• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

Fucking high calves help!!

Jrow

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Soo I have been cursed(maby blessed) with high calves, cant seem to ever get them bigger but love working them out along with legs, always see strength improvements but not size, anyone got tips advice etc.... Open for anything

Stop targeting them, and just go back to the basics on leg days, squats and deadlifts (normal and Romanian). Do these all with non shoes on, and then just sit back and watch your calves grow.

Train em heavy! Forget the 20-30 reps. Heavy for 8-12. Worked for me.

DC training did incredible things for my calves. 10 sec Hold at the top... slow 5 sec controlled negative... and hold the deepest stretch you can at the bottom for 10 sec.

Heavy heavy sets. Staggered sets. Drop sets. And what pittsburgh said. Full range of motion is very important to get the fullness. If you do all this ur going to get sum great results!!

Or even better, if you can do it, go out into the woods once or twice a week, and spend 45 minutes. Walk around and find a stream bed, gully, small hill or any other obstacle. Then, pick a point in the distance ( it doesn't have to be far away) and get there as quickly as you can, focusing the whole time on the stability your feet have on the varied terrain. Walk around for a bit, find a new spot, and repeat. Seriously, when an guy on my ski team is lacking in the lower leg department, this is what he has to do in his off-season. Keep the workout quick, intense, hillly, and brief.

The reason I personally dontgetva benefit from targeting groups like my calves (abs too) is the gym is that you get forced into a "fixed motion" activity, and small muscle groups like your calves needs to have the added task of stabilization to grow effectively. Just my experience. Sounds like other have success in the weight room with specifically Targeting them, which is nice to hear. I like all the perspectives on this thread!

Im down for that too GS course I do live in a desert jus gotta adjust probably but I get the concept , pretty sweet all the good info ppl give thanks guys!!!!

IML Gear Cream!
Ya I dont wanna blame genetics or anything but legs n calved are my toughest areas to get size , Iwork legs twice a week n its my fav lifts of all I got the bodytype of the skinny guybuilding up instead of the bigger guy cutting and trimming lol if that makes sense(the infamous chicken legs lol see strength always improve

Or even better, if you can do it, go out into the woods once or twice a week, and spend 45 minutes. Walk around and find a stream bed, gully, small hill or any other obstacle. Then, pick a point in the distance ( it doesn't have to be far away) and get there as quickly as you can, focusing the whole time on the stability your feet have on the varied terrain. Walk around for a bit, find a new spot, and repeat. Seriously, when an guy on my ski team is lacking in the lower leg department, this is what he has to do in his off-season. Keep the workout quick, intense, hillly, and brief.

I never thought of doing this but it makes perfect sense! I'm a big outdoors men (hunting) and walking around always gives my calves a workout.

More for functionality and less for bodybuilding, i balance on one foot for timed sets. You'll feel the burn in all the small muscles in the feet as well as the calves and the shin muscles.
When you can do it for 2 min, look up the whole time, when you can do that for two min, close your eyes and balance.
Try to balance on the ball of your foot on the edge of a step, get a Lil stretch while doing this variation and your whole lower leg will be screaming.
Sounds stupid, but it's pretty effective.
Oh, and GSRACER's tip seems really good too. Walk around the woods like a fucking NINJA! Function over form, and the form just naturally comes... Fuck "all show and no go".

Last edited:
I do 3-4 sets of calves almost every workout and its made a difference. I also do them on leg day but a lot more sets.

I do several things mentioned here... calf raises with good control 3 second positive 3 second negative with full stretch 6-8, 8-10 reps targeted. Also do statics each leg 10seconds and go heavy. I walk 10 minutes on my toes on the stair stepper do squats, front, overhead etc. I have a pretty intense leg day lol...its my favorite training day of the week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is your goals here to put your calves (and legs) in a destabilized environment? Thanks.

some really solid advice here!! years of running and cycling built my calves. now i train them very heavy and use the stepmil and stay on my toes only.

Back