PDA

View Full Version : Bench Pressing

Jeffro 3875
08-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Ok everyone. Today I watched a guy come into to the gym and start benching. I was really disappointed as I watched his skinny self put 275 on and rep it out like it was nothing. I mean he wasn't anything special as far as build or anything. Meanwhile I spend hours, days, and weeks in the gym sculpting and building and this guy just walks in like he's been lifting for years. So lets talk about benching, techniques, and feedback. What has helped any one of you? I'm curious to hear some good feedback on this subject.

bigharleyb
08-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Dave Tate...that is what helped me. I went from a max of 225 to a max or 385 by changing my technique. Pinch your shoulder blades together when you set up, puff up your chest but don't elevate your butt. Most guys come down with the bar too high up....bring it down about an inch or two below the nipple line,(where your pecs and upper abs meet)...Drive out of the hole with your feet all the while keeping your butt down on the bench. You have to play around with grip width to get maximum performance....I like ring fingers on the outer ring, ( 5'11 230lbs with long ass arms)...Just keep at it.

bigharleyb
08-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't know what your rep scheme is but I like to pyramid....A set of 12,8.6.5.5.8.12 increase the weight to a point then do drop sets, etc. Heavy deadlifts and squats also helped in the bench department as crazy as it sounds, YOU GOT TO GROW ALL OVER TO GET STRONGER.

theestone
08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
He quite possibly could have been lifting for many, many years. And not care about his physique all too much. Strength isn't about size necessarily. My GF's cousin has been playing sports since he was a kid, baseball mainly. You wouldn't know it by looking at him compared to me, I've got a lot more muscle mass. But he's got 85 lbs on my bench, and 100+ on my squat, I haven't seen it, but don't doubt it. I have only been training for about 4.5 years though and him 10+.

jas101
08-13-2013, 07:01 PM
I travel with work a lot and recently worked out at a YMCA in a very very small town. The young high school kids in there was throwing up 315-365 lbs on the bench. I was wondering what kinda food they feed these kids in small town America.

McDouche
08-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw
there are a few other parts to the series, you'll need to dig them up yourself but the title is "So you think you can Bench?"

Form is important. Most bodybuilders I've met have shitty form if the goal is to move maximum weight. Their form works for what they want to do, but not for moving heavy ass weights. Your upper back needs to be tight. Really tight. When I teach people how to bench, the first couple of workouts leaves their upper back more sore than their chest/shoulders.

Outside of form, the most important thing in a bench press training program is the number of work sets. Not reps. Sets. 10 sets of 3 in infinetly better for a big bench than 3 sets of 10. Every bench session I do has 6-10 work sets of 1-3 reps. This has been a big key for me.

Jeffro 3875
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Great info guys. I guess its a decision to go heavy and focus on form and strength or sculpting. Balance seems to be the key to development of a big bench with a sculpted build. I've been trying Dave Tate stuff lately and in a matter of a few sessions I have changed things dramatically. Thanks again.

Heavy hitter
08-16-2013, 01:49 PM
This is my advice. You may call me crazy. But if your serious. Get in a squat rack and do proper below parallel squats. Then hit some heavy dead lifts. Your bench will go up. There's no science to it. Little tips and tricks help. But big squat = Big bench all day. Bust your ass every single time your at the gym eat right and enjoy.

georgiaboi877
08-16-2013, 02:28 PM
interesting read thanks

Engodkaka
08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Hum... I'm not even half of a gym expert from most guys here but what helped me go from 220 lbs to 280lbs natural with no roids at my peak was actually get my triceps more explosive AND also
wierdly enough, train my back shoulders/ shoulder blades area. I wieghted 82kg for 186cm tall, so skinny too....

What helped me from going from 95kg bench to the goal 100kg back in the days was Muay thai (was stuck a loong time). So i don't think you should ONLY focus bench to be great in it.
The puff the chest up, ass down and a little bent on the back feels good too! :)

LOL, im 25 and im talking about "back in the days".....

Tdeizel89
08-16-2013, 04:05 PM
The big question is are u trying to be a power lifter or bodybuilder?? If ou care about strength and not looks you can set up a nice profram to build strenrgh with low reps.. In my case i am more bodybuilding status. You have to get weight out of ur head in this case. It doesnt matter how much weight its quality of form and reps. Obv u need a decent weight to play with but i could give a shit about how heavy i go on bench. Some days ya i max out but most its 12-16 reps quality slow reps. Percect form. Pause explosive reps. Slow negatives and hard strong contraction at top try to really squeeze the shit out of ur pecs. Honestly with this approach strength will come into play after a while. But youll look better and feel better. And after a long time of that ull be supriseed on the strength increase on those days u do go heavy. Fuck wut the guy next to u lifts. Thats the buggest mistake alot of guys make bc they let themselves down and in some sense feel like they r wasting their time and effort. Concentrate on urself. Good luck, and never get urself down bc u think sumone else is better or w.e case may be