• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Deadlift shoes

dirtymic1987

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys I've been looking to increase my deadlift, i feel like ive hit a small platue and i was reading some articles that suggest wrestling shoes or chucks for deadlift days. and to not wear running shoes due to more distance between you and the ground etc

opinions?
my form is pretty good ive had some people critique it in the past and had some guys i trust work with me on them so i know theres always room for improbement but its not form thats causingthe platue.

so what do you guys think?

Switch the plates to 35's so that you train farther in the hole. That should help you break thru a plateau. As far as shoes, I used to train deadlift with running shoes and switched to no shoes at all. Big difference. With running shoes my ankles felt unstable, like my feet would slightly roll. Without shoes you are completely flat footed and stable. Of course deadlifting shoes would be ideal.

Switch the plates to 35's so that you train farther in the hole. That should help you break thru a plateau. As far as shoes, I used to train deadlift with running shoes and switched to no shoes at all. Big difference. With running shoes my ankles felt unstable, like my feet would slightly roll. Without shoes you are completely flat footed and stable. Of course deadlifting shoes would be ideal.

I like the 35 plate idea... But I would need an extended bar:)

Another plateau buster is to try some rack lifts for a few weeks. Go real heavy

i have some wrestling shoes that I use for squats and deads. Honestly I like running shoes better.

I switched to bare foot deadlifts and squats. I was thinking about getting some lifting shoes but thought I'd try the barefoot thing first. Gotta say I like it. I've lifted with running/training shoes my whole life but I really like the "connection" I feel barefooted. I'm not pushing through the cushion of the shoes. While it's a small thing it does make a difference especially when going heavy. Also those I've noticed the lateral stability is lacking in those shoes. While barefooted I'm not laterally pushing out against a soft surface. Again, a small thing but to me it makes a difference. I imagine the lifting shoes with their flat hard soles and strong siding is the same thing. Maybe someday I'll plunk down the $200 for a decent pair but for now I'll just take off my sneakers.

As for working from a deficit I like the 35lb plate idea. I occasionally do dl's off of aerobic steps. The ones in my gym are old and kinda flimsy so I don't go heavy on them. But it works for the occasional workout.

Another way to help break a platue I like is doing Pull Throughs. Low cable with a rope, standing facing away from the stack and rope between my legs. Hip hinge down and back keeping a neutral spine and chin placement, then stand back up squeezing glutes and hams. I don't add a front delt raise here. Not important. Just trying to work the posterior chain more.

Awesome thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna try going naked I mean barefoot and do the deficit and go from there I'll let you know what happens

Chuck tailors, any minimus type shoe, or in socks....as for socks they make ones for deadlifting that come up high and are thick to protect shins...you see the crossfitters wear then every now and then.

As for breaking platues try things like heavy rack pulls, or like above use smaller plates, and dynamic lifts.

Where do you miss the lift?

When you say miss you mean what weight and rep do I continuously fail at? I do 4 sets for dead lift at 6-8 reps and heavy weight for 2 months I've tried to add only 5 lbs to ending set and can't even get two reps out of it even if I drop to three sets and don't do a fourth I still fail at 4

IML Gear Cream!
I like the 35 plate idea... But I would need an extended bar:)

Another plateau buster is to try some rack lifts for a few weeks. Go real heavy

i have some wrestling shoes that I use for squats and deads. Honestly I like running shoes better.
Yeah I bet you do strong Mofo! ..... Rack pulls seem to work for some, but I think for most its the 'getting off the floor' that matters most. But...shhhiiiittttt. In the hole, and heavy rack pulls, great combo

Another thing I like to do is heavy stiff legs deads from either a small box or some flat plates to where I'm pulling from my toes.

Another thing I like to do is heavy stiff legs deads from either a small box or some flat plates to where I'm pulling from my toes.

LOL - I'm not even close to flexible enough to go that far down

When you say miss you mean what weight and rep do I continuously fail at? I do 4 sets for dead lift at 6-8 reps and heavy weight for 2 months I've tried to add only 5 lbs to ending set and can't even get two reps out of it even if I drop to three sets and don't do a fourth I still fail at 4

What part of the movement is hardest for you?

Also if you're going heavy every week that's your first mistake.

Sorry I misled you I switch up eow 1 week heavy and then one week high reps.. but just getting off the floor is where I missing the lift..
My flexibility is pretty good I'll try straight leg deadlifts and rack pulls too

If you are having problems with strength issues and platues a good source of info would be vids and articles by Louis Simmons, Glenn Pendlay, and Charles Poluquin. Between those three you should get plenty of tips and instructional vids.

If it were me I would:
A) Get some wrestling shoes or Chucks
b) On heavy days practice pulling standing on a 2" black or plate
c) on light days do deadlifts to the knee (just lift it to your knee and set it down and do it again). I would do 60% of your 1RM for 4 sets of 4. These suck a lot more than they sound. And they work.

I really appreciate the help guys I'll I've got some old chucks I'll throw on and try to break this plateau ... I'll keep ya posted on how I do

Get Shredded!
I use inov8 210's that I found through 6pm.com for $45 & free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Try it without shoes!

i like deep front squats and leg presses to help get out the hole.

deficits are always good - i been using a 1" deficit for the past 10 weeks & i feel i improved quite a bit from out the hole.

maybe try some speed days as well, where ur using 45-60% of ur max and exploding thru about 6 sets of 2. Rotate some weeks of that and 'heavy day'...and even just some rep days where ur hitting some 70-80% numbers to build a decent base.

i like using deadlifting slippers as well - i believe they're like 10 bucks or u cud probably just go to walMart and get those water shoes - might b able to do the trick. Chuck Taylors and those old kung-fu slippers will work as well.

I wear my chuck's sometimes to, just have to pull the laces really tight...but not too tight where you can't feel your feet. Careful tho, you can still roll your ankle.......

I got nike rom 2 s for squat an do deads on them but i like stand on bumper plate to help pull out of the hole thats juat me tho

Mark bells version of chucks..blow chucks way out of the water in performance and apperance. In my opinion a hell of alot more show for practically the same price

Back