• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

NSA proof email provider on the horizon

colochine

Registered
Reaction score
How safe is wickr?
Seems really solid. If anything the weakness isn't the tech it's the user. For instance, setting a high auto-delete duration which increases the chance of someone reading a message or enabling auto-login so you don't have to type your pwd.

finally...my cock pics will be safe

i have wickr.

im just curious, something i think about alot, you watch the news and i have a few friends who work in all this tech stuff and they all have said if you think the info your punching in your phone or PC cant be retrieved after its been deleted or in one of these apps, they sad im sadly mistaken. im very skeptical about tech stuff, for a very good reason. just thoughts on this guys:coffee:

i have wickr.

im just curious, something i think about alot, you watch the news and i have a few friends who work in all this tech stuff and they all have said if you think the info your punching in your phone or PC cant be retrieved after its been deleted or in one of these apps, they sad im sadly mistaken. im very skeptical about tech stuff, for a very good reason. just thoughts on this guys:coffee:

true in almost every case. In fact, in some cases you don't even need access to a PC or the network to read data and just need to be within 20 feet. :) I could go on and on about this...

That said, as far as I can tell, short of choosing a bad password, disabling password on login, setting a long time period for the app to prompt for password, etc. there is no reasonable way to get Wickr data without Apple putting secret hooks into the operating system to read memory or capture your screen. I don't think those are reasonable.

i have wickr.

youre right, nothing is EVER deleted off the Internet. Once it's there it is always accessible by those who know how to access it. Private emails and shit like that are much safer than normal ones, but think of it like this... If someone was able to create that, than if the nsa or government or whoever really wanted to; they could find someone to figure out encryptions and get into private emails... All you can do is be as safe as possible, but you're never completely safe on the internet

Get Shredded!
i guess what im more concerned about is this, i was watching a few weeks back a show, forget which one, but it was a about kids and cell phones and how they have these apps like snap chat or whatever that self destruct, and how these pedophiles prey on these kids. they had detectives from the LA police dept cyber unit who said they have the ability to retrieve these messages well after they self destruct, they have done it in convicting some of these guys already they claim. they said many larger cities have these teams in place and the goverment as well. technology is great but LE is well funded and ya they may be a slight step behind the criminals, but not much. i just dont feel very comfortable thinking anything you put in these apps is gone forever, thats just my opinion tho.

It's a little hard to say with Wickr since they haven't made the code open source. Supposedly Wickr does not leave behind unencrypted temporary data on your phone unlike, say, Snapchat or your typical internet browser or email client.

The idea with Wickr is that messages are decrypted only as they're about to be rendered on your screen. All temp data is in memory as opposed to files except perhaps in the case of the messages that have been just been decrypted and which are pending expiration. After expiration, these temp files are destroyed by rewriting over the place where they used to be stored as opposed to simply "deleting" a file which actually does nothing to the file itself but rather just removes the file from an index of available files. Basically, it's the difference between removing a reference to a page in the index of a book versus furiously erasing the page with an eraser and then scribbling nonsense on the page.

It would be shocking if any local LE somehow broke Wickr without guessing a password because it would require extraordinary resources. When it comes down to it it's all about the cost of investigation.

Back