• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Is there really such a thing as "muscle memory"?

bigdog78

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I've been out of the gym for about 6 months. Was talking to one of the regulars in there. Explaining that I had lost some muscle mass and strength. " He said no worries, you'll have it back quick do to muscle memory" Just curious what my bros on here think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I believe there is muscle memory associated with strength training and body building.

When you lift you're tearing down the muscle fibers and altering them. I don't think something that profound would simply revert back after time off.

Warrior

That's great news! I was benching 275 for reps. Struggled with 225 yesterday! This sucks! Hard to be patient. I never have been patient anyway. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I dont believe in such thing. If Im off, I get weak, if I kill, i get stronger, thats just it.

If only you'd had the stones to post such a topic in The Pit mate. The fun that could have been had. Granted you'd probably not receive the type of feedback you're seeking. Nonetheless, for posterity's sake chum, do give us a bit of consideration when posting such topics, in the future.

Cheers

I had muscle mammary once. Used letro. I'm ok now

I've found that I get back into my prior weight/rep range more quickly after a layoff than it took me to get there the 1st time.... That is muscle memory to me.

As for muscle mammary - I take as much as I could get - I was a man whore in my youth... If it breathed, it was tagged.

sent from an unknown base inside a secret area where the moon landing was filmed.

No question about it muscle memory is real . When you lay off for whatever reason just like if you wear a cast the muscle will atrophy as the body has no interest in maintaining muscle it does not need . However as you develope the muscle seems to remember that last point and will rebuild that muscle alot faster than getting it originally . I had a 7 yr layoff after being diagnosed with cancer in 2003 . Went I returned to the gym it was just to lose some fat and maybe tone up a bit . To my complete amazement I grew faster and more than I ever dreamed , much faster than it took to get to that point originally . If you talk to other guys who've been at this for some time and I think most will agree there is something to this thinking .

yeah I can definitely get lazy for a few months then return to the gym and get my swole on pretty quick

I would credit it on nervous system mapping more than anything though
when you're a green ass newb trying to learn the lifts it takes quite a bit of time...after w while you can walk into any gym anywhere and just throw your workout together. no learning curve.

No question about it muscle memory is real . When you lay off for whatever reason just like if you wear a cast the muscle will atrophy as the body has no interest in maintaining muscle it does not need . However as you develope the muscle seems to remember that last point and will rebuild that muscle alot faster than getting it originally . I had a 7 yr layoff after being diagnosed with cancer in 2003 . Went I returned to the gym it was just to lose some fat and maybe tone up a bit . To my complete amazement I grew faster and more than I ever dreamed , much faster than it took to get to that point originally . If you talk to other guys who've been at this for some time and I think most will agree there is something to this thinking .
This

yeah I can definitely get lazy for a few months then return to the gym and get my swole on pretty quick

I would credit it on nervous system mapping more than anything though
when you're a green ass newb trying to learn the lifts it takes quite a bit of time...after w while you can walk into any gym anywhere and just throw your workout together. no learning curve.

And this. While the muscle mass supporting the contraction might leave, your nervous system remembers what to do so you make faster gains and recruit more fibers. Its kinda like riding a bike.

Back