PDA

View Full Version : Lifts for longer limbed taller guys

starrookie6
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM
I am fairly tall guy at 6ft 6in , but I have shorter torso and much longer legs and arms ........I was squatting at the gym the other day I cant go super heavy 275 for 12-15 5 sets. When I trainer came up to me and said with my body structure I would benefit more from hack squats and leg press more so than squats. This was news to me , I was always thinking that squats were the king of all exercises as much as I disliked them I knew I needed to do them. I was wondering what everyone else thinks of this or are there any other lifts I should be doing instead of certain others

MidWest
09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I am tall and have longer legs too. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this aswell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Bigjohn11
10-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Definitely giving this a try

big and swole
10-02-2013, 05:59 PM
My tall brothers... trainers are good to have in some instances but if he is nowhere near as tall as you he has no idea what will work best for you. Best advice I can give you is to take your time and experiment with what feels natural. I had to start very light when I first started squatting because of my long limbs and lack of flexibility. If you like squatting then stick with it, they are the best overall mass builders and you will notice other lifts go up as your squat does. I do not not like the leg press at all and dontdon't feel the need for it. I will mix in hack squats here and there as well as front squats but the true secret for tall lifters is the lunge. Start slow and light, get your balance in check, let your hammies stretch deep at the bottom, Our long range of motion is the edge with lunges and you will feel all the tiny muscles in your quads, hamstrings, calves and abs working like never before. Good luck brother and btw i am 6'8" 298lbs squat over 500, bench over 450 and dead about 650 so any thing else please pm me

big and swole
10-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Also wanted to say that stretching in between warm up sets really has helped me to get well below parallel.

mpeters13
10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
interesting idea

theCaptn'
10-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Also wanted to say that stretching in between warm up sets really has helped me to get well below parallel.

Good advices bro. I'm 6'2 but very flexible - my SL DL can go to the ground with a good weight.

Walking lunges as you advised is killer for leg development. Walking them long and slow engages all kinds of muscle groups.

One of my biggest growth/strength spurts was 5x5 squats followed by 20 rep walking lunges. No iso work required.

kombatarts99
10-12-2013, 12:16 AM
I am fairly tall guy at 6ft 6in , but I have shorter torso and much longer legs and arms ........I was squatting at the gym the other day I cant go super heavy 275 for 12-15 5 sets. When I trainer came up to me and said with my body structure I would benefit more from hack squats and leg press more so than squats. This was news to me , I was always thinking that squats were the king of all exercises as much as I disliked them I knew I needed to do them. I was wondering what everyone else thinks of this or are there any other lifts I should be doing instead of certain others

This may sound funny, but don't knock it till ya try it, try ball squats. And use dumbells held shoulder high. I do this with my basketball clients who are above 6'6". works wonders. Than just like big said, go right into the Lunge.