far down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
Everyone has an opinion so take them for what they're worth. I use straps if they help me target the muscles I'm tryin to hit, nothing wrong with that.

I have always stayed away from straps under the premise that if i can't hold it I shouldn't be lifting it.

sent from an unknown base inside a secret area where the moon landing was filmed.

Everyone has an opinion so take them for what they're worth. I use straps if they help me target the muscles I'm tryin to hit, nothing wrong with that.
There it is ! Back for example , I'm trying to overload the back muscles . I'm not worried about building forearms at that point and anything that will help me overload the target muscle I will use with no apology . Belt , straps whatever . Gasp makes a very good strap . It's thicker than the traditional and lets me really get a hard grip on the bar without biting into my wrist . A friend uses Versa Grips . Very interesting and he swears by them . I was just looking at them on their website but they are $53.00 . Here's something to try . Next time on your heaviest set of barbell curls use lifting straps . Crank em real tight and see if you can't get more reps than without or use more weight .

I've used straps and hooks. I recently switched to a padded strap and like it better. The use of straps does not make you a pussy, weak, soft, a woman, a girl or a sisssy or any other rediculous "insult". USE straps for HEAVY work. otherwise you can't possibly be pushing your big muscles to the max.
CONSIDER, for your edification, you are going to LIMIT? your back workout to ONLY the weight you can pull until forearm failure??
IF so then you will NEVER, EVER, EVER maximize either your back strength nor your size; it's not possible. THe reason is that I don't care HOW strong you make your forearms they will always fail before your heaviest sets of back work, PROVIDED, you are actually going HEAVY for back work.
Arnold used them, Oliva used them (and I still have the black and white mag in which he tells how to use them), Columbu used them and he was a NATIONAL strength champion before he was a Mr. Olympia winner.
DOn't tell me that straps make you weak. Not useing them makes for a PISS POOR back workout.
Of course this is only my and multiple Mr. Olympia. There are many many examples of elite level powerlifters using straps.
NOW, WORK YOUR FOREARMS TOO. HEhe, no, you can't get out of it, work them badboys like they do at westside barbell club.
ronmind's Rolling Thunder
Hex dumbell holds
Various custom grippers to work the fingers in different ways

Myself, I'm old school and still like plate pinching and back side wrist rolls.

Back