PDA

View Full Version : How bout them calves?

goatfishtwo
09-04-2012, 03:29 PM
For the longest time I've considered calves to be a weak point for me. It seems that's the one muscle I have an insane amount of trouble putting mass on. What kind of calves do you guys have and what routine do you fit into legs to get them to grow? I'm not saying I've tried it all because I haven't actually tried many variances when it comes to this group. I'm just curious to see what everyone else does.

RAINier
09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I've always had good calves. I barely work 'em too (maybe twice a month max) with machine calf raises.

GSRacer
09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
For me, calves are like forearms. The more I target them, and the more work I do to try and make them grow, the less headway I make. The best thing I did for my calves was stop doing calf raises, and any other isolation activity. Now, I train legs twice a week, and do barbell lunges, squats, Romanian deads, and regular deads. By stabilizing myself on these heavy, compound movements, my calves have grown really nicely.

GSRacer
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Also, you have some woods near where you live? Go for a nice, hilly, 1 hour walk/run through a few trails and ravines. I have gotten into this routine where I go into the hills, sight a landmark about 100-200 yards away, and blast there as fast as I can. Then I walk for a few minutes, and do it all over again. Jumping logs, rocks, and navigating off-piste terrain will grow those calves like no other. It sounds odd, but it works. This obviously doesn't apply if you are in an urban setting.

goatfishtwo
09-04-2012, 04:25 PM
For me, calves are like forearms. The more I target them, and the more work I do to try and make them grow, the less headway I make. The best thing I did for my calves was stop doing calf raises, and any other isolation activity. Now, I train legs twice a week, and do barbell lunges, squats, Romanian deads, and regular deads. By stabilizing myself on these heavy, compound movements, my calves have grown really nicely.

I guess I'm a hypocrite for chastising people who target forearms and asking for advice about calves. Lol.

On another note, however, that does seem like sound advice. I can honestly say I've skipped more leg workouts than I'm proud of because for whatever reason my mind places legs at the bottom of the priority pole. Big mistake because now my legs lag behind my very well developed upper body. Secretly I'm hoping that my run of AAS will at least help me get a jump on where my legs should be at this point. Although many factors and variables play a role in the development of any and all muscle groups I still intend on holding on to the hope that this will free my legs of mediocrity.

RAINier
09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I think genetics play a large part for calves (as well as forearms). GS' suggestion about running somewhere hilly with obstacles though is a solid way to build calves. I've yet to see a serious runner with bad calves.

Ezskanken
09-04-2012, 06:19 PM
My calves are sloooooooooow to grow to. I hit the twice a week. One is all 20 reps on each move, the next is with heavier weight shooting for 8-12 reps. The DC routine for calves is amazing, but I need a new stop watch to be honest with timing. I have been hitting them first as well so my strength is full, allowing me to use more contraction with the higher weight...

Dath
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
My calves are nothing special (look decent flexed) but could use improvement for sure, few things I personally believe calves for me need to be worked 2 times a wk. I'm not sure another muscle in the body ( except the heart lol) gets utilized so often. Hence my thoughts they need the extra work just my opinion. ( but then you got rainier who has good calves and only 2x a month does he work them)
I normally do them on chest/Tri day, also leg day...Whatever I'm doing,seated calf raises, donkey raises, standing machine lifts, raises in smith machine with a block under me I make sure to raise all the way up and stretch it all the way down.
Ive tried heavy weighted sets low reps, high reps sets light weight, burn outs, timed sets...I can't tell which works best for me in this department....

big and swole
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Seated calf raises for me. Drop sets and at the end just bounce the weight up and down as fast as you can. I guarantee you've never had a burn like the one you'll get from this.

goatfishtwo
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Seated calf raises for me. Drop sets and at the end just bounce the weight up and down as fast as you can. I guarantee you've never had a burn like the one you'll get from this.

Very nice. Lucky gene pool :)

Ezskanken
09-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Big I hate you!

:paddle:

goatfishtwo
09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Big I hate you!

:paddle:

I am also envious. Those are pretty marvelous.

Nova
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I've been trying to grow them calves too. You may find this an interesting read http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html