• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Big reps or Big weight ???

starrookie6

Reaction score
Get Shredded!
While on gear , test , eq and hgh .....what would be the ideal rep and set range to use if the goal is lean mass ?

higher reps less weight is still what you want for lean mass and more importantly good form

Whatever has been working for you before... keep doing it.

I would go as heavy as possible with good form .

Ideally you should do both bro ... one week do lighter weight in the 12-15 rep range, the next week 8-10 rep range, the following week the 4-6 rep range. Keeps your body guessing and growing and is the best way to build size, strength and muscular endurance in the long run.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Change is good. The object is to not get stuck on one thing. Keep your body guessing. Do both.

I like going heavy to monitor strength gains while on cycle. Kinda fun to add a 25 plate every week to your workout. :)
Typically towards end of cycle and during PCT I go lighter and superset.

I'd say rotate your training in 4-6 week blocks. Start at a smaller percentage of 1RM weight for higher reps and slow increase the weight and decrease reps each week.

Change the primary movement each block and follow suit for your accessory/shaping exercises or whatever you bodybuilders call them =)

*Keep track of all exercises, weights and reps used. If you're not getting stronger over time you will build ZERO new muscle.

I don't believe on one or the other doing better for a single person. I think you need to exhaust your muscle fibers and create tears....that said I am with Sherk, switch that shit up!

IML Gear Cream!
Hey powerlifter, I hear your workout partner is a tranny.

Pssst pssst, how was that oufinney?

You can't go in wk after wk expecting to push only Heavy weight. Switching things up is essential...the time frame in which you do this varies person to person.

I think it is good to work in different ranges at different points. Been doing low reps for the last few months? Switch to a standard 8-12 and vice versa. 3 good ranges to rotate is 1-3, 4-6, and 8-12

I personally like to run programs as they're written for a few months and see how I do in that particular range for those specific lifts(log book helps here). Currently running layne norton's PHAT and considering running some form of west side for my next cycle to work on heavier weight/lower reps.

Over the years I have learned my legs respond best to lower reps/high weight and back responds best to high reps/light weight(very MMC dependent). This is for ME not everyone, give each approach their own time and you might find you stray from the ordinary in what bodypart responds best to a specific range.

You can't go in wk after wk expecting to push only Heavy weight. Switching things up is essential...the time frame in which you do this varies person to person.

Programs are used by the top IFBB bodybuilders. They follow block training, something similar to a linear progression model. It doesn't get heavy until the last few weeks of training and the rep ranges fall under the 2-6 range as opposed to hitting 1RM's or supra heavy singles. Instead of accessory work or builder movement work, they focus on shaping exercises after hitting the primary movements. The Powerlifts are full body movements and trigger massive releases of hormones.

I'm not saying train like a Powerlifter, just utilize the Powerlifts in your training and program them accordingly. It will induce some serious gains I can promise you that.

Hey powerlifter, I hear your workout partner is a tranny.

Pssst pssst, how was that oufinney?

LOL! Unfortunately Finn has taken a job in north Houston and has been training elsewhere for a quite a while. Actually, he's been working on a site for many months out in the middle of nowhere!

Fortunately, I've found a new training partner that is also a RAW Lifter. I continue losing training partners to new jobs or they have to work elsewhere for half the damn year!!!

Use this formula to determine your 1 Rep Max (1RM) on the Squat, Bench, Deadlift and Strict Overhead Press:

Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight = Estimated 1RM

It gives you +/- 10 or 20 pounds. It will get you very close and once you determine those numbers, chop off 5% to base training numbers off of.

i feel like this is the age old question and does kinda depend on who you are to determine where ur going to get gains from, but muscle confusion is a must.

- - - Updated - - -

i feel like this is the age old question and does kinda depend on who you are to determine where ur going to get gains from, but muscle confusion is a must.

Well I would agree with the above comments.... change it up. From my lean bulking experiences I would start by doing 8-10 reps of heavy weight.... then after a bunch of sets, try downing the weights for higher reps. By the end of the workout, you should be curling 10s.... haha tear that shit down!!!! you wont regret it!

Back