PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon Training

GSRacer
08-27-2012, 06:39 AM
I was roped into doing a triathlon next month, and I have been training 3-4 days a week to do this. I'm still lifting like I normally do, and I eat between 4-5k calories per day (yes I have weighed it out) and it's a bitch to keep gaining mass. If I wasn't totally on point about sleep, AAS, and diet, I would be loosing muscle. Any good suggestions out there to fight this LBM stagnation effectively?

Johnnyboy004
08-27-2012, 07:46 AM
wow..thats some serious training. How many calories do you burn during your triathalon training? My cousin just finished up an Ironman yesterday, and he lost about 35 pounds during his training. It was all muscle he lost, cause the dude was at about 6% bf to begin with. He is all naturaly, but its hard to be an endurance athelete and retain muscle.

Thats a big challenge youve got ahead of you. Triathalons are hard enough. Training for a triathalon and remaining massive must make your planning, eating, and training about 10x harder.

RAINier
08-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I was roped into doing a triathlon next month, and I have been training 3-4 days a week to do this. I'm still lifting like I normally do, and I eat between 4-5k calories per day (yes I have weighed it out) and it's a bitch to keep gaining mass. If I wasn't totally on point about sleep, AAS, and diet, I would be loosing muscle. Any good suggestions out there to fight this LBM stagnation effectively?
There's not much you can do except eat more (cliche, I know!) and get your sleep in (you want an hour or so more than you usually need when not on "extreme" training). I know you've got everything dialed in. Hang in there brother - it's very difficult to train for something endurance based and put on muscle at the same time. A lesser mortal would have been happy with losing "only" some muscle, but that's not you GS.

GSRacer
08-28-2012, 05:36 AM
wow..thats some serious training. How many calories do you burn during your triathalon training? My cousin just finished up an Ironman yesterday, and he lost about 35 pounds during his training. It was all muscle he lost, cause the dude was at about 6% bf to begin with. He is all naturaly, but its hard to be an endurance athelete and retain muscle.

Thats a big challenge youve got ahead of you. Triathalons are hard enough. Training for a triathalon and remaining massive must make your planning, eating, and training about 10x harder.

I have no idea how many calories I actually burn, but it's a lot. Dude your cousin is a badass, Ironman Tris are ridiculous. I'm doing an Olympic distance, which is a 1500m swim, a 35mi bike, and a 6.1mi run.

GSRacer
08-28-2012, 05:37 AM
There's not much you can do except eat more (cliche, I know!) and get your sleep in (you want an hour or so more than you usually need when not on "extreme" training). I know you've got everything dialed in. Hang in there brother - it's very difficult to train for something endurance based and put on muscle at the same time. A lesser mortal would have been happy with losing "only" some muscle, but that's not you GS.

Haha, I was afraid of that. 20 days left of training bro, them I'm going to beast up for ski season

RAINier
08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Haha, I was afraid of that. 20 days left of training bro, them I'm going to beast up for ski season
I'm still amazed at how useful muscle mass could be for skiing. Now if only it was a contact sport!
Let us know how the training is going as the days approach!

Deja Vu
08-28-2012, 06:16 PM

hard core bro. Best of luck in your training.

GSRacer
08-29-2012, 06:15 AM
hard core bro. Best of luck in your training.

Thanks dude! Fancy seeing you around these parts...

I have a brick Tri this weekend up in the thousand islands. Should be interesting

GSRacer
09-09-2012, 12:59 PM
The one side benefit of all this cardio is that my BF was 10% when I had it checked the other day, and I really am not loosing all that much muscle despite all this cardio. I have exactly 2 weeks until this race, then I'm blasting 8 weeks to the end of this cycle with a little Masteron added in!

RAINier
09-09-2012, 01:32 PM
The one side benefit of all this cardio is that my BF was 10% when I had it checked the other day, and I really am not loosing all that much muscle despite all this cardio. I have exactly 2 weeks until this race, then I'm blasting 8 weeks to the end of this cycle with a little Masteron added in!
How's the training going? Watch the hairline with the mast :D
What method do you prefer to measure BF%, GS?

GSRacer
09-09-2012, 02:28 PM
The training is actually going well. I'm like a bulky gazelle right now. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and he took Caliper measurements on the biceps, triceps, shoulder blade, and waist.

Oh man, my hairline is already totally effed. I gave up the fight last year. So, I'm not too worried about using a dht derivative. Speaking of Mast, stay tuned for a nice post in the research section :)

RAINier
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM
The training is actually going well. I'm like a bulky gazelle right now. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and he took Caliper measurements on the biceps, triceps, shoulder blade, and waist.

Oh man, my hairline is already totally effed. I gave up the fight last year. So, I'm not too worried about using a dht derivative. Speaking of Mast, stay tuned for a nice post in the research section :)
No finasteride/rogaine for you?

GSRacer
09-09-2012, 03:24 PM
10 years of finasteride/rogaine/spectral dnc, then the efficacy mysteriously wore off...