PDA

View Full Version : Any runners out there..?

MuscleInk89
06-23-2013, 05:39 AM
I ran on Wednesday with my girlfriend on the newly rebuilt boardwalk. I did 2.5 miles with push-ups in between every .5/mile. Yes I did stretch out my legs before attempting a run since I haven't ran for a few years. Well Friday came along & at work I could barley put pressure on my heel. Sucks bc I am in a heavy construction union.. I figured hell, ill take it easy and go home to soak and ice it. Well today's Sunday. This ankle is still hard to walk on, little swelling rite below the ankle bone. Has anyone else had this happen from a run? Maybe I pushed myself to hard..? Should I check in at the ER for X-rays...? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

jas101
06-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Just walk it off! Lol. Seriously, probably should have a doc look at it.

MuscleInk89
06-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Just walk it off! Lol. Seriously, probably should have a doc look at it.

I have been walkin it off haha. Since Friday when it really started to be more painful. I never get injuries but until I do, I hold off to see if it'll heal on its own before taking further precautions. Yes, I'm hard headed.

Streettime
06-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Hey bro! I've been running for over 20 years now ... probably had just about every runners injury known to man too lol ... sounds like u hit a run a little too hard after not running for so long.... could be any number of things but most likely its an inflamed ligament and or tendon. Very common for people when they haven't run in a while. If any of those tiny bones were broken it would be REAL obvious to you. I've stress fractured the small bones in my foot on two occasions ... both long runs on hard surface. It blew up like a puffer fish and hurt like hell ... couldn't walk on it or even put a shoe on. Yours doesn't sound quite that bad so I'm thinking theres probably nothing broken but obviously only xrays could tell u for sure. I would alternate hot and cold to stimulate blood flow to the area ... ice for 20 min at a time, three times a day and hot soak with epsom salts a couple times. Wrap it up if u have to walk on it but rest is best. If u don't see improvement in a week or so, I'd definitely hit up ur dr. Runners injuries are very common ... very important to wear running shoes made for running and replace them after 500 miles ... also, avoid running on streets and sidewalks if possible ... hard surfaces are hard on your body. Hope ur feeling better soon bro

MuscleInk89
06-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your knowledge streettime!! I can put a shoe on. Still hitting the gym since I started a new cycle last week. When I apply pressure to walk normally, the sour area feels like grinding and twisting going on in the muscle. I bought some Nike 5.0s for running. Brand new haha. I do have flat feet though... Maybe that has something to do with it? Ill buy some Epsom salt and soak it, along with 20min on/off ice. Hopefully I can run again soon, the pump in the quads after a pin then running is awesome!

Streettime
06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Sounds like ligament and tendon inflamation to me bro ... flat feet could definitely be a factor especially with shoes ... check out roadrnnersports.com ... huge selection of running shoes but whats nice is they break down each shoe by foot shape: flat, high arch, medium etc and by footstrike: How u naturally run, striking heel first or outer foot or balls of ur feet ....... most people don't know this but running shoe companies make shoes for all types purposely, and thats why so many diff models exist. They also break them down further by feature of the shoe: extra cushioning, stability control, distance trainer etc ... nice guide to help u get the right shoes for you individually. Ur flat feet may have played a role but I'm more inclined to think it was a long run after a long layoff crom running ... you've probably added considerable body mass as well since your last run a couple years ago ... it will take a while for all those small stabilizers in the lower legs to adjust to that too. As soon as I have the balls to pin my quads I'm gonna try that! ;-)

MuscleInk89
06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Went to work yesterday... Couldn't walk with the weight of a boot on my foot. Pain was really bad.. Decided to visit the ER. They thought I had stress fracture but thankfully after a few X-rays and other looks it was ruled out as torn tendons. Got a nice wrap, shoe, & some crutches. 3days off work for icing and elevation. To me that means fresh cooked meals on point and good rest haha. Cold chicken and rice gets old after awhile.

Streettime
06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Aaawwww shit :-( Well at least theres no fractures ... a cast REALLY sucks. Nothing wrong with a few days of R&R ... eat, rest, and let that thing rebuild. Keep it wrapped for a week or so when u do normal activities until it feels much better ... I'd keep it wrapped when u lift and run just as a precautionary measure for the near future, that'll prevent u from re-injuring it. The supps should speed up the healing process too ;-)