PDA

View Full Version : higher reps

mkpaint
07-18-2013, 10:44 AM
about a month ago I changed from 6-10 reps heavy to higher reps lighter weight and have been more sore than ever. is this good way to still gain strength and size? I know everyone is different wondering if this might be the ticket for my muscle fiber type?

Tdeizel89
07-18-2013, 11:51 AM
I think its a myth to say higher reps will only cut u up u def can get size from it too in my experiences. I like to switch it up. One week high reps one week low reps. Sometimes switch it day to day, sumtimes mix them in same week from body part to bodypart. And i only max 1 time a month. I change up alot. Muscle confusion=growing lol.

Burrfoot1313
07-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Good info. I guess I've always been taught not to do high reps...maybe I'll give it a shot. Switch it up like you said.

Tdeizel89
07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
And in my eyes hittin max alot on a single bodypart is not good in my eyes. I see ppl only max on chest and they do it every week mayb even twice a week. Unless ur powerlifting i think its pointless and bad for u. Ill max 1 a week and its always a diff bodypart. So by the time u hit max again on that part its fully healed from that beating a month later. Idk its jus good to switch thigs up. I was always lift heavy lift heavy. All i thiught wen i started at 17 and its not a good mindset. I lift way more strategic now.

murf23
07-18-2013, 04:10 PM
2 spot on post by Tdeizel . I concur 100 percent ... I have been goin a lot lighter and higher reps for about a year now due to some bad injuries and I feel and look better then ever . Also my intensity is on fire when Im training lately which is very important also my form is just fucking perfect on evry set and rep ...What a difference in quality muscle

murf23
07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Good info. I guess I've always been taught not to do high reps...maybe I'll give it a shot. Switch it up like you said.

By higher reps Im talking 12-10 with super intensity and perfect form all the way thru .

Tdeizel89
07-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Quality muscle exactly!!! Cant do the same old thing guys. And get that hey lift the fucking gym every fuckig day outta ur head!! Concentrate every fucking rep!!!;)

mkpaint
07-18-2013, 05:03 PM
I am trying for 15 but sometimes only get 12 -13. I always do one heavy set followed by 3 lighter higher rep sets to failure. I am Hoping this approach helps cut down on sore joints and ligaments.

Tdeizel89
07-18-2013, 06:02 PM
One more thing that ive learned mkpaint is dont always go to failure. Going to failure every single set is prolly no diff. Then maxing constantly. Ur burning out ur muscles to max then wen theres nothing left u sacrifice form an ur joints start takin the hit. Mostly jus listen to ur body. Good lck hope u get the resuts ur lookin for

Burrfoot1313
07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
More reps?? Don't lift to failure?? You guys are turning my whole world upside down right now.

McDouche
07-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Save the higher reps for dumbbells and isolation movements.

Squats, benches and deadlifts should never be done to failure and rarely done to technique failure. Every one I know that's truly strong trains this way.

Tdeizel89
07-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Thank u mcdouche. I was jus sitting there cat got tongue for a sec. Lol. But couldnt say better myself.

murf23
07-18-2013, 08:02 PM
More reps?? Don't lift to failure?? You guys are turning my whole world upside down right now.

When you have been doin low reps and max weight to failure for 10-15 years tell me how you joint and shoulders are doin . I am def not saying dont go to failure and also high reps for me is 10-12 . As i grown and gotten older I learned what my body reacts better from . Now I go to failure at 8 . Now my intesity is just plain fucking insane . And now my form is super strict . There is NO way to have super strict form with max weight and super low reps . I get a much much better squeeze during every single rep these days as to when I used to lift just to lift . It took me over 10 years to learn my body very well . It also took about 15 to attain all these fuking injuries . Most guys lift heavy and get big but my body dont grow like that ....But everybody please remember that when Im saying high reps Im not talking anything over 12 .... Also another great tool I have added to my tool bag these days is my stop watch in between sets > That also took my workouts and my intensity to a whole new level . Every body must learn their own body. There are some basic pricipals that are unchangeable and stand the test of time but there is so much more to learn and most of it must be learned by trial, error , and years of experience .

Edit > The negative part of the movement must be done slow and controlled . This is another new tool that Ive learned a few years ago and completely changed the game for me . I used to lift to lift I never realized that the lift is only 50 percent of the movement . I just never thought about it . SLOW CONTROLLED NEGATIVE CHANGED MY BODY . You CAN NOT LIFT MAX WEIGHT LOW LOW REPS IF YOU ARE DOING THE NEGATIVE SLOW AND CONTROLLED

HFO3
07-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Rotation of my routines on a weekly basis is my way to explosive new growth and separation. I love to read posts when someone realizes hypertrophy is attainable without heavy weights, but to the contrary moderate to light with volume. I'm old school and volume has been a staple for success. I could write a book on routines that weren't...
great thread!

Jeffro 3875
07-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Same here. I am currently doing 1 week light and 1 week heavy rotations. I'm trying to hit every fiber in the muscle with this method. My current training method on light day is 40, 30, 20, 10, 10 rep scheme. Talk about muscle break down. Extreme pumps and sore the next day every time. This is really helping me focus on strict form and controlled movement. It is also getting me well past a plateau I've been in. Keeps every part tight all day. On heavy week I'm doing 4-5 sets of 5-6 reps. I feel like I'm breaking down the muscle on light week, then solidifying it on heavy week. It's been 3 weeks now on this and my size and strength keep going through the roof. Obviously with some help from good old Test. Give it a try if your looking to change up and break past some barriers. It has def helped me.

Tdeizel89
07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
When you have been doin low reps and max weight to failure for 10-15 years tell me how you joint and shoulders are doin . I am def not saying dont go to failure and also high reps for me is 10-12 . As i grown and gotten older I learned what my body reacts better from . Now I go to failure at 8 . Now my intesity is just plain fucking insane . And now my form is super strict . There is NO way to have super strict form with max weight and super low reps . I get a much much better squeeze during every single rep these days as to when I used to lift just to lift . It took me over 10 years to learn my body very well . It also took about 15 to attain all these fuking injuries . Most guys lift heavy and get big but my body dont grow like that ....But everybody please remember that when Im saying high reps Im not talking anything over 12 .... Also another great tool I have added to my tool bag these days is my stop watch in between sets > That also took my workouts and my intensity to a whole new level . Every body must learn their own body. There are some basic pricipals that are unchangeable and stand the test of time but there is so much more to learn and most of it must be learned by trial, error , and years of experience .

Edit > The negative part of the movement must be done slow and controlled . This is another new tool that Ive learned a few years ago and completely changed the game for me . I used to lift to lift I never realized that the lift is only 50 percent of the movement . I just never thought about it . SLOW CONTROLLED NEGATIVE CHANGED MY BODY . You CAN NOT LIFT MAX WEIGHT LOW LOW REPS IF YOU ARE DOING THE NEGATIVE SLOW AND CONTROLLED

Murf u hit exactly wut i was trying to explain to a t. Great post brother. Hopefully ppl will read and learn from it.

Tdeizel89
07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
And nice to hear jeffro, great approach!!

murf23
07-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Murf u hit exactly wut i was trying to explain to a t. Great post brother. Hopefully ppl will read and learn from it.

Thank you my brother , Unfortunately the training section doesnt get visited as often as it should . If it dont have a sponcors name or a complaint bout cloudy gear in the title it might not get seen by to many . Sad to say

Tdeizel89
07-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I hear ya. I love showing ppl how i train n shit. Ive never had someone train with me n not say holy fucking shit after lol. N i have alot of meathead friends lol

bigben2012
07-23-2013, 11:04 AM
yea I switched to lighter more reps and look better than ever and all so feel better I have a bb week and a db week. and I go super light first set then two heavy sets reps about 8-12 then last set is a burnout set. the best of both worlds but hardly ever do I do 1 rep shit any more. yes I can bench like 400+ maybe even 500 ilbs but why. why do you have to get old before you get wise.

murf23
07-23-2013, 11:14 AM
yea I switched to lighter more reps and look better than ever and all so feel better I have a bb week and a db week. and I go super light first set then two heavy sets reps about 8-12 then last set is a burnout set. the best of both worlds but hardly ever do I do 1 rep shit any more. yes I can bench like 400+ maybe even 500 ilbs but why. why do you have to get old before you get wise.

Nice bro ...Im glad to hear that your so pleased with how your looking with your physique .. Its really amazing how long most of us were taking the wrong approach to the BB thing . Although we did see improvements over the years it just doesnt compare to the quality of the muscle some of us are building today with a more focused and smarter approach . In a way some of my injuries have been a blessing in disguise and forced me to listen more to my body and less to my ego . And yes it also took me getting old to get wise lol. I can just imagine how I'd look today if I took this approach 10 years ago instead of just overdosing on gear and expecting miracles . Maybe I would look more like my BB hero up there to the left lol.

murf23
07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I wish more people here would jump in this thread ...Id rather talk bout this any day then talk about what gear Im on > Gear is always the same its the training that changes and advances to new levels

Tdeizel89
07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
I would give u rep murf. But cant on my iphone :(. But it isnt going unseen lol

Tdeizel89
07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
And i agree with u 100%! And even in gym with gym buddys. I will help thendo new rhings and right ways. Critique them and they jus dont listen lmao!!! Only sum1 truly into it like me and has a passion for lifting will understand and actually listen ha. I learn tlnew things everyday and approaches and i always give them a shot. And it mite not be wxactly wut im into or the type of workout i like. But in long run it almost helps perfect the lifts and form of things on the things i love doing. So im always down to do new thigs!

murf23
07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Agreed ^^^^ . I also love helping guys . Especially younger dudes . Everybody walks buy these young guys without giving them a fucking minute to correct them . I always try to help without coming off like a know it all . I just hate to see the young guys coming and wasting their time . I envy them so I try to do my best to give a tip or 2 or a small conversation on technique and form and the importance of lighter weight at least until you have perfect form . It really makes me happy to help when these young kids in the gym who look at me like Im a God lmao ( I am in no way that huge lol but to them I am ) . They get real nervous when I approach them to correct something but are so shocked at how nice I am . lol

l69lou
07-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Really nice to hear people talk about this. In my gym all I ever see for the most part is guys obsessed with the friggin weight . They load it up and then maybe get 4 or 5 reps. Month in month out and always look the same. The magic formula is time under tension. The tension or load must be heavy enough to challenge the muscle. If not the body has no reason to grow bigger and stronger muscle to adapt to the load being put on the muscle. Now that's a whole topic in itself. Putting the load on the muscle entails proper form and intense concentration to make sure the targeted muscle bears the load and work. THEN the muscle must be under the load for long enough ! For me the upper body is about 10 reps and legs 10 -15. Slow the reps down and really feel that negative tension. Now of course we are talking about BBing not powerlifting. And there is a place for overlap and cycling our training. These days they call it muscle confusion. For years I was stuck in the 5 rep zone. Got alot stronger but not that elusive growth I was seeking. That's one reason giant sets and super sets are so effective, they greatly increase the time the muscle is under this intense load. I never do 1 rep max sets. I have no use for them and after many years almost all they do is open you up to injury. It's something I love about this life , you never have learned it all !! Our knowlege of this thing called hypertrophy is constantly evolving just as our physique changes and improves through the sweat and pain. I love it !

murf23
07-23-2013, 03:33 PM
My feelings exactly brother ...Welcome to a great thread of like minded BBs lol

GrumpysEdge
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys!!! You are making me look at the gym in a whole different perspective! I will be coming up with a new regime starting next week... GREAT READ!

Tdeizel89
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Knowledge is power!

Tdeizel89
07-23-2013, 05:37 PM
N i hear ya murf. Alot of stare at me the same and think wow i want to get big like u. And think i mite be the typical douchebag tool or an asshole. And then wen they actually meet me prolly think same thing wow hes a nice guy!! Ive had mayb a handful of ppl not like me for wut readon idk besides jus being HATERS! Want wu they dont have or see me doing successful/ loving wut i do, having a hot gf. Excedera. But i am the nicest guy and jus love too be huge and love to lift. I am far from ur typical douchebag tool lol! And love to help ppl get better at the very thing i love most. Nothing feels better thn knowing i helped a person do bette or motivate them to get big like me. One day i was a lil guy too. Everyone is but its jus TIME anf DEDICATION and CONSISTANCY! Thats it anyone can do it

jerseydevil
07-23-2013, 05:48 PM
This is a great thread!!! I started out 23 years ago not considering myself a bodybuilder, or even a powerlifter, but a power builder! Never below 20% bodyfat, at times having a decent diet, but mainly eating like crap. Lifting in the 1-6 range on compound movements, 8-10 range for most isolation movements. My main focus was getting stronger, and wasn't concerned with how I looked. Took plenty of gear to boot. At 57 years old, my knees are fucked, both elbows have arthritis, 2 years ago had surgery to repair a complete tear of the rotator cuff, and now the other was giving me tendonitis issues..... ENOUGH.

After my rehab for the initial rotator cuff tear, I changed my tune. No longer is my concern on how much weight I can lift. I focus on how I look. Never going below 6 reps on compounds (well deadlifts still do 3's), and I love intense high rep 12-20 rep movements. I really don't give a fuck how much I can lift, or how much the next guy can lift. I saw a guy bench 505 lbs a few months back. The old me would have been impressed. The new me looks at this guy and thinks ..... what a fat slob, which he was. WHo cares how much you can bench. It is all about what you look like.

Right now, I am less strong and smaller overall then I have been in awhile..... but damn, this is the best I have looked maybe ever! I have been on an intense cut with diet and drugs. I will bulk later, but carefully.... 10 lbs of lean mass is stellar for me.

murf23
07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Glad your here brother ... Great post and Ive seen your recent pic for the AY contest and you look fucking fantastic man .. Really glad to hear your experience in this area . I thought the injuries would be the death of me and not let me train anymore but as it is now its just the opposite like yourself . I look better then ever . Years ago I would always look to the guy next to me to see how much he was lifting and I always had to do more then the other guy . I paid the price severely but learned lessons that made me a better man today . You dont look fantastic for a 57 Y/o bro > You look fantastic next to most guys in their prime 20's and 30's

Tdeizel89
07-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Uve been in game way longer then me. But i had same attitude im in about 6 years of lifting hard. Always was about weight. Even in that small period of time. I satrted feeling tendinitis and joint pains and rotator pains. Changed my tune quick. Ha lots of older guys too thankfully talk to me bout things. Wich is y im so into helping others. O changed around quick and im strongerrhen ever and form is perfect. I always lifted really heavy without roids which is weird bc now that i juice i do higher reps and dont concern myself so much with heavy heavy lifts. Guess its a blessing tho! Looking better then ever!

jerseydevil
07-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Glad your here brother ... Thanks for the props brother. Much appreciated. Sounds like both you and I learned the hard way!

Skip Foursome
07-24-2013, 06:14 AM
This subject is a perfect lead in for a question I have had for awhile:

When I finished my first 10 week cycle I had increased most of my weights by 30% over what I could lift in the beginning. During that time I was concerned I was going to injure myself so stayed conservative and had no issues. Now that I am in cruise mode I dropped my weights and increased reps and like you guys are saying the quality of the pumps are much improved.

My question is what should I do for my next blast?

1) Go for as heavy as I can with 6-8 reps like I did during my previous cycle?

2) Go for lighter weight and more reps like I have during my cruise?

3) Maybe a hybrid of the two?

4) See how my body reacts and adjust during the cycle?

jerseydevil
07-24-2013, 07:01 AM
I think you want a hybrid approach. IMO it's going for the singles, doubles and triples that are counterproductive if you expect to be training for a long time. Like Murf said, controlled negatives and good form are what you are striving for. Still go for the 6-8 reps, but with keeping that in mind. With me for instance if I bench I do several warm ups and go for one all out set (usually to failure) in the 6-10 rep range. That is followed by DB presses, and flyes in the 10-12 rep range. On occasion I like to do 15-20 rep sets as a shock. I don't really train much differently when I'm on as opposed to off, although I certainly feel more focused and motivated when on. You are right in dropping the weight though when cruising to guard against injury.

Tdeizel89
07-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Hybrid!

Streettime
07-24-2013, 09:41 AM
I always mix it up with the weight. Some days I'm using a weight where I can get 15 reps, other days I'm using a heavier weight where I can only get 6. I never go heavier or lighter than that though.

johndnardi07
07-26-2013, 06:45 PM
I mix it up as well.. Im always sore, well once I notice im not as sore I switch it up ,, it works.. Have the body never get use to the same stuff, always learning, ull know your body is learning when your sore .. thats my take in a few words.

murf23
07-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Short and sweet and nailed it . ^^^^

murf23
07-27-2013, 03:08 PM
So I swithed my chest workout up a lil bit today but still following my own version of high volume , high intensity training. Did 4 exercises to for chest of 5 sets each at 60 seconds rest between sets . Of course I warmed the shoulders and joints up for bout 10-15 min prior .

1st flatbench 2 x light warmups for 20 slow reps . Then 5 sets of moderate weight for 12 reps at 60 secs apart

2nd incline bench 5 sets same moderate weight again 60 seconds rest between sets. Although it seemed heavier after my first exercise started with 12 reps but by sets 3,4,5 i was down to 8 reps

3rd exercise decline bench 5 sets for 10 reps again 60 second between sets . by 4,5 set I was down to 8 reps

4th exercise cable flies 5 sets 15 reps 60 seconds rest again . Really struggled and pushed it to the limit to get 15 every set .

My form was absolutely sick . Perfect all the way through . My negatives were slow and controlled bot not super slow . My intensity was real real good today . At 60 seconds rest in between sets I can tell you that after my first exercise it was brutal to get through it . It was not light weight that I just threw around . I dont believe in light weights to grow I believe in lighter weight then going for 1-6 reps . of course heavy weight is needed to grow but heavy to a limit . So all and all I really killed my chest today and Im super satisfied with my workout today . IF YA DROP THE WEIGHT JUST A LIL BIT TO SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY IN CONTROL OF YOU WILL REAP THE BENEFITS . Just wanted to share my training with you guys today :winkfinger:

Burrfoot1313
07-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Good shit. Thanks

Tdeizel89
07-27-2013, 05:49 PM
So I swithed my chest workout up a lil bit today but still following my own version of high volume , high intensity training. Did 4 exercises to for chest of 5 sets each at 60 seconds rest between sets . Of course I warmed the shoulders and joints up for bout 10-15 min prior .

1st flatbench 2 x light warmups for 20 slow reps . Then 5 sets of moderate weight for 12 reps at 60 secs apart

2nd incline bench 5 sets same moderate weight again 60 seconds rest between sets. Although it seemed heavier after my first exercise started with 12 reps but by sets 3,4,5 i was down to 8 reps

3rd exercise decline bench 5 sets for 10 reps again 60 second between sets . by 4,5 set I was down to 8 reps

4th exercise cable flies 5 sets 15 reps 60 seconds rest again . Really struggled and pushed it to the limit to get 15 every set .

My form was absolutely sick . Perfect all the way through . My negatives were slow and controlled bot not super slow . My intensity was real real good today . At 60 seconds rest in between sets I can tell you that after my first exercise it was brutal to get through it . It was not light weight that I just threw around . I dont believe in light weights to grow I believe in lighter weight then going for 1-6 reps . of course heavy weight is needed to grow but heavy to a limit . So all and all I really killed my chest today and Im super satisfied with my workout today . IF YA DROP THE WEIGHT JUST A LIL BIT TO SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY IN CONTROL OF YOU WILL REAP THE BENEFITS . Just wanted to share my training with you guys today :winkfinger:

Murf imdid something very similar roday but i did back and chest a classic arnold workout stated feelong like king kong during back and chest day hahaha!! I hit gym 830 this morning before family picnic was there till 1130 !! Ihit 4 sets flat slow as shit hitting 16-20 reps 185 poundage , and 16-20 reps pulldowns 130 . And so forth kept reps minimum 16! Tbar rows normal rows one arm rows pullovers incline barbell and dumbell, i mean i hit it all and ill tell u wut wow!! Its been a while hittin this way and its feels good. Lately on my high rep dsys been 12 reps. And bout 2 min pause between sets! Hoorahh!!!!

murf23
07-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Good shit. Thanks

Thanks bro , I really believe it takes years before you can get a complete understanding of you own body and what really is best for you

murf23
07-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Murf imdid something very similar roday but i did back and chest a classic arnold workout stated feelong like king kong during back and chest day hahaha!! I hit gym 830 this morning before family picnic was there till 1130 !! Ihit 4 sets flat slow as shit hitting 16-20 reps 185 poundage , and 16-20 reps pulldowns 130 . And so forth kept reps minimum 16! Tbar rows normal rows one arm rows pullovers incline barbell and dumbell, i mean i hit it all and ill tell u wut wow!! Its been a while hittin this way and its feels good. Lately on my high rep dsys been 12 reps. And bout 2 min pause between sets! Hoorahh!!!!

Good shit right there also . Always wanted to do back and chest together 1 day . I gotta put a lil thought into it . I anna make sure I can give 110 percent to the other muscle group ya know . So I gotta meditate a lil before the gym on that 1 maybe next week . I always sit in my car for a while in the gym parking lot and get my head straight and try to put a game plan together how Im gonna attack that days muscle group .

jerseydevil
07-28-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm loving this thread. Sweet workouts guys!

Sam
08-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Ive been doing higher reps for 6 month now, its a good change up

murf23
11-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Bump this thread to the top

Skip Foursome
11-27-2013, 07:15 AM
My all time favorite thread, helped me immensely!

Go Murf go-I want more!

murf23
11-27-2013, 07:18 AM
My all time favorite thread, helped me immensely!

Go Murf go-I want more!

Lol TY bro ...My all time favorite thread too

Warriorblaze
11-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Aesthetics over strength? This isn't my kind of thread at all.

I train heavy compound movements at 6-8 reps. Isolation movements move up to 8-10 and abs and calves are 20 reps per set.

Warrior

Warriorblaze
11-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Agreed ^^^^ . I also love helping guys . Especially younger dudes . Everybody walks buy these young guys without giving them a fucking minute to correct them . I always try to help without coming off like a know it all . I just hate to see the young guys coming and wasting their time . I envy them so I try to do my best to give a tip or 2 or a small conversation on technique and form and the importance of lighter weight at least until you have perfect form . It really makes me happy to help when these young kids in the gym who look at me like Im a God lmao ( I am in no way that huge lol but to them I am ) . They get real nervous when I approach them to correct something but are so shocked at how nice I am . lol

I used to hate guys coming over at the gym to give unsolicited advice when I started lifting. So I don't offer advice unless I'm asked. I usually just put my earbuds in and do my own thing.

Warrior

Robcyn
11-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Great thread, thanks for bumping it back to the top. I just started a form of GVT 2 weeks ago. 1 muscle group, 1 exercise 10 sets of 10, 60 sec rest. 2 muscle groups per day 3 days a week. I will do this through the end of the year. It is an amazing feeling. My body has never felt like this before. I have been sore like it was my first week in the gym, ever. I have only been lifting, really lifting, for a little over 2 years and I wish someone would have offered some help or suggestions when I first started. So Murf, I thank you for all the beginners you see and you help, they truly don't know how lucky they are.

Skip Foursome
11-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I am sure I will have new questions, gonna read through all the posts again.

murf23
11-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Aesthetics over strength? This isn't my kind of thread at all.

I train heavy compound movements at 6-8 reps. Isolation movements move up to 8-10 and abs and calves are 20 reps per set.

That is kool but obviosly you have not spent the same amount of time as me training heavy and doing large amounts of gear over a looooong period of time ... If you did you body woyuld not be able to handle that kind of abuse any more ..Im happy the heavy compounds work for you and I also envy your abilty to trin like that BUT I can not ...Years of heavy training and gear abuse has led to numerous injuries and pains ..At some point the HEAVY trainging is not the best way to go anymore ..As you grow and your body continues to take the punishment you will have to change up your routine accordingly . Basic heavy compound movements are the number 1 key to growth as far as weights go but I also never wanted to look like a powerlifter , I prefer to look like a body builder ( not that I do but thats how I go about my weight training ) .
Warrior

I used to hate guys coming over at the gym to give unsolicited advice when I started lifting. So I don't offer advice unless I'm asked. I usually just put my earbuds in and do my own thing.

I would never go up to some dude and offer help If they look like they know what there are doin somewhat ..BUT when I see the lil skinny kids in the gym wasting their time sometimes I just cant help but to give them some good advice ...As far as giving ppl advice most ppl usaully come up to me and ask questions and Im always more then happy to help ...

Warrior

:winkfinger::winkfinger:

Warriorblaze
11-27-2013, 10:52 AM
I can understand the heavyweight taking it's toll over time.

I personally want to look like a muscular power lifter, everyone has their own ideal body. In 10-15 years I may have a different view but for now give me strength first and looks second.

Warrior

murf23
12-04-2013, 09:40 AM
I would guess the majority here are here for looks first

Darkshadowlander
12-04-2013, 10:53 AM
This is a great thread!!! I started out 23 years ago not considering myself a bodybuilder, or even a powerlifter, but a power builder! Never below 20% bodyfat, at times having a decent diet, but mainly eating like crap. Lifting in the 1-6 range on compound movements, 8-10 range for most isolation movements. My main focus was getting stronger, and wasn't concerned with how I looked. Took plenty of gear to boot. At 57 years old, my knees are fucked, both elbows have arthritis, 2 years ago had surgery to repair a complete tear of the rotator cuff, and now the other was giving me tendonitis issues..... ENOUGH.

After my rehab for the initial rotator cuff tear, I changed my tune. No longer is my concern on how much weight I can lift. I focus on how I look. Never going below 6 reps on compounds (well deadlifts still do 3's), and I love intense high rep 12-20 rep movements. I really don't give a fuck how much I can lift, or how much the next guy can lift. I saw a guy bench 505 lbs a few months back. The old me would have been impressed. The new me looks at this guy and thinks ..... what a fat slob, which he was. WHo cares how much you can bench. It is all about what you look like.

Right now, I am less strong and smaller overall then I have been in awhile..... but damn, this is the best I have looked maybe ever! I have been on an intense cut with diet and drugs. I will bulk later, but carefully.... 10 lbs of lean mass is stellar for me.

Cant believe I over looked this thread. JD I have friends that out lift me in various things but they are of a different build. No definition in any body parts just all oxes. It just doesn't genticly fit me so to say. Great thread guys keep it going

Skip Foursome
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM

These two posts right here had a huge impact on my workout routine by increasing strength, reducing soreness and improved my overall appearance. Read it, learn it, know it, live it!

wrbsuperman
12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
High rep squats = mass.

Training cns will not equal mass.

Using the muscles and getting the "pump" does equal mass.

Number of reps, rest, and set scheme are somewhat body specific and highly variable between lifters due to differences in contraction and concentration. Find what works for you and go for it.

murf23
12-05-2013, 08:54 PM
High rep squats = mass.

Number of reps, rest, and set scheme are somewhat body specific and highly variable between lifters due to differences in contraction and concentration. Find what works for you and go for it.

HEAVY WEIGHTS TO GROW !!!! But not so as so you do not have the strictest of form and slow controlled negatives ...Andbody can push the weight up > pushing the weight up is only half of a rep and dropping it down uncontrolled does not count as the othe half ... Its fucking crazy how many ppl just do half reps

sebaco2011
12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
high rep squats = mass.

exactly!!!

ClintEastwood
12-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Due to age, I've been going a little lighter with more reps. I only go heavy once a month or so. My shoulders are shot to hell. Needless to say I do a lot of reverse grip bench and shoulder presses. It's helped me prevent most of the pain I get when pressing. I can still hit 320 on bench for reps with a reverse grip. Not too shabby for an old bastard, lol. I cant help but wonder how much stronger I would be if not for the pain.

So you young guys, take of your joints. Watch your form so you don't end up like me.

ClintEastwood
12-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Edit: Take care of your joints rather.

Brostep
12-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Wow I like this post.

I've always been a high rep type of guy but recently switched to powerlifting. Two different worlds but I do have to say I like to do them both.

So with that been said, is it ok to do reps of 3-6 for your first compound and do higher reps for the remainder of the exercises or do a periodization to where some days you will lift at max loads low reps and some days high reps light loads or rotate them weekly?

I mean we only have one body to work with and take care of, and I do not want to damage any joints or tear anything up and suffer as I get older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)