PDA

View Full Version : TRT....does your insurance cover it?

SoCalJC
10-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I currently don't have health insurance for a couple of reasons. But I have a chance to opt-in at work next month. I haven't had health insurance in 4 years. The crooks at Blue Shield wouldn't cover my ambulance trip nor hospital visit when I crashed my motorcycle at the racetrack and broke my collarbone.
$5k out of pocket. Eff them!

Anyway, I digress!

I was thinking about getting on TRT. In my late 20's I went to my doc and he said I had low T. My insurance didn't cover it, and I wasn't about to fork out $300/month. At the time I didn't lift, work out, and obviously wasn't into AAS. So now that I read some of you guys are covered by your insurance, I'm like WTF! Damn it Blue Shield I hate you fuckers!

So If I do get insurance through work, I guess I need to find out if TRT is covered.

Is there a trick to getting it covered by insurance? Do I need to find a cool doc who will hook me up?

nby
10-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Only your insurance can tell you. I've read a few where they got covered and most that don't.

Snake Plisken
10-11-2013, 05:25 AM
First, you have to find a doctor who agrees with that treatment. Although it is getting much more popular, there are still MD's out there who won't do it. Call a potential doctor's office and just ask if they offer HRT if you are diagnosed with low test. Can't answer the insurance question for sure, but if you doctor deems the treatment to be a "medical necessity," it would be harder for insurance carriers to deny it.

Skip Foursome
10-11-2013, 05:55 AM
I know what you are going through regarding 5K in bills and medical insurance not covering any of it.

I am guessing why your insurance did not cover the accident is because you had catastrophic insurance that does not kick in until you have 5K or higher expenses for the entire year.

If you want insurance to cover TRT it has to be a very expensive plan for your employer to provide you. My guess is it will be more of a minimalist plan that will provide basic coverage health coverage and TRT would be outside of what your employer is willing to provide.

After I looked into TRT I decided to educate myself, use lab work along with quality gear and I can self medicate way better than spending a ton of money on an Endo that will prescribe Andro Gel or any other garbage big Pharma are pushing on us which is a worthless product-IMO

SoCalJC
10-11-2013, 07:17 AM
I know what you are going through regarding 5K in bills and medical insurance not covering any of it.

I am guessing why your insurance did not cover the accident is because you had catastrophic insurance that does not kick in until you have 5K or higher expenses for the entire year.

If you want insurance to cover TRT it has to be a very expensive plan for your employer to provide you. My guess is it will be more of a minimalist plan that will provide basic coverage health coverage and TRT would be outside of what your employer is willing to provide.

After I looked into TRT I decided to educate myself, use lab work along with quality gear and I can self medicate way better than spending a ton of money on an Endo that will prescribe Andro Gel or any other garbage big Pharma are pushing on us which is a worthless product-IMO

BINGO!

I'm going to really scrutinize the insurance options thru work. Chances are I will once again pass on shitty coverage.

mours2
10-11-2013, 07:31 AM
My insurance covers my trt to an extent. They will cover test c, exemestane for ai but not hcg. Hcg is considered a fertility drug.

l69lou
10-11-2013, 08:13 AM
My insurance has always covered my HRT . Really the trick is to find a Doc who will let you do the injections at home .That way all he is doing is labs twice per year to check your levels and prostrate and writting the script for the test . This is the only sustainable way to do HRT with a doctor. To pay a doctor to inject you every week or two for the rest of your life is insane . So now you have to check your prescription ins . to see if they cover the test . If they do and your doc lets you do the injections HRT is very affordable and very worth it . We could all do this ourselves but it is preferable to have a doctors supervision not to mention acess to script test ! It shouldn't be too hard to find a doctor to accomodate you but ins. is always another matter and is subject to your specific policy .

Skip Foursome
10-11-2013, 08:26 AM
My insurance has always covered my HRT . Really the trick is to find a Doc who will let you do the injections at home .That way all he is doing is labs twice per year to check your levels and prostrate and writting the script for the test . This is the only sustainable way to do HRT with a doctor. To pay a doctor to inject you every week or two for the rest of your life is insane . So now you have to check your prescription ins . to see if they cover the test . If they do and your doc lets you do the injections HRT is very affordable and very worth it . We could all do this ourselves but it is preferable to have a doctors supervision not to mention acess to script test ! It shouldn't be too hard to find a doctor to accomodate you but ins. is always another matter and is subject to your specific policy .

This is great if you can find insurance and doctor that are willing to do this and is definitely the way to go if you can.

My insurance will have nothing to do with TRT and doctors I talked to were not willing to let me administer my shots. This could be a regional thing :thinking:

tims03redifre
10-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Self Inject at the house, however my Insurance Plan with BCBS does NOT cover my Test E or Letro. My Test E is only $78 per 10ml bottle....so not bad.

bigt405
11-06-2013, 10:02 AM
BCBS has covered mine for almost a decade. I was originally on the patch but they quit covering them so I moved to test cyp and have not had any problems since.

bigt405
11-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Self Inject at the house, however my Insurance Plan with BCBS does NOT cover my Test E or Letro. My Test E is only $78 per 10ml bottle....so not bad.
You ever look at the site goodrx they can save you some on your script if you do not have insurance.

ordawg1
11-06-2013, 02:51 PM
My insuranse covers most of my TRT-but at times I forget and just pay cash. Is super cheap so not an issue for me-Luck-OD

NoBark
11-06-2013, 04:31 PM
As mentioned up above, my insurance covers all my TRT needs except HCG. My vials of Watson Test C are $10 every few months and the same price for my Arimidex.

richiegunz70
11-06-2013, 05:37 PM
my doc prescribed me 2.5ccs a week and I get one bottle of test cyp and one bottle of test enathate for no cost what so ever.When I'm about to run out I make an appiontment to see him again and get my scripts.

ordawg1
11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
my doc prescribed me 2.5ccs a week and I get one bottle of test cyp and one bottle of test enathate for no cost what so ever.When I'm about to run out I make an appiontment to see him again and get my scripts.

2.5 ccs ?? per week ? -OD

richiegunz70
11-07-2013, 10:35 AM
per week

bigt405
11-07-2013, 11:07 AM
per week

That one hell of a trt dose ;)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

richiegunz70
11-07-2013, 03:31 PM
yes it is one hell of a trt dose but he does my blood work and Check ups to make sure I'm good.Hes actually an HIV doctor but he sees a lot of bodybuilders and even has pictures of them around the office.

ironwill
11-07-2013, 05:04 PM
BCBS covers mine $4.50 to fill my 6 month script

Wiseguy
11-21-2013, 11:01 AM
I've been seeing the same Dr. for the past 20 years. I was feeling down, tired and low libido and asked him to check my T levels during a regular check up. He did and it was 245. He recommended TRT and insurance agreed. I guess it might depend on the Dr. Low T does cause other medical conditions and I am sure the insurance companies don't like you to them.

j2048b
11-24-2013, 09:13 PM
I had no prob asking my doc, BUT i had to explain to him i had been w a clinic previously and wanted script due to costs, but my blood work will either make him cry or give me a blood draw script hope its the script

Sent from my iPP using Tapatrash

j2048b
11-24-2013, 09:14 PM
I currently don't have health insurance for a couple of reasons. But I have a chance to opt-in at work next month. I haven't had health insurance in 4 years. The crooks at Blue Shield wouldn't cover my ambulance trip nor hospital visit when I crashed my motorcycle at the racetrack and broke my collarbone.
$5k out of pocket. Eff them!

Anyway, I digress!

I was thinking about getting on TRT. In my late 20's I went to my doc and he said I had low T. My insurance didn't cover it, and I wasn't about to fork out $300/month. At the time I didn't lift, work out, and obviously wasn't into AAS. So now that I read some of you guys are covered by your insurance, I'm like WTF! Damn it Blue Shield I hate you fuckers!

So If I do get insurance through work, I guess I need to find out if TRT is covered.

Is there a trick to getting it covered by insurance? Do I need to find a cool doc who will hook me up?

What blue cross plan is it?

SoCalJC
11-25-2013, 03:33 AM
What blue cross plan is it?

Don't recall. This was several years ago. The plans have all changed by now.

I just signed up for insurance through work. Even though I don't know for sure if they will cover TRT, I figure I needed to have some coverage just in case of emergencies. When I broke my hand a couple of months ago it dawned on me that I'm not invincible. LOL. Fucking Tren makes me feel that way sometimes.

Kyoshkin
11-25-2013, 03:51 AM
I'd love to hear how someone got TRT covered under a normal health plan... Well, if you're nat T is in the 0-100 range, I guess they'd have to do something.. which would prolly be give you that AndroGel crap... but real TRT? INsurance companies can't afford those $10 vials of Test C, man.

bigt405
11-25-2013, 04:59 AM
I'd love to hear how someone got TRT covered under a normal health plan... Well, if you're nat T is in the 0-100 range, I guess they'd have to do something.. which would prolly be give you that AndroGel crap... but real TRT? INsurance companies can't afford those $10 vials of Test C, man.
I went about ten years ago to my doctor because I was feeling like crap. My blood work came back and my test was 87....bingo been on trt ever since. BCBS covered Androderm patches till last year now on test cyp and my vial cost me a whopping $6 :)

Kyoshkin
11-25-2013, 05:03 AM
I went about ten years ago to my doctor because I was feeling like crap. My blood work came back and my test was 87....bingo been on trt ever since. BCBS covered Androderm patches till last year now on test cyp and my vial cost me a whopping $6 :)

Your test came back at 87?! Holy fuckballs - did you go through reverse puberty where your balls ascended? That must have SUCKED!

Glad you're back on the mend, though!

bigt405
11-25-2013, 05:46 AM
It definitely sucked! Funny thing was at 318 lbs I was strong as an ox, but had no energy and did not give a rats ass about anything!

Ooncaboo
11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
If your general doctor prescribes trt then it's covered. Most general docs are not going to allow the high levels a trt anti aging doc will. It's frustrating

bigt405
11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
If your general doctor prescribes trt then it's covered. Most general docs are not going to allow the high levels a trt anti aging doc will. It's frustrating

And that is where blasting and cruising comes into play.....

tapuout2
12-04-2013, 07:25 AM
This is true for me just picked up a bottle of Watson Cyp. from CVS, and did not pay a dime for it. He has me on 200mg a week to start. Total t was 132. Still have to go in and have them stick me. I hope I can convince him to let me self administer.

Skip Foursome
12-04-2013, 07:39 AM

I'm with you...I don't get it.

Every friggin endo in my area wants to peddle that gel shit on me which is complete garbage and a ton of money. All I want is some Watson Test-Cyp for $18 at Costco and call it good!

Wiseguy
12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Depends on insurance and Dr. Doctors generally love to push the gel and not so much the injections. Just as a point of reference the cost of Androgel 30 day supply without insurance is $670 for 70mg a week. Obviously this is price gouging by pharma.

Skip Foursome
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Depends on insurance and Dr. Doctors generally love to push the gel and not so much the injections. Just as a point of reference the cost of Androgel 30 day supply without insurance is $670 for 70mg a week. Obviously this is price gouging by pharma.

Of course!

Why get test-Cyp for only $18 when you can gouge guys for $670 for that fucked up Androgel? BTW, skin absorption is the least effective way to administer testosterone.

Androgel is a pig pharma's wet dream with the FDA sucking their collective cawks at every chance they get.

Wiseguy
12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Funny thing is how much of the 70mg actually absorbed? So you do your tests and they recommend increasing dosage meaning more money. Not to mention kids, wife, girlfriend can touch your shoulders.

domino
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
My insurance will cover it - my test costs 20 bucks and aromasin is 5 bucks. The trick to it is to get your doc to get a per-authorization from the insurance company.

NTL
12-10-2013, 12:53 PM
My insurance covers it but I prefer to run ugl so I can blast and cruise at my discretion.

bigdog78
12-28-2013, 06:21 AM

I went to my doctor asked about hrt. He ordered blood work and promised he would call me with the results. I never heard a thing!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

j2048b
12-28-2013, 07:33 AM
I went to my doctor asked about hrt. He ordered blood work and promised he would call me with the results. I never heard a thing!!!

U have to follow up, they get busy and its really up to u to prove to him u have the symptoms even if ur t levels arnt completely crashed as some want

bigdog78
12-29-2013, 09:55 AM
In the process now. Just want to be to aggressive and piss them off.

j2048b
01-05-2014, 09:59 AM
The way i got my local doc onboard with insurance was like this:

I studied the symptoms of low T, did an analysis on what i was feeling associated with my current diet/lifestyle, which has always leaned towards bodybuilding or at least staying healthy,

Next i chose a trt clinic that i had found, became a client, ordered my first set if meds (and yeah its not really cheap but for what they do for u it is worth everypenny!)

Once i had established myself with them and had been on self injection of both test and hcg for a few years i then sought out a local doc!

My buddy referred me to someone he knew and upon my first visit he said well i think ur depressed, to which i laughed, explained to him my life and family and what i had achieved and told him my symtpoms went away once on trt, then he said well since uve been on it with them lets give it a go!

Most people NEED a basic foundation dealing with either another doc who understands trt or with a clinic who is willing to help.... Once this foundation is established most decent docs will not turn u away...

So in all it may take a bit of time and money in order to finally get to the place where a local gp will finally say hey lets do this then!

I know of a couple trt clinics who are pretty decently priced, my advice to anyone trying to find a doc is to first establish that foundation showing that trt has taken away those issues at hand, so that once that doc is found then uve already been on trt for at least 6 months to 1 year an its very very hard for them to turn u down no matter where ur numbers are at with blood work but as long as they are low to medium low,

My starting test #'s where at a 370!!! Not medically low enough for some docs to advocate replacement, hell even after 1 year of going off trt it only rose to 377-385 and that was it!

Nerdguy
02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm covered through insurance for the test cyp 200mg/wk, via my PCP. I get 2 bottles for a 12 week supply, insurance refills at 10 weeks, so I basically get a free bottle with every refill for $20 total. No complaints.

jozifp103
03-29-2014, 04:12 PM
sorry to bump/hijack an old thread but i figured its been dead for a month so anyways...I'm 24 in the US with T levels in the past month being 299-346 with the normal range being 250-1100. Free test was in the high 70's with range being 35-180. I have BCBS insurance. Does age play a part in deciding whether insurance covers trt or not? if so what are the odds it will be covered for me?

Paranoid Fitness
03-29-2014, 04:16 PM
sorry to bump/hijack an old thread but i figured its been dead for a month so anyways...I'm 24 in the US with T levels in the past month being 299-346 with the normal range being 250-1100. Free test was in the high 70's with range being 35-180. I have BCBS insurance. Does age play a part in deciding whether insurance covers trt or not? if so what are the odds it will be covered for me?

Your carrier should have a list of approved meds that you can access online. BCBS will most likely vary by state.
I doubt that age will make a difference in coverage.
That would be like saying a child's insulin isn't covered because you can't be diabetic until you're an adult...

mours2
03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Low T is low T no matter the age. If it is MD prescribed they have to cover it. They may request blood results but you have those so you are g2g.

jozifp103
03-30-2014, 03:37 PM
cool. thanks guys...also, what do you think about those numbers in your opinion? (anyone) i know i definitely feel low...and it is NOT fun