• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Strength, Power, who cares....?

RoidsR4m3

Going Pro 2016
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Guys, I wanted to start this thread to ask much of you why you do what you do? Meaning do you guys lift for pure strength, for aesthetics, for just trying to be the biggest nastiest sob around. And also what were some of your greatest lifts. For me it's about aesthetics. I actually really don't give two cents about strength. But I've always been one of the stronger kids on the block and I guess I would be pissed if I couldn't get my 130's on incline. My Best lift, last year in Iraq , shoulder press, 125 dumbbell for 22 reps.

Just trying to be the biggest nastiest sob around.

used to be obsessed with moving pure weight but now at 45 i just wanna get as huge as i can before my dirt nap.got 447x1 on the flat bench over the winter at around 215-217lbs bodyweight so i'm happy.if i can make it to 450-500lbs in the next year that'd be great but if not it's still cool.not too many ex 135lb dope fiends walking the earth that can say they broke,benched and locked out with no spot 447lbs on the bench so that's my pinnacle i guess.

this year,stating this week,i want to focus mainly on as much hypertrophy as i can.swithching from GVT to Max-ot type of routine to even a DC run for a while should give me what i'm looking for.to keep my strength gains-once i get them back,lol.i been so freaking lazy this summer and took off last 5wks-and still pack on enuff size and look at least 20-25lbs heavier than my actual weight with the lowest b/f percentage...

Oddly enough I went into this sport to look better and now I just focus on moving max weight every session.

Started lifting intially for strength during H.S football.
Focused now more on Aesthetics and Size.

I was bullied in school for being the "nerd" of the class, even in college! I wanted to fit in with the rest of the people, so hitting the gym hard was a way out for me, also a place to thinkm so now its just Aesthetics and Size that drive me to go back every day

Strength and size. I go back and fourth..

Wow guys, this is good stuff. I always enjoy hearing how people came around to making lifting a real passion. Mine was for the military. I was always in shape in high school as I played basketball and soccer. When I joined I wanted to start to look like some of the guys around me. After two years of nonstop training I was assigned to a team and was able to really start lifting. For two years straight I was doing so much running and calisthenics I could never really put on much mass. After a good year of really eating clean and lifting hard a friend introduced to me Methyl-1-test, And from there, it was over. haha

Lets keep these coming...

I was bullied in school for being the "nerd" of the class, even in college! I wanted to fit in with the rest of the people, so hitting the gym hard was a way out for me, also a place to thinkm so now its just Aesthetics and Size that drive me to go back every day

A benefit of bodybuilding not often talked about. The added strength and confidence gained in the gym can be a big boost.

Smashing the fucking bully in the teeth helps too.

IML Gear Cream!
A benefit of bodybuilding not often talked about. The added strength and confidence gained in the gym can be a big boost.

Smashing the fucking bully in the teeth helps too.

Thanks, I have wondered what ever happened to these people? At one point I was going to send a thank you card, letting them know, because of them, I have the drive and passion to do alot of things I would have other wise given up on!

I lift for strength only. As long as I am constantly driving to increase strength, all the other things like size, aesthetics, and being a nasty SOB follow without even having to think about it...

Me:
-It started as I entered college and graduated high school I believe, when I realized that I didn't want to be skinny for the rest of my life. I had seen Pumping Iron and spent a lot of a summer renting Arnold flicks. I wanted to be able to have no trouble lifting/moving/throwing things, I wanted to be able to fill out the arm/chest space in my clothes, and I felt that the skinny/angsty/broody look wasn't "me" anymore (although I've found that women do really love that look just as much as the muscular look :p).

-Also, I think there might have been pressure on me to be stereotypically masculine. My father lived very far away when I was in my formative years and I barely saw him. (getting really deep here).

-That was then. Now, it's a great way to relieve stress. It's a piece of regularity in my life, no matter where I am in the world, and I love it.

Size and aesthetics for me, the older I get the less strength matters in fact heavier lifting is a hindrance for me. As long as I fill out my XXXL shirt I'm happy.

Both. Main goal is size/aesthetics but repped 140s inclinedx5 yest and it was awesome (pr)

Both. Main goal is size/aesthetics but repped 140s inclinedx5 yest and it was awesome (pr)
Congrats! New maxes on dumbell bench always feel more substantial that barbell to me.

It all depends on what time of the year it is... I tend to drop 20-30lbs around summer for the beach, then after that it's all out size and strength.

It all depends on what time of the year it is... I tend to drop 20-30lbs around summer for the beach, then after that it's all out size and strength.
30lbs?? What're your thoughts on lean bulking? Not effective enough?

Lifting for aesthetics and strength is just a side effect.

Get Shredded!
After losing 60lbs of fat, I only cared about gaining strength. But then you realize, strength gains do not equate to aesthetics. Now, I just lift to get bigger after establishing a proper strength base. People forget that a stronger muscle is almost always a bigger muscle, like Phil Heath says. That being said, heavy triples on compounds lift don't really do shit in terms of building a good looking back, chest or legs... :wits:

initially (early 1990's), i wanted to get bigger, then leaner, and that repeated itself several times. i'd say in the last 2-3 years, i've been trying to gain more strength in the basics with low reps and mixing in "lighter reps" on assistance work; i like a little speed work as well. As it is, i'm pretty sure i fuarkked my SI joint up with DL's - so now im thinking, it might be time to lay off the hard, grinding reps

Like Kai Greene said "I'm a bodybuilder, I never want to be a weightlifter." You don't have the lift the world to move it.

I started out to get bigger for fighting, as I was an undersized heavyweight. Now i lift for pure strength gains, also it is still fun to grab onto guys and have them just look at you like, holy shit this guy is strong.

As long as i keep my 3xxl shirts full of muscle and my carpender pants snug with my wheels ,the im cool
big-lean and strong. ooow he is a big pacific islander :roflmao: :mad: Boooooooooom !

As long as i keep my 3xxl shirts full of muscle and my carpender pants snug with my wheels ,the im cool
big-lean and strong. ooow he is a big pacific islander :roflmao: :mad: Boooooooooom !
Samoan?

- - - Updated - - -

Only for Aesthetic look, I could care less if I could bench 125 or 325
Reps for honesty.

Back