PDA

View Full Version : Delt training

Ronnie81
09-09-2013, 08:28 AM
OK now I'm really focused on my delts where I feel I'm lacking now was my obliques now I got that looking good want to work on delts and just wonder n what would be some good exercises that would help me add more size to them right now I'm working out with my wife in the evening and I go mornings b4 work like always so been hitting one heavy one light day on each muscle group and seeing good progress just need a bit of advice also hit cardio 4-5 days a week 30-40 min sessions just want some suggestions on best delt exercises to pack on a little mass

GSRacer
09-09-2013, 10:11 AM
German Volume Training. Barbell presses, dumbbell presses dumbbell raises and lateral rows as the foundation. Dont go overboard with the cardio and eat more. Whatever you do don't over-train (3 exercises should be good, or just 1 if you use GVT) on shoulder day, and only target them once a week. Your shoulders are engaged on so many different days, that I here are times and weeks where I will just skip shoulders all together. When I eased off the gas in my Delts, they grew. Good luck!

Ronnie81
09-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Sounds good ty for response bro some good advice the only reason I hit cardio so much is cuz before I began seriously training a few years back I was kinda of heavy so always worried about it creeping back up on me I do take in a lot of calories and eat clean 95℅ of the time I do have 1 sometimes 2 cheat meals a week that's why I say that but gonna to research GVT right now and ur advice sounds on point ty again

heymrwaters
09-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Controlled seated side laterals (with your pinky higher than your thumb) is my favorite mass builder for delts. Like GS said delts are targeted on so many other exercises, but laterals REALLY helped bring up my deltoids.

Little BamBam
09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Controlled seated side laterals (with your pinky higher than your thumb) is my favorite mass builder for delts. Like GS said delts are targeted on so many other exercises, but laterals REALLY helped bring up my deltoids.

same as waters and gsr both great answers. less cardio though

big and swole
09-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Good points everybody, I will also add that you should focus on your rear delts first on shoulder day. Reverse fly's and bent over lateral raises will have your shoulders looking thick and popping from the side.

Ronnie81
09-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Alright sounds good kinda what I've started focusing ty for advice

zachfox35
09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
drop sets for rear delts? I have a hard time bringing up my delta and in specific the rear delts. What are ideal reps and set schemes

the prototype
09-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I have the opposite problem. My delts grow like crazy. I've considered not working them out every week. I read one BBer has the same issue and only does delts once a month.

FKA rippedgolfer

Pittsburgh63
09-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I have the opposite problem. My delts grow like crazy. I've considered not working them out every week. I read one BBer has the same issue and only does delts once a month.

FKA rippedgolfer

I have this problem...delts grow way faster than everything else....and arms are the slowest. Makes for a tough balancing act. I skip shoulders every other week...sometimes more.

jerseydevil
09-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Side lateral raise are boss and are the key to delt growth. But you see so many people rocking and using momentum to get the weight up. All that does is take the load off the delts, which is exactly what you don't want to do. I tend to use lighter weight on these. I raise slowly as stated above at the top pinky is higher then the thumb, with a slight pause, and lower the DB's slowly. Not that I have the biggest delts, but since I started doing side raises this way I have seen a big difference in size and definition.

Anabolic5150
09-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Try this for 6 weeks. Shoulders get their own day at least 3 days after chest.

4 sets of heavy shoulder presses (Smith, barbell, dumbbell, machine, no matter) reps in 6-8 range
4 sets of heavy side laterals (machine, dumbbell, cable) with no cheating in 8-12 rep range
4 sets of rear laterals (reverse pec deck, dumbbell, cable) in the 10-12 rep range

Done.

Streettime
09-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I used to always do shoulders on their own day and recently switched to where I do all my pushing and pulling movements on the same day ... for example Monday: chest,shoulders,triceps. Wednesday: back,biceps. Friday: legs,calves abs. Sunday & Tuesday: cardio. Since I switched to this method I've seen noticeable difference in shoulder strength, size, and definition. Jerseydevil hit it on the head with side lateral raises. Try this ... sit on a swiss ball across from a mirror, grab a pair of 20 or 25 pound dumbbells and do slow deliberate high rep side laterals to the ears, pour the tea at the top of the movement. I promise after 3 or 4 sets you will have the shoulder pump of a lifetime :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

l69lou
09-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Try this for 6 weeks. Shoulders get their own day at least 3 days after chest.

4 sets of heavy shoulder presses (Smith, barbell, dumbbell, machine, no matter) reps in 6-8 range
4 sets of heavy side laterals (machine, dumbbell, cable) with no cheating in 8-12 rep range
4 sets of rear laterals (reverse pec deck, dumbbell, cable) in the 10-12 rep range .

Done. BUMP. Nothing fancy is needed just what we call bread and butter movements done with everything you've got. Concentrate and learn the art of getting your head in the muscle is alot of it. Making the muscle targeted do the work and not being a weight lifter but a bodybuilder ! Twice a week for short periods but all the time will be too much for most guys. Cut the cardio back, you are burning the colories needed to grow

jerseydevil
09-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Jerseydevil hit it on the head with side lateral raises. Try this ... sit on a swiss ball across from a mirror, grab a pair of 20 or 25 pound dumbbells and do slow deliberate high rep side laterals to the ears, pour the tea at the top of the movement. :thumbup:

I will have to try the swiss ball thing! Good suggestion Street

jerseydevil
09-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Making the muscle targeted do the work and not being a weight lifter but a bodybuilder !
Great advice here! Do you know how many years it took me to realize this? Lift and eat to grow and chisel a physique. Who cares what your one rep max is?