• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Powerlifting Stretches

BlueJayMuscle

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What do you guys do for pre-back or leg workout stretches??

My right lower back has been KILLING me (not back pumps) and I dont think I'm stretching enough preworkout.
Dynamic mobility stretches are the best from what Ive read and I want to incorporate more foam rolling and hip flexor +hamstring dynamic stretches

Just curious which ones you guys do

I have a similar issue with my lower back. My problem is my adductors on my left leg are tight and cause the right QL to tighten up. If I spend some time stretching my hamstrings and adductors, especially my left leg, I don't experience one sided pain like that.

I am not a big fan of stretching or foam rolling preworkout. I've had a lot of issues, all of that was really just a crutch.

To be proficient at the powerlifts, you need the mobility required +1 level of mobility. For powerlifting, I've found this means being able to do RFE Split squats and Single leg deadlifts and/or Stiff leg deadlifts. Those movements for higher reps (6+) combined with ART work has been the key to success in maintaining healthy legs/hips/back for powerlifting. I love RFE Split squats (w/ a barbell because I do these pretty heavy) to balance out all of the muscles in the hips. In terms of health, I probably get more out of doing sets of 10. If there is a weakness in the hips causing tightness, this will find it. The bag leg works more than you think with these, and so I like them also because it strengthens the hip flexors of the back leg through a stretched ranged of motion.

I prefer SLDLs over Single leg Deadlifts when I feel my hamstrings are tight, but I'm mostly OK. I prefer single leg deadlifts when I am all kinds of beat up and my core is a mess.

Stiff legs are the only one I would do within 8 weeks of a meet. These three movements are the key to my off-season training.

I have a similar issue with my lower back. My problem is my adductors on my left leg are tight and cause the right QL to tighten up. If I spend some time stretching my hamstrings and adductors, especially my left leg, I don't experience one sided pain like that.
Hit the nail on the head here. The area that hurts is rarely caused by the muscle, its usually caused by another muscle being tight and causing the hurt muscle to compensate.

This is why ART work by someone smarter than you (and me) is so important.

Interesting. Solid advice here

I am not a big fan of stretching or foam rolling preworkout. I've had a lot of issues, all of that was really just a crutch.

To be proficient at the powerlifts, you need the mobility required +1 level of mobility. For powerlifting, I've found this means being able to do RFE Split squats and Single leg deadlifts and/or Stiff leg deadlifts. Those movements for higher reps (6+) combined with ART work has been the key to success in maintaining healthy legs/hips/back for powerlifting. I love RFE Split squats (w/ a barbell because I do these pretty heavy) to balance out all of the muscles in the hips. In terms of health, I probably get more out of doing sets of 10. If there is a weakness in the hips causing tightness, this will find it. The bag leg works more than you think with these, and so I like them also because it strengthens the hip flexors of the back leg through a stretched ranged of motion.

I prefer SLDLs over Single leg Deadlifts when I feel my hamstrings are tight, but I'm mostly OK. I prefer single leg deadlifts when I am all kinds of beat up and my core is a mess.

Stiff legs are the only one I would do within 8 weeks of a meet. These three movements are the key to my off-season training.

Adding to the mutual admiration society here, I agree with what McDouche says here. I found once I started doing soley PowerLifting workouts geared towards getting my lift number up, I HAD TO work certain groups to balance myself. BB workouts CAN (doesn't have to) lead to over training certain areas over another because we're concerned with the aesthetics instead of ability to do work. To perform a good strong deadlift or squat or bench you need all the required muscles to be able to handle their share of the load. Doing the PL'ing workouts showed me my weaknesses and what I had to focus on to get better and more well rounded. I have more work to do, but most of my 'ailments' of the past are gone simply by me dedicating myself to doing balanced work.

Back