PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried Melatonin?

Johnnyboy004
08-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Any of you bros ever try this supplement? I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Probably once every 2 weeks I stay up the whole night into the next day. Not stressed out, and I dont take any caffeine past noon. Ive used unisom in the past, but I wake up feeling pretty groggy. Also feel cloudy for the remainder of the day.

Tren will never be an option for me. Id like to give melatonin a shot since its an all natural sleep aid. Read alot of reviews saying side effects were minimal. But I dont want to take it if I wake up with that cloudy feeling all day like I took NyQuill.

Thanks,
John

CWB
08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Any of you bros ever try this supplement? I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Probably once every 2 weeks I stay up the whole night into the next day. Not stressed out, and I dont take any caffeine past noon. Ive used unisom in the past, but I wake up feeling pretty groggy. Also feel cloudy for the remainder of the day.

Tren will never be an option for me. Id like to give melatonin a shot since its an all natural sleep aid. Read alot of reviews saying side effects were minimal. But I dont want to take it if I wake up with that cloudy feeling all day like I took NyQuill.

Thanks,
John
I have tried it with no success but my girlfriend uses it and says it works great for her. I would recommend giving it a try. I believe she uses the 10mg. I know they also have it in sublingual form so make sure you read the package carefully.

curttag
08-27-2012, 07:31 AM
melatonin is weird for me. seems like sometimes it works really well and then some nites i take it it like im stairing at the wall for hours and dont feel tired at all. the ones i have are 10mg. never have that cloudy graugy feeling though.

GSRacer
08-27-2012, 07:31 AM
I take Melatonin and Valerian root together (powerhouse combo) and I sleep like a baby every night.

curttag
08-27-2012, 07:35 AM
^never heard of valerian root

Johnnyboy004
08-27-2012, 07:39 AM
I am liking what I hear so far. If sides are not an issue, there is no harm in giving it a shot.

l69lou
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
I was a night shift worker for 25 yrs. Sometimes insomnia almost crippled me and then a girlfriend told me about melatonin. Saved me big time. I have used it off and on now for 20 yrs. The key to it is to figure out the minumim dose you can take and get the desired effects. Most brands are 3mg pills. I split those and find that is good for me. Too much and you may have some morning grogginess. The other side effect very common is nightmares. Very vivid ! Again if you find that minumim dose you should be ok. Highly recomend this product.

GSRacer
08-27-2012, 09:16 AM
^never heard of valerian root

Its an herb you can get at any pharmacy, gnc etc. Combined with melatonin it works very well for me, and this is coming from someone who used to need some serious prescription medications to sleep.

GSRacer
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
I am liking what I hear so far. If sides are not an issue, thaere is no harm in giving it a shot.

Probably one of the safest things you can take to help you sleep

curttag
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
damn gs thanks bro! gonna try this out!

GSRacer
08-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I was a night shift worker for 25 yrs. Sometimes insomnia almost crippled me and then a girlfriend told me about melatonin. Saved me big time. I have used it off and on now for 20 yrs. The key to it is to figure out the minumim dose you can take and get the desired effects. Most brands are 3mg pills. I split those and find that is good for me. Too much and you may have some morning grogginess. The other side effect very common is nightmares. Very vivid ! Again if you find that minumim dose you should be ok. Highly recomend this product.

I take 6mg and don't experience grogginess but man do I have some amazingly vivid dreams!

rocco-x
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
like curt said,sometimes it works for me,other times i don't feel it.i've always had sleep issues and found that 3mg about an hour before bed along with some chamomille tea or warm milk does the trick unless i'm getting in from the gym late and am suped up on pre-workout energy supps.then it's time for something a bit stronger,which i don't like to do but have no choice.

once i take it i jump in a nice warm shower and try to just relax.doesn't make you sleepy like benadryl,just helps you to fall asleep at a normal pace.also gets you into a deeper state of rem.i do try however to take it when the seasons change like fall/winter because i suffer from SAD,seasonal affective disorder.my sleep patterns get messed up,i get depressed and anxiety attacks happen left and right.last thing i need is no sleep.try it out.was also looking into trying that sleep inducing peptide but i've heard nothing about it as of yet so i won't mess with it till i find out more about it.

AkaMr.AK
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I take Melatonin and Valerian root together (powerhouse combo) and I sleep like a baby every night.

That's a great combo. I build up a tolerance rather quickly when using valerian root. I have also been interested in mp's delta sleep inducing peptide but haven't heard much about it

effinrob
08-27-2012, 10:05 AM
i take them every night and took prescription grade sleep aids for years... i love melatonin it allows me to sleep like a baby and i dont feel like crap in the morning.... give it a shot 5-10 mg puts me out all night

ashoprep1
08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
yes. good stuff

RoidsR4m3
08-27-2012, 12:28 PM
i take them every night and took prescription grade sleep aids for years... i love melatonin it allows me to sleep like a baby and i dont feel like crap in the morning.... give it a shot 5-10 mg puts me out all night

Bump Bump^^^

The trick to melatonin, and I'm sure the guys here can back me up on this one is, once you start to feel that slight relaxing effect or drowsiness, it's time to turn off the tv or put the book down immediately and hit the sack. If you push past that or stay awake you can totally kill the effect and it's back to stage one.... Trying to fall asleep. I travel for my job and I've tried everything out there. there are some good blends out there that have melatonin in them too that works great. Happy sleeping bro

effinrob
08-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Bump Bump^^^

The trick to melatonin, and I'm sure the guys here can back me up on this one is, once you start to feel that slight relaxing effect or drowsiness, it's time to turn off the tv or put the book down immediately and hit the sack. If you push past that or stay awake you can totally kill the effect and it's back to stage one.... Trying to fall asleep. I travel for my job and I've tried everything out there. there are some good blends out there that have melatonin in them too that works great. Happy sleeping bro

that is so right if i fight the mel for more then 15 minutes it doesnt help as soon as i have problems keeping my eyes open i just shut off the tv and pass out

Johnnyboy004
08-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm looking forward to trying this out. I went to a sleep center and everything. Sleep centers aren't covered under insurance, at least not under my high deductible plan, so it cost me about 2 gs just for them to tell me I have insomnia.

I cut out booze, because booze causes my muscles to relax and I wind getting sleep apniea. But a beer would help me sleep. Not stay asleep though.

Rocco mentioned seasonal disorders and that always almost happens to me in the change of seasons. Sleep patterns and anxiety. I also get a massive migraine when the seasons change. Like throw up from the pain, can't move, my head is going to pop and need prescription meds type migraine.

Definately going to give melatonin a shot, and if I need a little more kick I'll add gsr's suggestion of valerian root. Pretty excited to try this because sometimes I feel like I live a second life while everyone else is sleeping. But I learn a lot during that time awake, mostly reading what you mothers have to say here on ASF. ha.

Hey Rainier, why don't you shut this place down for a few weeks so I can sleep?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

RAINier
08-27-2012, 06:01 PM
\
Hey Rainier, why don't you shut this place down for a few weeks so I can sleep?

No can do sir! It wouldn't be my call anyway.

GSRacer's suggestions were absolutely solid. Some things I would add - no caffeine after 2PM, no carbs 3 hours before bed, no TV/electronics an hour before bed and make sure your room is colder than 70 degrees F and dark. Messing around with your partner also helps ;).

Crazy
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
I started off at 250 a day and ramped up to 1mg per day for 4 weeks. Got like 10 shades darker with only 8mins in the bed each week. I had the nausea at first with the facial flush but as my body adjusted it got much better. Only thing with MTII is it gave me a very unnatural looking tan. I looked more dirty than tan towards the end. Facial hair is jet black now tho....

RAINier
08-28-2012, 02:02 PM
I started off at 250 a day and ramped up to 1mg per day for 4 weeks. Got like 10 shades darker with only 8mins in the bed each week. I had the nausea at first with the facial flush but as my body adjusted it got much better. Only thing with MTII is it gave me a very unnatural looking tan. I looked more dirty than tan towards the end. Facial hair is jet black now tho....
That's melanotan brother! This is melatonin, something you can buy over the counter to help you sleep better.

Deja Vu
08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Meltonin did shit for me.

1 xanax and 1 bowl medi weed = night night

Johnnyboy004
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Picked up the melatonin today. Also got some valerian root suggested by gsr. Hope it works out for me

Ive used Xanax in the past for anxiety at night. The stuff was great. Could sleep like a baby. But once I stopped taking it I got twitchy for a while. Would just have random muscle spasms. So although I think it's awesome, I stay away from it.

Used to love smoking now and then, but one day it went from being relaxing to making me worry about shit I didnt need to worry about. I'd laugh at myself after for being such a pussy. Not sure why it changed for me all the sudden because it used to be really relaxing.

RAINier
09-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Picked up the melatonin today. Also got some valerian root suggested by gsr. Hope it works out for me

Ive used Xanax in the past for anxiety at night. The stuff was great. Could sleep like a baby. But once I stopped taking it I got twitchy for a while. Would just have random muscle spasms. So although I think it's awesome, I stay away from it.

Used to love smoking now and then, but one day it went from being relaxing to making me worry about shit I didnt need to worry about. I'd laugh at myself after for being such a pussy. Not sure why it changed for me all the sudden because it used to be really relaxing.
Tobacco, or cannabis? It could really be both you're talking about.

Johnnyboy004
09-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Tobacco, or cannabis? It could really be both you're talking about.

Weed

GSRacer
09-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Same thing happened to me with the bud. I think it's because I got into other drugs. Unfortunate. Be liberal with the melatonin and Valerian. It's safe.

Johnnyboy004
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Same thing happened to me with the bud. I think it's because I got into other drugs. Unfortunate. Be liberal with the melatonin and Valerian. It's safe.

Thanks for the advice on the melatonin bros. It has been working like a charm. I also added the valerian root per your suggestion GSR. The combo knocks me out. Could be placebo effect, could be real, but either way it's working. Only thing is I do take about 20 mgs more around 2am because I wake up and cant fall back asleep. But then I sleep through the rest of the night.

Monk
09-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Oh that happens , it is not just you . I used to use melatonin about twelve years ago . It worked but after awhile my head just had a lazy feeling to it . Cant explain .
But good luck with it . I am trying to calm down now at 1:25 am .... I am using beer and expm . I know that is wrong ..at least I am not on a cycle . I will figure out another way .

goatfishtwo
09-12-2012, 04:55 AM
I would strongly encourage using melatonin when having sleep problems.

Johnnyboy004
09-12-2012, 05:49 AM
I would strongly encourage using melatonin when having sleep problems.

It's great. In the past I've used something called unisom which has the same active ingredient for sleep as Tylenol pm and I'm pretty sure night time cold medicine; diphenhydramine. But that stuff makes me wake up feeling cloudy and it lasts all day. Better off drinking whiskey then using that stuff. Feel better at least.

By the way, congrats goatfish on the rep gig. Expop is lucky to have a guy w you knowledge.

epson1
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Definitely had troubles sleeping lately and I've been sceptical of an OTC Sleep aid but with these good of reviews I'll give it a.shot

AZZA
09-16-2012, 06:19 PM
My last bout of sleep issues, i was on prescribed pills, 7.5mg ones, cant remember the brand but i slept well and woke up feeling rested, never groggy or anything but the ones i took built up even after 2 weeks of dependency i spent 3 shit nights trying to get off the fuckin things. Now i take nothing and just put up with it. But i might try the melanonin, and i have Valerium on hand. So now is where do we but the 10mgs from?

Johnnyboy004
09-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I got 10mg tabs from GNC. They sell them in 5 and 10.

paulus
04-19-2013, 07:21 PM
A big swig of Nyquil puts me in a coma. Have yet to try zzzquil but it is supposed to be just as effective without the liver damaging ingredients.

oufinny
04-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Melatonin is a vital amino acid, I use it regularly and it does not have to be cycled.

liftingiron
04-21-2013, 08:20 AM
I use it for sleep thats it.

BigKev
04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
i take melatonin and valerian root together (powerhouse combo) and i sleep like a baby every night.

ftw ^

McDouche
04-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I take 3mg every night, valerian root, and zma before bed.

I feel melatonin is essential for people who use energy drinks because caffeine binds to the melatonin. If I have a lot of caffeine one day I usually up the melatonin dose.

Velociraptor44
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
I have taken it and it does help you fall asleep.... but I never feel complelety rested the next day. I remember in a biopysch class I had the professor mentioned mel can inhibit REM. Not sure if the current data supports that though.

tokkirage
02-27-2014, 06:40 PM
I've tried melatonin for my sleep troubles. Many say it'll help you feel drowsy so you can fall asleep. This did not happen for me. However, once asleep, I would stay asleep without waking up several times throughout the night. Also, dreams were much more vivid and memorable. I'd say how it works vary from person to person. Personally, I stopped taking it regularly, as the improvement wasn't enough to convince me to continue use.

Unlisted
02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
i take natures hounty brand triple strength 3mg everynight and has helped my insomnia....magnesium seems to help relax as well at night....theres a product calld calm thats all natural that helps relax as well ive had good experiences with all.....camomile tea works for some as well to relax at night....theres alot of natural sleep and relaxation aids out there give them a shot or try some together ya never know...

exerciseordie
02-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Its a must for me on clen. Gets me to sleep and I stay asleep

jessijeni
03-19-2014, 11:19 PM
I have not tried but have heard about this supplement and it can be only used with prescription so I am not able to try it. Its a dietary supplement and mostly having good reviews by people.

Wiseguy
03-19-2014, 11:47 PM
I take 5mg melatonin from wallmart combined with ZMA. Out in 5 minutes. I do have some vivid dreams when I take them together. Wake up just fine without any issues, feeling tired or foggy.

Jayden716
03-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Up to 10 mg melatonin still did not work for me

rc705
04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
My wife uses it on my son. It really helps him calm down at bed time and sleep through the night.

B1zZ
04-04-2014, 02:20 PM
It works great for me 3mg has my eyes heavy after like 20 min

baywitit
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
1 mg is enough for me, even on tren.

compass_600
04-09-2014, 09:14 AM
It messed with my sleeping schedule but it was the best sleep I've ever had

bee-rad
04-09-2014, 12:01 PM
20 mg and nighty night ... always had odd erotic dreams weird though.... fun!

Fire
04-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Thanks,
John

Melatonin is great! Side effects are nearly zero and it is a naturally occurring substance in the body. The body takes on what it need. You can increase dosage as needed to get desired effect. Studies have shown people can take up to 9000 mg with no adverse reactions. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be used occasionally, but the body will build up a tolerance.