• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

chest routine advise

proamas

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys any advice on exercises to thicken the pecs? I alternate EOW with dumbells on flat bench. I seem to be stuck and am looking for a fuller thicker look.

Here is my chest routine:

5 sets flat bench with barbell / EOW 5 sets with Dumbell
4 sets incline dumbell
4 sets decline barbell
4 sets machine fly
4 sets cable crossover
4 sets lower cable crossover

Yes, i alternat every other week on flat bench between barbell and dumbells

What your rep count like with each lift brother?And do you switch that up now and then...GSR could be on to something in that more is not always best. Could try switching rep count up, possibly doing some supersets for a few weeks, even changing the amount of time your actually lifting and lower the DB/bar.

Ok, so here is from my logs of this Monday:

Flat Bench:
Set #1 135 for 20 Warm up
Set #2 185 for 15
Set #2 225 for 12
Set #3 275 for 10
Set #4 315 for 6

Dumbell incline:
Set #1 95 for 8
Set #2 95 for 8
Set #3 95 for 8
Set #4 95 for 8

Barbell Decline:
Set #1 225 for 12
Set #2 225 for 12
Set #3 225 for 12
Set #4 225 for 12

Machine Fly/Cable Crossover/ lower crossover:
All sets of 4 with 10 reps, various weights

Hey guys any advice on exercises to thicken the pecs? I alternate EOW with dumbells on flat bench. I seem to be stuck and am looking for a fuller thicker look.

4 sets incline dumbell
4 sets decline barbell
4 sets machine fly
4 sets cable crossover

Fuck all that to much bro. Stick to the basics for years and grow.

Incline first. Upper chest gives the bodybuilder look.

then heavy flat bench

then a fly or pec dec movement.

if you get bored with the barbell use dumbbells SOMETIMES.

What will grow your chest is HEAVY basic compound movements. If three exercises for your chest is not enough. Work harder.

Ok, so here is from my logs of this Monday:

Flat Bench:
Set #1 135 for 20 Warm up
Set #2 185 for 15
Set #2 225 for 12
Set #3 275 for 10
Set #4 315 for 6

Dumbell incline:
Set #1 95 for 8
Set #2 95 for 8
Set #3 95 for 8
Set #4 95 for 8

Barbell Decline:
Set #1 225 for 12
Set #2 225 for 12
Set #3 225 for 12
Set #4 225 for 12

Machine Fly/Cable Crossover/ lower crossover:
All sets of 4 with 10 reps, various weights

Incline first. When you are fresh.

Fuck decline.

I like to go low reps heavy weight first
And up reps and lower weights as I go to switch it up every now and then I figure y waist energy
And strength going light just hit it hard first

IML Gear Cream!
I'll repeat what the other guys have said: you're doing too many sets.

As others have said compounds are key. I prefer the barbell over dumbbells but will mix it up every six weeks. I always finish my chest routine with pushups. Always a sweet pump before heading home.

too much sets...my biggest improvement was when i pre exhaust with few sets of heavy flyes, machine or dumbells..then do inclines..hammer strength incline really helps in adding size to my chest..

Ok guys thanks for the input. So i wil start by doing heavy sets first then decrease weight as i build sets. trying to keep it to 3 sets max?

Also should i just stick to the basics? i.e.-

Barbell Bench
Incline Bench
Decline bench and flys

Should i cut out the machine flys, and the cable crossovers? Keeping in mind im rebuilding mass.

GsRacer & Deja Vu Thoughts?

4 sets incline dumbell
4 sets decline barbell
4 sets machine fly
4 sets cable crossover

i would do
Warm up
3 sets flat bench with barbell / switch it up monthly
3 sets incline dumbell
3 sets decline barbell
2 sets cable crossover light weight to get a good stretch for 12 but go nice and slow and bring your arms out far
2 sets lower cable crossoverlight weight to get a good stretch for 12 but go nice and slow and bring your arms out far

That is pretty much my chest routine... if your going for size you need to try to keep a good tempo and get really pumped up and stretch the fascia should only take about 40 min tops stay in an 8-10 range its working well for me and the guy that helped me design this routine just got his pro card a few weeks ago so i think he knows what he is taking about

Yeah, cause they didn't do shit for Dorian Yates. Oh wait, yes they did.

Agreed on Dorian. But for the most part people have lower pecs developed way beyond the upper area. So for the most part inclines or the upper area should be worked first.

Agreed on Dorian. But for the most part people have lower pecs developed way beyond the upper area. So for the most part inclines or the upper area should be worked first.

I actually spoke to Dorian at the 2008 Arnold and he said that declines work the entire pec region much better then inclines or flats. He said always do declines every session. Can't argue with the Shadow!!

I actually spoke to Dorian at the 2008 Arnold and he said that declines work the entire pec region much better then inclines or flats. He said always do declines every session. Can't argue with the Shadow!!

Can;'t argue with Mr. Yates. His mind muscle connection has got to be outstanding. Never really considered declines until you posted. Might be a good change.

Research has shown that decline presses with the wide gripan and the standard grip work most if not all regions of the pec.
I usually start with a flat press for 4 sets, then incline press for 4 sets, then decline press for 4 sets and for the last 4 sets, flys. I start a little lite to get blood flowing, then hit it hard and heavy

I used a bench while on vaca in Az. It was a slight incline (30 degrees I think) with seperate handles that you could stack actual weight plates on. It gave me by far the best chest pump I have ever had. I wish they had one in my gym.

Get Shredded!
DejaVu

Id like to see that bench sounds like a pretty cool one.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I will be dropping my total number of sets down to about half, and will start heavy, and decrease weight on last sets.

I agree , cut back the volume. There are many ways to change things up to shock the muscles into new growth : Forced reps, super sets, rest- pause and my fav FST-7. I would use some of these (not all in the same workout). In FST-7 you finish your regular movements and then pick one that isolates the muscle, usually a machine. Pick a weight that you can just get 8-10 reps with. You do 7 sets of this exercise with only 30 seconds rest. In between stretch and sip some fluid, reduce the wieghts so you keep the reps in range. The pump is amazing.Haney Rambod developed this and you can read about it on his site. I know he uses it with Phil Heath .

Definitely looks like alot of volume have tried Dogg crapp training?

As far as pymariding the weight up or down I think that is up to personal preference. I used to start heavy and go down ( after warming up of course) but now I'm going up in weight with consecutive sets. Always remermber in bodybuilding it is not about the weight, it is about working the muscle !!!!! It is safer and gets more blood into the muscle in my opinion.

Research has shown that decline presses with the wide gripan and the standard grip work most if not all regions of the pec.
I usually start with a flat press for 4 sets, then incline press for 4 sets, then decline press for 4 sets and for the last 4 sets, flys. I start a little lite to get blood flowing, then hit it hard and heavy

Does anybody else feel handicapped when hitting the decline? It's almost like throwing with your left hand if you are right handed. Maybe it's just me. But it reminds me of having to rehab a torn ligament. I concentrate, my mind tells me I'm in control of it, but my body doesn't really have total control of it.

Its a hard feeling to explain.

I start very light warm up and stop in the 5 to 6 rep range. The repeat that weight and end with a drop set.

Bar x20
75 x 20
135 x 20
185 x 20
225 x 20
275 x 10 or 12
295 x 8
315 x 5
315 x5 drop set

I start very light warm up and stop in the 5 to 6 rep range. The repeat that weight and end with a drop set.

Bar x20
75 x 20
135 x 20
185 x 20
225 x 20
275 x 10 or 12
295 x 8
315 x 5
315 x5 drop set

Deja Vu, is this just for flat bench or is this all you do on chest day? Because it looks like 9 sets of just flat bench? All just said i was doing to many sets total chest workout at 25? No disrespect;);), just trying to understand your routine a bit more, because im trying to change mine up a bit.

this is my chest workout most of the time.i allso change between db one week and bb the next same exercises just one week is db week and the next week is bb week.has work good for me even thou i hate db they are hard work.but i have a pretty damn good chest so it must be working.

Just wanted to update you all. Thanks for all of the advise. My gains have gone up quite a bit since i lowered my sets.

Back