• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Joint Replacement Recovery

ironman59

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Greetings,

I've been AWOL for a while. I'm 67 and have trained since age 18, but two of my joints began to fail at age 50, and my training went down hill for 16 years, until I pulled the trigger on joint replacements 11 months ago. One shoulder, one hip. Anyone out there dealing with joint disease, there's hope! I've been back in the gym since the surgeries and the gains are coming fast now. I won't lie, the recovery is hard, especially the shoulder. And, I'll never bench 400 or squat 500 again, but I have my gym time back, and I'm good. The training becomes an important part of our lives, and you all know what I mean.

Greetings,

I've been AWOL for a while. I'm 67 and have trained since age 18, but two of my joints began to fail at age 50, and my training went down hill for 16 years, until I pulled the trigger on joint replacements 11 months ago. One shoulder, one hip. Anyone out there dealing with joint disease, there's hope! I've been back in the gym since the surgeries and the gains are coming fast now. I won't lie, the recovery is hard, especially the shoulder. And, I'll never bench 400 or squat 500 again, but I have my gym time back, and I'm good. The training becomes an important part of our lives, and you all know what I mean.

Congrats sir

Nice to hear you are back at it.

I never had replacements, but I had a nasty partial tricep tear and nasty arthritis and tennis elbow on one side and I know what you mean. I had to train super super light and it would literally hurt if someone bumped into it.

I ended up doing a cortisone shot, then using BPC and TB to heal the partial tear and honestly I stay lighter and with less momentum and it's not so bad now.

I also tore my quad 100% off 3 years ago. Its reattached with kevlar and I have a broken drill bit in my kneecap to this day LOL.

I dont go above 225-315 on squat ever now. Just too much risk. The joint is tight, not painful, but I have less ROM and the muscle doesn't want to return to normal size either.

So I kinda feel ur pain. I wish you the best and ty for sharing.

Could use tb500/bpc combo and possible ostarine for it therapeutic benefits..

TB, BPC, and a therapeutic dose of GH would help a lot I'd imagine.

Glad things are going good already! I'm only 34 but I have the feeling I'm going to end up with a major shoulder surgery in the next couple years. Gives me some hope!

TB, BPC, and a therapeutic dose of GH would help a lot I'd imagine.

Glad things are going good already! I'm only 34 but I have the feeling I'm going to end up with a major shoulder surgery in the next couple years. Gives me some hope!
GH definitely would be a good addition.
I'm dealing with a left shoulder injury presently. The fun never stops.

Congrats sir

Nice to hear you are back at it.

I never had replacements, but I had a nasty partial tricep tear and nasty arthritis and tennis elbow on one side and I know what you mean. I had to train super super light and it would literally hurt if someone bumped into it.

I ended up doing a cortisone shot, then using BPC and TB to heal the partial tear and honestly I stay lighter and with less momentum and it's not so bad now.

I also tore my quad 100% off 3 years ago. Its reattached with kevlar and I have a broken drill bit in my kneecap to this day LOL.

I dont go above 225-315 on squat ever now. Just too much risk. The joint is tight, not painful, but I have less ROM and the muscle doesn't want to return to normal size either.

So I kinda feel ur pain. I wish you the best and ty for sharing.

Funny how you describe your knee...I too had a complete rupture of my left quad tendon in June 2002 at the age of 42...surgery was done 3 days later...I experience tightness that I describe as having a wooden knee...I also have not gone past 315 for triples in the squat...

Funny how you describe your knee...I too had a complete rupture of my left quad tendon in June 2002 at the age of 42...surgery was done 3 days later...I experience tightness that I describe as having a wooden knee...I also have not gone past 315 for triples in the squat...

Precisely. Oddly my right quad is smaller and shorter now but has like triple the striations lol

I find that during squats, if I stretch that quad after every single set, it improves my ROM greatly and even days later I'm not sore.

EDIT : Wrong thread sorry

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
At 54 and training since age 12, joints and tendons are hurting, along with degenerating discs, etc.
(Shoulders, knees, back, elbows, all of them). Aging sucks and lifting for so long takes its toll, but its fun still. Not being able to do it would be much more painful mentally.
So we press on... Glad you are back at it OP! (IM59).

Back