• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Louisiana governor looks to strip food stamps from abusers

Skip Foursome

Gym Derelict
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
[h=1]After last month’s shopping frenzy, Louisiana governor looks to strip food stamps from abusers[/h]Published November 07, 2013FoxNews.com

• 101413_kelly_walmart_640.jpg

The Louisiana governor's office said Wednesday night that it would strip food stamp benefits from anyone who took advantage of an EBT card malfunction that in some cases caused an all-out shopping frenzy in some stores across the state, The Advocate reported.
It is unclear how many recipients stand in line to lose benefits for a year, but more than 12,000 received an insufficient funds notice when the EBT card system was corrected on Oct.12, the report said.
"We must protect the program for those who receive and use their benefits appropriately according to the law. We are looking at each case individually, addressing those recipients who are suspected of misrepresenting their eligibility for benefits or defrauding the system," Suzy Sonnier, the secretary of state at the Department of Children and Family Services, said in a statement.
external-link.png

The frenzy at some stores was likened to the busiest shopping day of the year. "It was worse than any Black Friday,” Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd told
external-link.png
local station KSLA-TV.
Shelves were picked clean in a mob scene that left employees rattled. Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling told the station the company made a conscious decision to keep ringing up goods rather than to cut people off.
But when order was restored and the cards began reading properly, it became clear that some customers were out to take advantage of the taxpayer-funded program. One woman had $700 worth of merchandise in her cart and an EBT card with a balance of just 49 cents.
Problems involving Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards, the government payments to the poor that are administered by states with the help of private companies, plagued at least 17 states Oct. 10 and 11, creating retail riots. At Louisiana stores in Springhill and Mansfield, cards registered no spending limits, prompting recipients to go on buying binges. Stores, not taxpayers are on the hook for the excess money spent at the locations. It is up to the stores and local prosecutors to determine if charges should be leveled against abusers.
The Advocate's report says that violators will receive a letter about the disqualification along with how to appeal the matter. In the most severe cases, under Federal guidelines, individuals can lose the privilege permanently.
A worker at a soup kitchen in Alexandria said cutting off food stamps from a family would be detrimental. She said most recipients she sees receive a $25-a-month stipend. She was inside a store when the malfunction occurred, and recalled feeling empathy when she saw the individuals, who otherwise could not afford it, stacking up on food.

Once, just this once let there be justice. I want these people that live off our tax dollars to get kicked off of government assistance for stealing and thrown into the streets and forced into working for a living like the rest of us.

Agreed! I can't stand it when I have to pick and choose what I buy and I see people just loading up on steak and shrimp. It should go back to the old food stamps that everyone could see, not the new card system. And drug test all of them!

Once, just this once let there be justice. I want these people that live off our tax dollars to get kicked off of government assistance for stealing and thrown into the streets and forced into working for a living like the rest of us.
with you 100% brother. Oregon is a huge supporter of this shit. pisses me off that i bust my ass 50 hours a week and when i shop my cart is no where near as full as these cheats who live off our tax dollars.

agreed. personally knew someone who was on food stamps in the past and said she couldnt spend it all living in cali. she buys fresh meats and veggies and cooks from scratch. she said she could afford steak and lobster on food stamps n now cannot. and now in cali, u can buy fast foods from what i understand. a friend of mine says he has a couple who spends 500 dollars a mo between them in his pizza shop. note, the person i know went off it when she could and said she felt guilty for taking it, although she needed it at the time. I realize it is needed in some cases, but, m sure most just abuse the system. dont get me started.

Real classy people.But- we see it more and more every single day- is why I spend so much time out of US these days-OD

I say do it but the rich white power group says fuck the poor people they dont wamt to better themselves and we will keep paying there foodstamps just stay in the hoid and leave us,the fuck alone.

Seriously though if they get a felony then I would ban them.Amd,drug test them.

Agreed.

I was raised by a single mom working her ass off. When pops took off she used food stamps.

Now she has a respectable government job.

It works, just don't fucking abuse it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
Agreed.

I was raised by a single mom working her ass off. When pops took off she used food stamps.

Now she has a respectable government job.

It works, just don't fucking abuse it

Absolutely!

It is a safety net, not a way of life. Props to mom for digging her way out of a hole and being a productive citizen.

One of the problems with public assistance is the lack incentive to try to end it. I think a set time limit to start would help and I agree that drug testing is a must. Piss in a bottle in front of the person handing you the stamps would be a fair trade. Do that for six months and maybe you will think about getting a job.

This just fucking pissed me off, good fuel for the gym though. I know people that get food stamps that work their asses off but dont make enough to support their families but shit their sure as hell trying. I know other people that dont do jack shit sit around smoking cige crack and drinking booze adl and bitch about the goverment not giving them enough money and all that. Makes me so damn mad.

Yeah man. Public assistance pisses me off in general lol..

It needs to be means tested heavily like all handout/redistribution programs. I just cause you're unemployed but had a $300k a year job doesn't mean you earned that benefit when the family making $30k working at Walmart needs it 10x more. It's deplorable system, it needs to change. Outright cutting of a won't solve shit, abusers and the wealthy, I'm game for that being cut.

Back