• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

INVITING: Writeups on lifting programs!

RAINier

Super Mod McBain
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
We'd like to invite short thread posts on lifting programs. The focus will be on helping beginners/people who lift but haven't done routines, but we'll have some for those of us who've been lifting for a while and want to change it up.

Only a paragraph or so with any info you want to put. The only minimum is:
-A basic week's layout.
-Links to look at
-Who the program is good for (e.g. beginners, experienced lifters looking to increase strength, etc.).

Optional:
-More info/what it's been like for you and those who do it is always great
-Type of diet that goes well with the program
-How long it should/can be run
-And the guide can always grow in the future (PM me if you want to edit more stuff into it and I'll make it happen)

>Make a thread with some info on one of these programs and we'll get it stickied :winkfinger:<

Make a post in this thread if you're familiar with a particular program (or have suggestions of programs we should have info on).

Starting Strength (+Stronglifts): Rainier
Greyskull LP: ?
Westside for Skinny Bastards: ?
Doggcrapp: ?
German Volume Training (GVT): GSRacer
PHAT: ?
5/3/1: ?
Smolov Jr.: McDouche
Making your Own Routine (Beginner): Goatfishtwo

Last edited:
We'd like to invite short thread posts on lifting programs (Starting strength, 5/3/1, Doggcrapp, PHAT, whatever else you guys do/have done).

Only a paragraph or so with any info you want to put, with a basic week's layout.
Lots of links to look at would be nice, as well as info on who the program is good for.

And the guide can always grow in the future (PM me if you want to edit more stuff into your post and I'll make it happen)

Make a thread with some info on your favorite program and we'll get it stickied :winkfinger:

Post below if you're very familiar with a particular program.

I'd like to think I had something to do with this. :D

Yessir you did. We also want to bring more people to the site!

Modified the first post a little.

German Volume Training:

Whenever my regular routine stops making my muscles sore, and my gains start to level off, I have never found a better routine than German Volume Training to break past this plateau. German Volume Training focuses on a high number to sets on one specific exercise, with the number of reps staying around 10 for every set. This routine is probably not the best if you are looking for muscular definition, but it will certainly help you put on mass. The goal is to do 1-2 exercises per workout, and the weight stays contant, and you shoot for 10 reps on EVERY set. Just be prepared to: do 3-4 workouts per week, be at the gym for ~2 hrs. per workout, and to be very, very sore. I highly recommend bringing a whey protein shake and a banana (or other fruit of choice) with you to each workout if you venture down this road.

Here is what a typical rotation looks like for me:

Day 1: Chest

Flat Bench @ 205 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set (although I am usually around 7 by the last set, and this is OK - this applies to all exercises for all muscle groups)
Incline Dumbbell Press @ 80 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 2: Back

Free-weight T-bar row @ 160 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Bent over Barbell rows @ 185 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 3: Legs (this is by far the hardest and longest day)

Squats @ 275 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Barbell Lunges @ 135 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps

Day 4: Shoulders

Standing overhead barbell press @ 125 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Lateral raises @40 lbs/dumbell - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

If you can do this for 3-4 weeks, and then return to your normal routine, you will smash through any plateau you have hit, and the mass will pile on. Results are greatly enhanced by eating like a 400lb fat man, sleeping 10 hrs/night, and not partying.

For more info on GVT, and how my personal preferences differ from others, check out:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/german-volume-training-for-shocking-muscle-growth.html

http://germanvolumetraining.info/

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/t...olume-training-gvt-why-does-work-so-well.html

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3159/articles/german-volume-training

GSRacer

Last edited:
German Volume Training:

Whenever my regular routine stops making my muscles sore, and my gains start to level off, I have never found a better routine than German Volume Training to break past this plateau. German Volume Training focuses on a high number to sets on one specific exercise, with the number of reps staying around 10 for every set. This routine is probably not the best if you are looking for muscular definition, but it will certainly help you put on mass. The goal is to do 1-2 exercises per workout, and the weight stays contant, and you shoot for 10 reps on EVERY set. Just be prepared to: do 3-4 workouts per week, be at the gym for ~2 hrs. per workout, and to be very, very sore. I highly recommend bringing a whey protein shake and a banana (or other fruit of choice) with you to each workout if you venture down this road.

Here is what a typical rotation looks like for me:

Day 1: Chest

Flat Bench @ 205 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set (although I am usually around 7 by the last set, and this is OK - this applies to all exercises for all muscle groups)
Incline Dumbbell Press @ 80 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 2: Back

Free-weight T-bar row @ 160 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Bent over Barbell rows @ 185 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 3: Legs (this is by far the hardest and longest day)

Squats @ 275 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Barbell Lunges @ 135 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps

Day 4: Shoulders

Standing overhead barbell press @ 125 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Lateral raises @40 lbs/dumbell - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

If you can do this for 3-4 weeks, and then return to your normal routine, you will smash through any plateau you have hit, and the mass will pile on. Results are greatly enhanced by eating like a 400lb fat man, sleeping 10 hrs/night, and not partying.

For more info on GVT, and how my personal preferences differ from others, check out:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/german-volume-training-for-shocking-muscle-growth.html

http://germanvolumetraining.info/

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/t...olume-training-gvt-why-does-work-so-well.html

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3159/articles/german-volume-training

GSRacer
Excellent!
Make a new thread and I'll sticky it! Add maybe put in there who GVT is best for (e.g. not beginners)?

Spot reserved: Making your own routine..

(Saving this post for tomorrow when I'm not dead tired.. will be posting in the early afternoon)
That is not to say someone else can't post information on this I'm simply saving this specific spot for the information I will put together in this spot tomorrow.

Spot reserved: Making your own routine..

(Saving this post for tomorrow when I'm not dead tired.. will be posting in the early afternoon)
That is not to say someone else can't post information on this I'm simply saving this specific spot for the information I will put together in this spot tomorrow.
I believe the edit window for posts is 10 minutes unless you have mod permissions. I can edit them though if you PM me, and if you make a thread, I can always edit in updates and such you may have.

What kind of routine are you going to provide guidance on making? Strength/bodybuilding/recomp? Periodization? I'm curious to find out what you're going to recommend...

IML Gear Cream!
I believe the edit window for posts is 10 minutes unless you have mod permissions. I can edit them though if you PM me, and if you make a thread, I can always edit in updates and such you may have.

What kind of routine are you going to provide guidance on making? Strength/bodybuilding/recomp? Periodization? I'm curious to find out what you're going to recommend...

God dammit I keep forgetting that..
Its going to be geared toward bodybuilding.

Hey brother, congrats on the new position! I've heard many good things about Exopharm, and you'll be a huge asset for them. :winkfinger:
I just saw this. Thank you GS. I appreciate the congrats and the kind words.

Hey brah I've got experience with DC and ran 5 3 1 for nine months. I will see what I can throw together. I assume the programs in green are still unspoken for?

I wouldn't mind doing 5/3/1 or Smolov Jr. (I never quite finish the regular Smolov, so I wouldn't feel right writing about that)

Hey brah I've got experience with DC and ran 5 3 1 for nine months. I will see what I can throw together. I assume the programs in green are still unspoken for?
Could you go ahead and post it? PM me and I'll give them a quick proofread/spell-check and they'll be officially stickied :)
I wouldn't mind doing 5/3/1 or Smolov Jr. (I never quite finish the regular Smolov, so I wouldn't feel right writing about that)
I saw it! I'll PM you some recommendations, let me know and I'll edit them in! Congratulations, it's stickied now :)

Last edited:
i think im plateuing.this looks interesting def gonna give it a whirl hopefully it breaks me outta this slump i am in

Routine for progress:

Never train to the point of muscular failure. "stimulate, don't annihilate" -Lee Haney. Always leave some gas left in the tank on every set

Focus on squeezing the target muscle. Two types of reps: rhythmic and mechanical. Watch a guy like Victor Martinez to see what rhythmic means (sort of like pulsating). But the more important type is the mechanical, where you do the eccentric phase(negative, lengthening, lowering) very slowly and smoothly (6seconds is good) and do the Concentric phase (positive,shortening/contracting/flexing) very powerfully and forcefully and quickly while controlled. SQUEEEEEEEEEZE the muscle every rep.

Mix of rep ranges but Majority between five and 12. 3-5 days per week in the gym is plenty.

Do what works for you but try to stick to the basics. Heavy compound movements are not only essential for size, posture, and functional strength, they also help build more round and shapely muscles when performed correctly.

Rest at least 2 to 3 minutes preferably 5 to 10 minutes in between each set.

FLEX!!! flex flex flex your muscles.

Should be 5-10 days between hitting muscle groups again but light weight active recovery workouts can be placed in between.

PERIODIZE!!!!!!! Nothing works forever, everything works sometimes.

Slow, tiny gradual increases in weight over time. Start with a weight you can get 5 reps easy and stick with that weight till 12 reps is too easy. Then bump up in weight to something you can only get 5 reps easy. Stick with that till you get 12 reps too easy. Repeat.

EAT!! Healthy stuff but also real high calorie stuff (on occasion). Your body can't feel starved or sick but it can't feel overloaded or micromanaged either.

STRETCH!!!!!! For aesthetics and posture at least.

Someone should do 5 3 1 and phat. I'll do a write up on phat but I've always modified it to my needs.

So I would like to see a more experienced and knowledgeable member write on behalf these two programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
Too bad this thread died. It was a cool idea.
I will have to come back here later when I have time to post up
..meanwhile hopefully I revived this enough to get some of you guys posting here.

Whippedeye
Puritysourcelabs.ru rep

Visit puritysourcelabs.ru or PM me. Thanks!

Monte, you should do a quick write up on muscle rounds and your custom fortitude style training method...I did muscle rounds on my chest and triceps today. Felt awesome..

Back