PDA

View Full Version : Best training to hit the long head on tricep?

Johnnyboy004
08-31-2012, 08:45 PM
What lifts are most effective in developing the long head. I've alway felt like my long head was not proportionate with the lateral head. Would love some pointers.

nby
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
French press.

l69lou
09-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Yes the long head is best activated by any tricep movements with your hands above your head. French press, I like doing it with cables is great . One arm tricep press with a dumbell or both hands with a dumbell - basically anything with hands above the head.

Deja Vu
09-02-2012, 05:01 AM
What do you do now bro?

Have you tried just doing heavy mass builders?

close grip bench
dips
Skull crushers?

Johnnyboy004
09-02-2012, 06:18 AM
What do you do now bro?

Have you tried just doing heavy mass builders?

close grip bench
dips
Skull crushers?

Right now I'm doing skulls, dips, pull downs, and because I can't use a barbell on the bench (separated AC joint, burns like im being stabbed w a hot knife) I do diamond and military pushups to hit the tris trying to mimick the close grip on the bench.

Im going to incorporate overhead tricep extensions as well. Currently im doing bent over tricep extensions. Alternating sets w palms facing up, then palms facing down.

My long head has always seemed underdeveloped to me. I think I use pretty sound technique but any pointers on wrist angles, elbow placement, and so forth would be appreciated.

big and swole
09-02-2012, 06:29 AM
One thing ill throw in that really hits the long head is seated overhead extensions from the low pulley on a machine. Sit facing away and have somebody hand you your ex bar of choice. I stick with the v grip or rope ex. Do high reps stretching at the bottom will have your triceps burning in a good way.

goatfishtwo
09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Skull crushers and French press are definitely effective for that from what I've learned.

Nova
02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
french press and keeping your elbows in and stoping them from flaring out helps.