PDA

View Full Version : Biceps lacking -- input on workout

nby
08-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Everyone has that lacking body part or two. Mine are chest and biceps. Starting to bring up chest by focusing more on flyes instead of compounds, where my shoulders and triceps would do most of the work, they are relatively bigger in comparison to chest. Anyway the second part lagging are my biceps. I'm stuck at about 16" to 16'5" cold and I even think most of that is due to my triceps. I try to hit them twice a week and a workout would look something like:

(In no particular order)
DB curls 4 sets, pyramide down from 10-12 reps to about 6
Preacher curl, 4 sets, up to 10-12 reps
EZ cable curl, 4 sets, up to 10-12 reps

So it's about 12 sets at the moment, after that I'm full. I've tried doing more reps and sets with lighter weight but that didn't seem to do much. I do get more burn but it doesn't pay out in growth or anything. I focus a lot on contraction so there is no throwing/momentum used in any exercise. Weight is medium to high.
Perhaps noteworthy; I always do biceps after chest or triceps (on arm day).

If anyone wants to shed some light on this, or have an idea where this might go wrong, please do tell. I've been stuck at this size for quite some time and getting frustrated that the guns aren't coming along with the rest of my body.

Metalhead
08-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Biceps are a strong point of mine, i always start with straight bar curls, thats the mass builder for me, then I do preacher curls finishing off with dumbell curls, hammer curls, or cable curls. 3-4 sets of everything and that does it for me.

Nocode8511
08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Bar curls - 3 sets of 21's
Alt hammer curls - 3x10 super set w/ reverse cable curls 3x12-15
Alt DB curls 2x run the rack super set w/ preacher curls 3x stripping method

Try that for a workout. I try to hit my body parts 2x's per week and thats my 2nd workout.

the-german
08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Train biceps and triceps together in superset fashion with little to no rest between sets. Focus on the pump primarily and add weight when possible but not at the sacrifice of "feeling" the lift. If that means you curl 20s then curl those bitches. You have to earn those big weights. Also try to use volume as progressive overload primarily(that doesn't mean entirely) rather than weights. Such as 9 sets total for 3 weeks, 12 sets total for the next 3, 15 sets for 1-2 weeks. Mountain dog arms by john meadows is absolute gold when it comes to arm training.

As a guy that has been in your situation before regarding your lack of chest I have a few recommendations that has brought my chest up to par about to my delts. 2-3 very light sets of lying cable flies with intent to feel your chest. Begin with DB press, never BB press, 2-3 light warm up sets and use DB as your primary chest exercise for the next 6 months. If your delts/tris step in then lower the weight.

Bama78
08-23-2013, 02:59 PM
^the German is on point!
Good luck brother

hightestfuel
08-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Take the curl bar over to the squat rack, and before you finish your first set, you will have bros mirin!

hightestfuel
08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Seriously though, I started the FST7 workout about a month ago, and still get damn sore (lats and shoulder are my focus). I had 2 buddies going all out on it- including diet and gear- and they really like it. Torrent (video) got them started.

orange24
08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Biceps are a strong point of mine, i always start with straight bar curls, thats the mass builder for me, then I do preacher curls finishing off with dumbell curls, hammer curls, or cable curls. 3-4 sets of everything and that does it for me.

Piggy backing on this. Straight bar curls are a must. Adds thickness and density along with hammers to finish...

Glipski11
09-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Hammer Curls, and ISO Curls seems to have done the most for me, Including preacher curls, but you said you are already doing those.

optimusbro
09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Does anyone else get wrist pain doing straight bar curls? The main reason I stick to ez bar or dumbbells is that I get a really uncomfortable feeling in the outside of my wrist when using a straight bar

l69lou
09-23-2013, 08:25 AM
If you have been working them twice a week , try once per week. Often twice per week proves too much for the long haul . When you do train them try incorperating intensity techniques like forced reps , FST -7 , negatives, 21's . Bring up the intensity and reduce the frequency , make sense ? Bi's are a small muscle group and overtraining them often leads to stagnation . They also are worked hard with back training . If you want to get where you havn't been before you have to do something you havn't done before !

dent42
09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm a fan of incline alt DB curls, and I try to not let my arms hang freely at the bottom but, hold a little forward, I feel it has helped me a lot. And I had absolutely no visible biceps when I started.

Also like to finish up the night with 3 or 4 sets of 21s till I can't do any more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

SoCalJC
09-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Then there's CT the Trainer. Who trained arms everyday. This guy cracks me up.

NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHiKDa4ip_Q

GSRacer
09-23-2013, 10:16 PM
I would say training ym max of ,once/ week max, and if you have to skip a body part one week, make that trhe arms

Wheellz
09-29-2013, 03:26 PM
I'd start hitting them more often

BIG
10-01-2013, 12:43 AM
There is really very good advise on this thread. I had the same issue.
I Hit bi's every 4th day. and If I'm doing bi's and tri's together, I'll hit tri first then bi's. But the key word is FOCUS on the muscle. Do not get stuck on weight, rather feel the muscle pump up, and fry em.

Bigjohn11
10-02-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree^

Dieseljimmy
10-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Igf des im pre workout is my drug recommendation

Silly drop sets, super sets, giant sets... anything that sucks is my training recommendation.

Burrfoot1313
10-02-2013, 03:37 PM
For me it was all about form and concentration. For the longest, I had shitty form and I didn't get the results I was looking for. Once I was ok with doing less weight but having better form, I grew pretty quickly. Now, I can hammer curl sets with 50's with my back straight against a wall. And barbell curls gave me great strength like some others have said on here.

massthetics
10-10-2013, 06:50 PM
straight bars curls, hammer curls, one arm preacher curls on incline bench. superset with tricep pullldowns and skullcrushers. biceps and triceps work antagonistically so one is at rest while the other is working. kind of the opposite of functional/dynamic training, but it works for bi's/tri's and chest/back very well. supersets and pyramid training or drop sets are king in my book.

To swole 43
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Stay at it brotha

nby
10-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've switched to twice a weak heavy low reps (mountain dog workout) and been doing this for 2 months now and not a cm has passed. I'm gonna switch to higher reps lower weight for once a week the upcoming 2 months and see if that helps.

It's pretty annoying since my delts are huge and round which makes my arm look even smaller. Also the rest is growing like weed but arms are still far behind. If I could take an inch off my quads and put them on my guns I'd do it lol

SoCalJC
10-14-2013, 06:04 AM
For arms I've always felt low weight and higher reps and DROP SETS is the way to go. Keeps the pump and burn alive!