• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Squatting to focus on glutes, best method?

Wheellz

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I've heard a couple different opinions, just not exactly sure so wanted to make a thread. (I've also posted on other forums)

If when squatting, you want to hit your glutes as much as possible, do you do that with:

1) when you come back up, making sure to pelvic push forward and squeeze your glutes
2) squatting very deep, past horizontal
3) other...
??

These both seem to somewhat make sense, just wondering your guys opinions to clear this dilemma up for me.

Thanks.

I've always believed it's a combination of going deep and consciously engaging them on the way up, as well as breaking at the hips, not the knees, first at the top. I feel that puts the emphasis posteriorly at the very beginning then continue to reach back and down with your hips. Box squats can train us to do that movement more effectively, since we 'reach back' for the seat. Start using a box that gets you to parallel and slowly get a lower box/bench/seat. I also use a wide leg stance personally.

I begin the focus on the negatives. I find it easier to focus glutes and hams on the way down and keep the focus throughout the set. I do not lock out on top until finished. Hope this helps.

I find when squatting on a smith machine I can sit nice and deep into the squat... Slow negatives as mentioned above I can feel my glutes/hams start to activate .... I've got a cute arse btw :callme:

I've noticed that when I go below parallel on squats my glutes are more sore the next day rather than if I just go to 90 degrees or a little bit less. So yes, I'd say that squats are very good for getting bigger glutes.

^^^ I saw this trainer having a girl doing it ... it looked kinda lewd to me.. With a little weight on it would be interesting to try out.

My GF does reverse alternating DB lunges, but swings the back leg out - its a dynamic movement that requires a lot of core activation as well. This would also work well as a pre-exhaust for squats.

like everybody else says, get deep - maybe even widen the stance out a bit

Ever try throwing in Romanian or stiff legged deads? Works good for me for hams and glutes

Back