• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

405 BB Squats...What's a good rep range?

6-12 depending on what ive already thrown at my legs before that

It depends on the person. I warm up, 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates 4 plates then start my work sets so I guess I do 12, 12,12, 8 then worksets. But if I weighed like 180 that might be a working weight and I'd do 5 reps.
Not a silly question but it has no real answer either.

I respect someone who can legitimately get 5 reps with 4 plates. This is such an easy exercise to manipulate form so as to "get parallel" but fold your body up like an accordion. Conversely, I've seen guys sit with their asses inches off the ground with 4+ plates on their back then rock forward and squirm to get up. My knees hurt just thinking about that.

Short story long, I guess 4-6.

I guess it depends on your goals but I personally push for a small gain each time. I don't get all excited about massive strength gains anymore because I've learned that my tendons just don't keep up with juice-fueled muscle growth.

A month ago, I was happy with 2. Now, I'm looking for 4-6. In the coming weeks, I hope to be seeing 6-8. Once I can get 8 pretty confidently, it's time for a couple of quarters and the process starts again. Going for 2, then 4, then 6, then 8.

I sit pretty deep when I do squats. I don't have any real use for doing a 'working' rep if I cannot work the full range of the muscle. I still jump up a plate and do a couple of shallow squats just to give my body a little preview of what's coming once'n awhile. It lets me get comfortable with the weight and feel out the weak spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i usually do 3 sets of 8 at 405. It kills but man do your legs grow.

IML Gear Cream!
Depends on the lifter........Platz probably could have done 50 reps with 4 wheels in his glory days

if i cant do 8+ reps i dont do the weight, there has to be a balance of weight and volume, maxing out or doing a couple reps of a heavy weight is a wasted set imo

test1 is right too many guys don't do enough reps and wonder why they aren't growing when they bench 350 lbs kicking and screaming and dumbbell shoulder press the 85s for 4 reps.. I warm up with front squats + 1 set of light leg extensions to get the knees juicy. Ill go 3 sets of front squats, with 1 plate, Body weight, and then 2. 2 plates on a front squat is heavvyyy for me if done correctly. Then I start my normal squats going 2, 3 , 4, plates. Each 5-8 reps. Usually goes 8 6 5 5. Btw front squats suck I rep whoever else does em, not as much cheating and cant lean forward to bounce out of the hole

It's been almost 2 months since my last cycle and my numbers continue to climbs ever so slowly. Last week I managed 405x6 in squats and 405x8 for deads. Next cycle starts soon. Gonna be awesome!!

I would be ecstatic if I could hit 405 for one rep. I got stuck in the hole with it last time I tried lol.

I'm trying my best to break through the 405 barrier. I'm making progress 1 rep at a time. Each week I try to add 1 rep to the previous week. I'm standing over the bar right now getting ready for this weeks try on the 405 dead lift. For me, getting past 405 has become a mental barrier. I wanna rep it 8 times before moving up, I think I may toss that out the window tonight though.

Epic fail. Went down a rep. Maybe next week will be better. Gonna grind out some lighter reps and call it a night.

edit: You can pull 405 only 8 times but can squat it 6? That's odd. I can pull 495 for 6 and can't even squat 405 once. Are you sure you're hitting depth?

True, got side tracked a bit.

Get Shredded!
Where ever you start no matter the weight or amount of reps. Always try better yourself with the next leg session.
If you can push out 5-7 reps this week try for 1 more the following week and so on.

low reps high weight

Mine change depending on if they are explosive or not. Plus I use chains and bands a lot. Squat is always my 3rd movement so weight means nothing to me as long as my quads keep growing.

Back